last year I helped my grandmother switch from EON to Scottish Power to save some money on her energy bills,
in October of last year when they requested meter readings we noticed that the previous meter reading showing on their website was in the region of 6000 units lower than the reading we had just taken.
We contacted Scottish Power using their online contact form and explained the situation,
they requested a photograph of the meter showing the serial number and current reading,
then confirmed that the serial number was correct and that the meter read was indeed anomalous.
At this point they requested we take photographs of the meter reading every day for a week to check if there was an issue with the meter reading too fast,
we provided these
at the end of the week the usage seemed normal,
Scottish Power determined that the previous supplier had given them an incorrect opening meter read.
On 2nd November Scottish Power advised that they would go back to the previous supplier and request that they amend their final meter read to a correct one and that within 28 days the opening meter reading on the Scottish Power account would be corrected.
Shortly after my grandmother received an amended final bill from eON for £90 which showed they had amended their final meter read to the one specified by Scottish Power.
After this was paid we just assumed that the issue would be resolved.
Come late December Scottish Power sent an automated mail requesting meter readings so we took these,
upon logging in to the website again we found that the online account still showed a meter read 6000 units too low.
I replied to Scottish Power's e-mails on the matter on 25th December and received a response on 2nd January apologising and stating that they would once again get in touch with eON to have them amend their final meter read and that the issue would be resolved within 28 days.
I immediately replied to this e-mail on the same day,
advising Scottish Power that the previous supplier had already amended their final meter reading and that the issue was with the Scottish Power opening read, and that any changes needed to be carried out by Scottish Power.
I never received a response to this mail.
I sent another mail reply on 13th January,
beyond the automated
"We will respond within 48 hours" there was no reply forthcoming, and the online Scottish Power account still shows a meter reading 6000 units short of what it should be.
As far as I can tell what's happened is that either Scottish Power have made a mistake when opening the account,
as it appears from the amended final bill that eON did provide a correct final read originally,
or shortly after opening the account a Scottish Power meter reader came to the property and read the meter,
because the meter is at floor level they mistook a 6 for a 0 and then amended the meter read downwards themselves.
We just want Scottish Power to amend the meter read on their system so that we can submit accurate meter readings without running the risk of being charged for 6000 units of usage that has already been paid to previous suppliers.
Long term this issue also prevents switching providers as the new provider will be given the incorrect meter reads and the problem will start all over again.
All communication with Scottish Power so far has been in writing via e-mail and we'd prefer to keep it that way so that everything is recorded/documented.
I was planning on following the Scottish Power official complaints process this weekend,
before that I was wondering if anyone here had an e-mail address for the Scottish Power CEO that I could try and contact on my grandmothers behalf and see if they can get this issue sorted out faster.