My apologies if I am posting this thread in the wrong place, I'm a bit confused about what I should post where.
I saw the BBC's Money Programme on Tuesday, which convinced me I should try to recleiam my bank charges from Abbey. This has been an issue which has made me very angry over the years, and earlier this year I incurred £340 worth of charges when I went a small amount over my overdraft limit which caused all sorts of payments to fail and snowballed with other charges.
This wasn't the first time this had happened, and on a previous occassion I had talked to the bank and they had agreed to refund half of the charges, but on this occassion they wouldn't listen. I tried to explain that I was on benefits (which they obviously already knew), and had no hope of finding £340, and so the situation could only get worse. I got the usual response about me agreeing to the terms and conditions etc and no help whatsoever.
I went through my bank statements for the last six years and was shocked to find that my bank charges added up to over £1,000 a figure I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't worked it out for myself, so I wrote to the bank demanding the return of these charges, and sent it recorded delivey the next day.
I didn't have to wait long, and received a reply two days later. The letter thanked me for raising my concerns with them, and explained that since I was complaining about bank policy rather a specific charge the complaint would have to be referred to head office, and further, that if we could not resolve the matter satisfactorily they would send me a form with which to make my complaint to the banking ombudsman.
This seemed to me to be a delaying tactic, as I am aware that the ombudsman is snowed under at the moment and would not be able to deal with my complaint for some considerable time, so I am now waiting for a response from head office.
Whatever happens though, I have no intention of being distracted from my course of action. I will begin court proceeding 14 days after they received my letter as I advised them, and take things from there.
As I said in my welcome post, I have suffered such worry and stress over this issue in the past couple of years that I am absolutely livid with Abbey, they can have no idea how much sleep people can lose and how much misery these things can cause, or they have no heart, and now I want to take them to court. I really want to put all this on the record and will be disappointed if they settle before the case comes to court.
I suppose if they do offer to settle in full I am obliged to accept, and can't insist on going to court anyway. Is that true?
I'll keep you posted on how things go.
Good Luck everyone.