Jump to content

Showing results for tags 'attorney'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • The Consumer Forums: The Mall
    • Welcome to the Consumer Forums
    • FAQs
    • Forum Rules - Please read before posting
    • Consumer Forums website - Post Your Questions & Suggestions about this site
    • Helpful Organisations
    • The Bear Garden – for off-topic chat
  • CAG Community centre
    • CAG Community Centre Subforums:-
  • Consumer TV/Radio Listings
    • Consumer TV and Radio Listings
  • CAG Library - Please register
    • CAG library Subforums
  • Banks, Loans & Credit
    • Bank and Finance Subforums:
    • Other Institutions
  • Retail and Non-retail Goods and Services
    • Non-Retail subforums
    • Retail Subforums
  • Work, Social and Community
    • Work, Social and Community Subforums:
  • Debt problems - including homes/ mortgages, PayDay Loans
    • Debt subforums:
    • PayDay loan and other Short Term Loans subforum:
  • Motoring
    • Motoring subforums
  • Legal Forums
    • Legal Issues subforums


  • News from the National Consumer Service
  • News from the Web


  • A Say in the Life of .....
  • Debt Diaries

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start




Found 16 results

  1. Forgive me if I'm rambling, but can someone point me to some advice about power of attorney. My aunt has vascular dementia and her faculties are not good. She has issues with her short term memory and now long term is starting to be affected. My wife and I have been looking after her for the last 14 years, but the dementia has only been over the last year. Auntie owns a cottage and a small amount of land. We are now having issues with her step family - they're all coming out of the wood work and you can probably guess why. We've finally got her gp to diagnose the dementia and are taking her to the dementia liaison service tomorrow. We're hoping she will understand that she has dementia and we want to take steps to ensure she is being taking cared of properly and not going to be taken advantage of. Boris
  2. Hi All, Thank you for all your help over the many years - been a long journey but almost there. Now that I have the strength and knowledge (from here) to take on the financial system in this country, I'm now trying to help my elderly Dad fight back. My Dad was always in control of financial affairs in the past but for the last few years now has become less able to deal with the modern world and now he is showing early sign of dementia. It came as quite a shock to find out that he has 6 credit cards which are now leaving him with no pension to live on. It became noticeable last year when he was a victim of identity fraud. His bank account was cleared out twice and so he ended up with loads of penalty payment and a few defaults. I want to "put the brakes" on the charges and interest with all these companies and now feel I'm in a position to do so now that I have LPA (lasting power of attorney). My idea is to send these companies a letter saying that my sister and I are taking over financial affairs for Dad, enclose a copy of the LPA, and also start the ball rolling by asking for the original signed Credit Card Agreement. Some of my Dad's cards go back to the 80's I want to see if he has an agreement and if they don't at least put them on the back foot when I ask them to freeze his account so he can just work out a manageable payment plan. Should I do it this way or does anyone have a better idea? Best regards Fevr
  3. Mum has Power of Attorney for her husband who has Parkinsons and lewy body dementia. Whilst she's managing the day to day stuff, she is really struggling to cope with finances, not least because she's caring full time and doesn't get 5 minutes to herself most days. She's asked me for help with sorting out Dad's bank account as there's lots of payments going out every month that she knows nothing about. Spent a day yesterday going through all the paperwork she has (she saves everything, but Dad went through a phase of throwing everything away without opening it just before he was diagnosed) and I've brought home everything I think is relevant, but dealing with it all is not going to be simple - for lots of things all I have to go on is a name, not even a reference - and though I have a copy of the PoA and signed authority from Mum, I don't think the banks etc are going to want to talk to me. It would be a lot simpler if Mum could add me to the Power of Attorney, but from what's on the OPG site we don't think this is possible. Does anyone know of a way around this?
  4. Hi I have found myself with a new problem. My Mother who is 82 years old went into residential care with advanced Dementia 6 weeks ago. I was her registered Carer, I helped with her finances but when she went into care I could no longer afford the minimum payments on her credit card. I notified the Co-operative Bank explaining the situation, sent a copy of the Mental Health form completed by her GP and a copy of the Power of Attorney. The Co-op are now requesting I take an original certified copy of the POA into a Branch, the nearest being in another town, before they can speak to me. I am doing my best to sort everything out and am grief stricken, Mum lived with me, has no assets or savings and the care home is being funded by the Local Authority. As a POA holder am I now responsible for her debt? and any advice what I should do would be very much appreciated. Many Thanks
  5. My Mum In Law is in a local care home and today I received a letter from the home asking for a copy of the Power Of Attorney for her, which we do not have. The same letter also stated that if we do not have Power Of Attorney for her, the home would look into appointing an Advocate or Welfare Deputy through the Court of Protection. Can anyone please advise what this is at all? I do not want to visit the home to talk about the letter without first being at least aware of what it all means. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  6. My brother in law obtained POA over my son without consulting me, My son tells me he never asked for his uncle to become his POA, I cannot get access to my sons accounts (at his request) indeed my son cannot view the state of his account himself, My son wishes to cancel the POA. where do I stand in this matter
  7. i have just been given power of attorney over my father , his grandson is 45 and been living with my father rent free bill free all his life, my father has been in a home for over a year and the grandson has been using my fathers bank card, there is a police investigation due to over 10 thousand pound being stolen from my fathers account the outcome of this investigation is near , but my question is , i have asked the grandson for the spare set of keys for the house as i need access to the house paper work ect but he has refused to hand the keys over to me , i want to do this the correct way , what can i do ?
  8. please redirect if posted in wrong place mother in law has dementia wanders got ran over 3 weeks ago thank goodness not to bad. had mental capacity test done in one hospital conclusion lack of it. moved to different rehab unit they at first said they wouldn't accept other hospitals conclusion her home social services did the test. how do we as a family apply for both financial and medical power of attorney she cant consent herself
  9. Please does anyone know how companies and specifically banks, appoint employees to have Power of Attorney and where I can find that information I have tried Companies House
  10. I am asking for advice on behalf of my partner. My partner jointly signed a power of attorney along with his sister back in 2004 regarding his father's affairs. Over time his father has suffered bouts of ill health and stays in hospital. Last time he was in hospital he told my partner he didn't want to go home; however my sister persuaded him to go home against his wishes. Her concern was that if he went into a nursing home there would be no inheritance left. Anyway my father has since suffered further ill health and is indeed now in a care home. My partner's sister failed to inform my partner for 3 weeks were his father was so he couldnt visit him. In the meantime, she has sent my partner a solicitors letter wanting him removed from the said power of attorney. She claims that my partner has had no dealings with his father but that is hardly surprising since we didnt know where he was!! My partner has sent a lengthy letter of grievance in response. My partner has never had a copy of the power of attorney so cannot remember what it contains. Just asking for some advice; he is reluctant to sign because he is concerned of his sister having full control of everything and king him to be a bad person by bad mouthing him to the solicitors.
  11. Hi, I`m not sure if this is the right forum to be asking this but dont know where else to look. I have a parent (My mum) who is disabled with multiple sclerosis. since 2010 she has been in a care home as my Dad tool ill at this time and he was her main carer. He passed away in late 2010. My dad was her appointee and dealt with her benefits and when he passed this was transfered to me. He also had left a pension which should of paid my mum a lump sum of money and a widows pension on a monthly basis. I have tried to claim this on my mothers behalf but they refused blank saying I need to be her power of Attorney. I have no idea how to go about getting this as my mum did not appoint anyone when she was fit and able. I live in N. Ireland, (I`m not sure if its a different process for different parts of the UK?) Another question I have is if there is even any point in claiming the pension for her. Her care is trust funded and I am unsure if it will go straight to the trust to fund her care or wether she is allowed to keep a certain amount? I`ve read a few things that she may be able to keep £16,000 (which the lump sum for my fathers death is below). Also she had her own pension, it wasn`t for a great amount as she took the MS at a young age (early 30`s).. a letter came recently saying that her pot value was (£6000). I have read that in exceptional circumstances (IE permenant disablement) that it may be possible to take it as a lump sum. She is 54 now. I`m just not sure what to do, My mum has no savings and Ive seen her go down hill rapidly with the MS recently and I fear the worst should something happen.It would be a struggle atm for me to cover funeral expensis. Ideally I would like to get her this money and put it in an account should the worst happen someday. Lastly, is it possble for me to open one of those over 50`s funeral plans on my mums behalf, I have seen a few advertised and for a few pound a month they cover funeral costs. Sorry if my post sound morbid but recently seeing my mother deterioriate I have been thinking I need to plan for the worst Jack
  12. Since 2002 I have had an EPA for my husband which states "to be my attorney for the general purpose of the Enduring Powers of Attorney Act 1985 with general authority to act on my behalf in relation to all my property and affairs" The only institution I am having trouble with is Natwest Bank. I do have online access to his account but they are refusing to change the address. I'm pretty sure the address they have is from 2008 which is where they are sending the post to - but they won't confirm this. The excuse is Data Protection! They tell me that the EPA only covers me for dealing with his account - they want a letter from him for the change of address. He can't do this - he has Bi-polar disorder, cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy. He can neither talk on the phone not hold a pen. Any advice or help would be great. Thanks
  13. I am a carer for my elderly uncle who put a lasting Power of Attorney in place when he had a spell of ill health. There have not been any problems with the health side of the POA but when I went to his bank to register the Financial POA they said that once I registered it with them he would be denied all access to his accounts and I would resume all responsibility. I naively thought that the POA could be attached to his account ready to act on his behalf as and when needed. I walked away from the bank at that time as I didn't want to deprive my uncle access to the money in his current account, he regularly walks to the bank to cash a cheque which in my mind keeps him fit and active. My uncle is now in hospital and his mental capacity has declined further. Is there a way I can register the POA with the bank so I can take care of his financial matters and continue to do so without depriving him of the ability to cash a cheque when he returns home? Alternatively can I register the lasting POA with the bank and then with the POA in place, instruct them to keep him as a signatory on his current account?
  14. hi all i need some advice for my inlaws on what route to take next. I will post a complaint letter for you to read that we sent to Allguard, its easier to read the letter to know what has gone on and any help or advice anyone can give would be much appreciated this is the letter we sent Dear Sir / Madam, I amwriting to you concerning our ‘Power of Attorney‘to make a formal complaint. In May 2012 we had a leaflet posted through our doorabout Allguards services and what you provide. On the 25th June 2012we sent a text message to Mr **** asking him to visit our home todiscuss Power of Attorney. After Mr***** processed all the relevant paperwork he came to see us in July2012 to sign the said paperwork, to which we paid him £420. The chequewas then cashed on the 19th July 2012. Onthe 12th September 2012 my husband, myself, my daughter, my son andalso 2 other witness’s signed the relevant paperwork for Power of Attorney infront of Mr ****, to which we paid Mr **** another £534. Thischeque was cashed on the 28th September 2012. Afternot hearing from Mr **** for some time, I proceeded to call him inOctober to bring to his attention we had not received any of the paperwork towhich we were told he would ‘chase it up’. After waiting another few weeks we still hadn’treceived any paperwork or any contact from Mr ****, so I proceeded tocall him on the 26th November 2012 to which there was no reply. On the 30thNovember 2012 I sent Mr **** a text (SMS) message, on the 1stDecember 2012 Mr***** telephoned to say he would come to our home tosee us on the 3rd December 2012 but after having this telephoneconversation he decided he would not need to come in person. Onthe 14th December 2012 I sent Mr **** a text (sms) messageto inform him we still hadn’t received any paperwork, to which he called viatelephone to say the paperwork would be with us by the end of the week. On the20th December 2012 I sent yet another text (sms) message to informhim again that we hadn’t received any paperwork. Onthe 7th January 2013 I sent another text message to Mr ****as whenever I attempt to call him via telephone or text I never received anyreply. On the 21st January, 30th January, 6thFebruary, 14th February 2013 Icalled the 24hr number 08450 523 627 and spoke to someone in the officeregarding to matter to which they told me Mr ***** would contact me back to which he never did. Onthe 21st February 2013 I called the office again to which I did geta phone call back from a lady in the office who informed me that Mr ***** would need to come out to visit us in person as we had to signpaperwork again. I proceeded to inform the lady that we had already signed allthe paperwork to which she replied that the wording was wrong on the originalpapers that we signed and have had to be redone, needlessly to say Mr ****did not contact us. Onthe 25th February I called the ‘Office of the Public Guardian’ tosee if our Power of Attorney had been registered with them, to which it hadn’tI then proceeded to call the head office at East Grinstead to make a formalcomplaint and was told that I needed to put it in writing (please accept thisletter as my formal complaint). MyHusband and I feel this is gross negligence on Allguards part regarding thetreatment and service we have received, so we have now decided that we wouldlike a full reimbursement from Allguard for £954 which is the total amounts ofwhich we have paid Mr ******via two cheques. Iexpect to receive a reply from yourselves (Allguard) within 28 days, if after28 day period I still have not had a reply I will then take my complaint to the‘LegalOmbudsman and the Office for Legal Complaints’. Please find all my contact details at the top of this letter.' After sending this letter she has since had a letter from them saying all paper needs to be redone as it the first lot were not done correctly and my in laws need to pay over another £200. they have contacted a solicitor who sent another letter to Allguard on behalf of the inlaws, but not she is advising them to cut there losses and continue with allguard and pay the next sum or theyll loose there money altogether. Surely this is absurd advice as this Allguard company has messed them around for months on end, and to which they have not replied to any letters. please if you have any advice or know what we should do next and who to approach it is greatly appreciated many thanks :-):-):-):-)
  • Create New...