Jump to content


Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by alvinlwh

  1. On 27/10/2021 at 15:39, Andyorch said:

    Good news well done on persevering...topic title updated.




    Unfortunately just got an email from Tesco saying that they are challenging it, so it is not resolved yet.


    "You recently contacted us about disputed transactions on your account with Wimbledon Holiday Lets.


    The retailer has challenged your disputes however, we do not currently require any further comments from you and have continued to dispute your transactions. 


    The retailer now has another 30 days to decide whether they wish to escalate the disputes to the next stage of the chargeback process.  


    If this happens, we will be in contact with you to advise of their response."


    Anyone know what will happen next?

  2. Thanks for your long reply. Breaking down your points...


    1) First flight was in fact delayed to the point that even if the second flight was not changed, I will still miss it anyway. However, it probably don't matter here. Like you said, a bot (or system) did not spot the problem is quite strange.


    2) Offering me an alternative, 20h before the flight, when I got my next day planned, is not exactly an alternative. I understand that the cut off date is 2 weeks before where their liability ends? If less than 2 weeks, the odds is in my favour?


     3) Yes, I kept the receipts but no I did not stay at an airport hotel as non are suitable for me as I was travelling with a 2 & 5 yo (also the reason that some of the alternatives they offered were not suitable/possible) so I need a 4 pax family room.


    4) I did ask but the person on the phone said I need to contact Customers Relationsion (or something like that, basically a claim?) as he is only responsible for rebooking. I did ask again at check in and was told the same.


    5) Yes, I kept all the receipts and paid on card, so the payments are all on one statement.


    6) I may consult TS on this, they did help me along with my Section 75/Chargeback for a dodgy booking for this very same trip. It is just a little embarrassing to keep asking them as they are also going to assist me in a historic claim now. Perhaps CAB or something?



    The forum is a general travellers forum, with a BA sub forum with some BA staffers advising on a personal capacity. Most members are the "stuck up" type with status and complain about having a pax in the middle seat on a domestic flight type, if you know what I mean. 


    And some points for clarification:

    1. While I was notified, there was nothing in the notice that I have to contact them. 

    2. They contacted me with the alternative flights 20h before the (first) flight. 

    3. Even as close as 24h before the first flight, I got the standard automated email about covid, indicating that it is going ahead, as booked, with their systems not sensing any problems. 

    4. And finally, yes, I had travelled. 


    Surely, when I was notified of the flight change, and in any case, within 2 weeks of the flight, I should also be offered the 3 options you listed, not 20h before? All I got was an email telling me that the connecting flight had changed time without anything else. 

  4. Right, following my recent trip to London, I was delayed a total a 24h by BA due to a flight change.


    Timeline of events:

    Flight booked - June 2021

    2 weeks after booking, got a email saying that my connecting flight had been moved 1h earlier, so I have -5m to make the connection. Meaning my first flight will arrive 5 minutes after my second flight had departed. Now, that email did not offer me a change to an alternative or instruct me to contact them.


    I asked on the BA forums (not official) and I was told that the flights are "ages away", I am "panicking over nothing" and, this is the best one, "the system will pick up problems like these". So I did nothing.


    And nothing.


    Until 20 hours before my first flight, they phoned me up. They offered me a flight 3 hours earlier so that I can make my connection, which I refused as it will cause disruption to my day. So they put me onto the next day's flight as my connection is the last flight of the day. There is an option of the first flight of the day which I also refused. Either way, even with the first flight, it will still put me over 12h later than the booked time.


    My question is, does this makes me eligible for compensation? I am not quite up to speed with the post-Brexit rules, but I believe the timeframes still apply?



  5. Final update.

    After 3 months of toing and froing with Tesco where they kept asking for the same information and also communication that I do not have (remember the property is not responding), I sent them a strongly worded LBA letter and reply via their silly online system and email, they finally put through the refund. I had my TS on standby to take it further if they refused this LBA (which I ran it by them before sending out).

    • Thanks 1
  6. 10 minutes ago, The GodMother said:

    I did read your post but tou have also said you have been receiving emails from hotels.com. you need to back yourself up and have proof you have requested proof refund. So sen emails and if your ignored it looks better on your side. Also contact hotels.com in writing saying you have had nothing. Asking them to find proof. 



    Hotel.com actually escalated the issue and I received an email from them saying that the refund had been issued. However, speaking to Tesco yesterday, nothing had came through. I did reply to the hotel.com email stating that.


    Also, my TS had looked at hotels.com terms and condition, it seems that it is mainly between me and the provider now. TS advised me to go to Tesco as they are "jointly liable" for this breach of terms and conditions, which will probably be the correct route to go down. Tesco had asked me to wait a week before putting in a Section 75, and I have to comply with that (I think). 

  7. On 27/07/2021 at 19:51, The GodMother said:

    Maybe you need to pull up your big boys pants and contact them as u only have so many days 



    I am getting emails from hotel.com saying that the refund had been processed/issued. However, when I phone Tesco up yesterday, they said that there were no refunds on the system. They suggested waiting another week and check with them again. If nothing is forthcoming, use the online form to do a Section 75. They seem more willing to help this time round.

    Yes, I understand what you are saying about I "only have so many days" but the booking is for Oct, so technically, it had not happened yet.

  8. Update, after 2 weeks, there is still no refunds showing up on my credit card statement. Contacted Hotels.com and they still say I need to contact the property. However they are writing an email to the property too but I am not holding my breath for it.


    So I am contacting Trading Standards to see what else to do next to get the money back via Tesco.

  9. Like I said, check on my profile on my last previous posting.


    I was done over by Tesco for £300+ even everyone (here or TS) said they should be equally responsible and reverse the transection, I allow them to drag it out too long and lost that money.


    This time, it is a even bigger amount (£595 + £90 + £30). As you said, taking money when they are not supposed to + radio silence = alarm bells. Plus taking the remainder so early impacted my cash flow (CC bill due now) and I still need to book a new place. No happy, so not going to mess about with anyone anymore. 


    According to hotels.com FAQ:


    Refunds for credit and debit card payments

    • We will process your refund and credit the card you used to pay for your booking within 24 hours.
    • The credit may take 7 days to post to your account and 2 billing cycles to show on your statement.
    • If you have not received a credit within 7 days, please contact your bank or credit card company.
    • Like 1
  10. I actually got a reply back from the local Trading Standards (working in the same department as them means I can email their manager directly) and this is what they say.


    "I have now had a look at the Hotels.com terms and conditions and they do state that for the booking you made they act only as intermediaries and payment is with the accommodation provider so by accepting this criteria there is implied permission for your financial information to be given to the provider.


    The conditions do also state that you should get notice of any cancellation charges from the accommodation provider on making the booking so you should check for this in any confirmation email st see if there are any cancellation charges.


    S75 would apply if anything other than the cot was paid using the credit card. If the payment of £416.50 should not have been taken until September then the accommodation provider is in breach of contract and by law Tesco Financial is equally liable."



    Now, that answers my question about why the property appears on my bill instead of hotels.com. 


    Cancellation charge, well, here is my terms of booking:

    Cancellation policy
    Free cancellation until 11:00, 06/10/2021 (GMT+00:00)
    • If you change or cancel this booking after 11:00, 06/10/2021 property’s local time (GMT+00:00), you won’t be refunded any of the payment.

    Now, it is the last one that is most interesting, if you look at my profile, my previous post before this one, it is another S75 with Tesco and they ignored all my claim, going as far as putting the blame back onto me. If they are indeed liable for this one again, I am not letting it go.

  11. 50 minutes ago, FTMDave said:

    You're completely right, the £90 damage deposit is supposed to be paid at the property, not before.


    There was an option to spread the cost, pay a third now, a third in 30 days, a third in 60 days.


    There are only three reviews by so-called previous guests which would be easily forgeable.


    Do I take it you went for the option to pay up front (cheaper) rather than have cancellation rights (more expensive)?


    Yes, I saw 3 separate transection in May right after I booked and phoned them straight away. The call was answered and the person was totally familiar with my booking, which kind of made me feel a little safer. That's why I do not want to pull the trigger and cancel right away now. I am giving them a little benefit of the doubt that something had happened. But I think if I still cannot get hold of someone by tomorrow, I am cancelling.


    I took the option of 30% now and then the rest 30 days before, as confirmed by hotels.com. It is quite alarming that my card details were provided to the property without my knowledge, not to mention the unexpected hit on my cash flow. I always thought hotels.com is the one processing my card. 


    I also went for the more expensive free cancellation option, so in theory, I should lose nothing. The concern are the £30 and £90 separate transactions and the fact that the payment was not processed by hotels.com. If the property refuses to refund, will hotels.com be able to enforce it? 

  12. Ok, now I am at home and am able to type on a proper computer so I will clarify some points.


    27 May - Booking made on Hotels.com, selected book now pay later option, total cost £595.

    28 May - Three payment went out on my card, £178.50 deposit, £30 cot and £90 breakage deposit.

    25 Jun - Another payment went out for £416.50.

    12 Jul - Contacted Hotels.com who confirmed that the second payment should only go out on 9 Sep (1 month before my trip). Also attempted to contact the property via various channels.


    Further information - Even though booking was made on Hotels.com, credit card bill shows the property name instead. If I cancelled the booking, can Hotels.com enforce the refund? (it is a refundable booking)

  13.  I had:

    Called them on the number listed on Google, not in use. 

    Called them on the number listed on their website, no answer. 

    Messaged them on the email listed on their website, awaiting a reply. 

    Messaged them on hotels.com instant message feature, awaiting a reply. 


    Property is Wimbledon Holiday Lets, what is strange is their website address seem to have changed in the past 24 hours (although contact info still the same). 

  14. I never seem to have much luck with hotels...

    Recently, I booked through hotels.com for an apartment/house/flat/whatever for 9 Oct. I selected the 'book now pay later' option to spread the cost of £595.

    Payment schedule, according to hotels.com is supposed to be:

    £178.50 on 28 May

    £416.50 on 9 Sep


    However, I got charged £178.50 on 28 May plus £30 cot (fair enough) plus £90 damage deposit. I thought the last one should be an account hold or whatever it is called instead of an actual charge? 


    Anyway, got my recent credit card bill and I got charged again £416.50 on 25 Jun, meaning I had been charged the total amount, nearly 3 months early. 

    I contacted hotels.com and they told me to contact the property. I told them it is shocking that the vendor can just take money from my card out of schedule but I was just told to contact the property. Long story short, they basically just shoved me off to the property. 


    What is concerning is the Google listed number is "not in use" and the owner is not answering the mobile. I am considering cancelling my card and my booking. This is where I need advice. The items on my bill are listed as the property, NOT hotels.com. If I were to cancel my booking, can hotels.com enforce the refund even though the payment was not actually put through by themselves? If I were to cancel and replace my card now, will a refund still go through? What about things like the deposit and cot (separate items on the credit card bill). 


    Finally am I protected under Section 75 if I turn up to find there is no property for me even though I booked through hotels.com, my bills were directly to the property instead. 


    Hope this is clear enough, isn't easy typing on a phone and my office firewall will not allow access to this forum. If there is anything unclear, feel free to ask and I will clarify. 

  15. Happy new year everyone.


    Not so happy for me, so hopefully someone can advice me on a problem I am having now.


    I stayed at a serviced apartment over Christmas and when I checked in on 22 Dec, they took a £100 pre authorization off my card. Checked out on 29 Dec and thought nothing about it.


    Got an email yesterday (4 Jan) saying that there was damage to the carpet due to an iron burn. The damaged area is in a cupboard which I didn't even used and was most definitely caused by previous occupiers. They are wanting £385 for replacing the carpet.


    Checked my credit card statement and there is a pending charge for £285 but nothing for the £100 pre authorization charge.


    I have travel insurance with zero excess and personal liability coverage for accidental damage to property.


    So my questions are:


    1. Will the £100 pre authorization amount turn up later in addition to the £285 now showing as pending?

    2. How did they put a charge through for £285 when I only pre authorised £100? Can this be disputed and reversed by my bank since I did not actually authorised this amount?

    3. Should I just forget this and claim on my travel insurance instead?

    4. If going with 3, do I have to demand for a VAT (or smiliar) receipt from them? If they fail to provide, will it be possible for me to just claim using the email they had sent to me plus the credit card statement showing the fact that such a charge had been paid?


    Fact is I know I did not caused the damage, but what is the most hassle free method of not paying for something that I had not done?



  16. All NI registration numbers are in the XXX NNNN format.


    NN-X-NNNN is the Republic of Ireland format; as Ireland is a foreign country it would be impossible to register such a regisitration with the UK authorities.


    An NI registration is treated like any other UK registration. However, the registration will have been issued by the DVANI rather than DVLA, so the number must be transferred from one to the other. I'm assuming, if you have the papers, that this has been done already. In that case, the answers to your questions, based on my experience of having an NI registered car in NI and then GB, are:


    1. Yes


    2. Possibly - I had mixed results, both when my car was NI registered and when it was GB registered.


    3. No


    4. No - I was never stopped in NI or GB. Paddy the Baddy's fervour often trumps his intellect, but I don't think PIRA/RIRA/CIRA/NIRA/I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-The-IRA etc. would be stupid enough to use a NI-plated car on the mainland - though I think they learned the lesson the hard way. In any case, the relevant people would be aware if a number attached to a vehicle used by a suspect or player had been transferred.


    Thanks for your detailed rely. I decided to go with a GB plate instead as the dealer website never got back to me. I had to email them and they email the seller to see if it is still for sale, it seem.


    I like your answer 4, but I have an Irish mate whom relocated from ROI to Scotland. He had a 10 years old car with ROI plates and they unloaded everything from his car on both end of the Belfast to Cairnryan ferry to search it, including his spare wheel. Even here in Shetland, he still got pulled over by the police until he swapped over to a GB plate. :|

  17. if you sums are right its still 7000 pounds for 2years if you give it back ,so it works out at about 290 pounds a month.


    You are correct, but what you are talking about is the depreciation of a new car, which will be the same if I paid cash for it. What I was trying to work out when I made my first post is the cost of this PCP example vs a bank loan. At £45.60 for 2 years, it is clearly cheaper than a typical bank loan at 6.4%APR. Also, after 2 years, if I decided to keep the car, taking out a bank loan of £7k will be cheaper than one at £14k.


    Now I have my reasons for going with a new car and they are:

    1) Bought a second hand car from the same dealer which is showing signs of problems. Dealer is willing to take it back via trade in for £4000 and book price is £3050.

    2) I am an employee of a partner company of the dealer so I get an additional deposit.

    3) Also because of above, I get 2 free service, which I think cost £300-400.

    4) I also get 2 extra years of free roadside recovery, cost about ££80 with AA.


    All of the above helps to offset the cost of the depreciation somewhat.

  18. If you know so much why have you bother coming here and asking?


    I came here to ask to confirm if my calculations are correct, which blackknight did. I asked specifically about the cost of finance. I did not ask about the cost of mileage which is related to the use of the car, not the finance of the car. However I then get bombarded with misinformation and rubbish by people who know nothing about the subject (or do not know how to operate a calculator). The difference between £72.00 and £700 is quite huge don't you think? So is the difference between £23,675.10 and £15,810.60. I will expect a site that support the consumers at least be accurate and correct with calculations about money.


    This forum was much better in 2006 where information was useful, simple and most importantly, accurate.

  • Create New...