-I bought a £500 bike on EBay from a private seller
- listing stated “collection in person only” but after asking he agreed to post it
- I bought a Hermes label using Parcel2Go, filled out all mine and seller’s details, and sent it to him. All he had to do was to stick it on the box and wait for courier to collect
- on the day of collection I received an email that “courier wasn’t able to collect the parcel” (seller assured me no one showed up for it as he’s been waiting)
- same thing happened the next day. I knew Hermes tried to collect x3 and didn’t want to miss the third attempt so I asked the seller if he could drop in off and the nearest parcel drop off point.
He agreed and dropped it off.
- Few days later the parcel arrived empty. It was half opened. I opened it in courier’s presence only to find bubble wrap and empty cardboard box. I asked him if there is a report we should fill out in situations like that. He said there wasn’t and that this is how he collected it from the local depot. He handed me blue card with a phone number to text ( texted 3 times heard nothing back)
I took photos of the box (with courier in the background and said I don’t accept it because it’s been robbed)
- I contacted the seller. He informed police about it so he could get cctv video from the parcel drop off point proving the box was heavy and needed two people to carry it.
-I informed police on my end hoping they could take a statement from the courier who delivered the box. They listened to my story but weren’t too bothered. They said I’ll get my money back if I paid with PayPal.
- I got my money back.
- police said I’m no longer at financial loss so to them the case is closed.
- I want to fight with Hermes and P2G to get the £500 back from them so I can give it back to the seller. I’m convinced he sent the bike. He showed me the package before sending, we are in ongoing contact. He got the cctv footage etc. I feel horrible because it was me who chose the courier and it was me who asked him to post it, and now he has no bike and no money.
- I contacted P2G on live chat (since there’s no possible way to contact Hermes).
They said to allow them 14 days for investigation. They were supposed to check cctv from depots and weighting points to see where the parcel went down from 15kg to nearly 1kg
- after 14 days I contacted them again only to be told that Hermes hasn’t provided any information and now an automatic claim has been opened.
- I provided all documents they asked for and now I’m waiting for the outcome but I already got email saying I can only count for £20 since I haven’t opted for extra protection. I haven’t paid for extra protection since stealing is illegal no matter for paying extra or not. I figured they won’t loose my parcel since it was a huge box and was ready to risk the damage. The point here is that they haven’t damaged it or lost it- It Has been delivered- Robbed.
- I’ve got all the chat scripts, emails between me and the seller, listing details, crime/ incident number/ photos of empty box delivered, photos of seller dropping it of, photos of the parcel before sending etc.
I also have time and will to take them to court and open small claim. I think I might qualify for the cost relief too.
My main question here is - Do I, as a person who bought the servis and haven’t received the item can open the small claim against Hermes and/or P2G.
Can I do it even though I’m no longer at “financial loss” (since PayPal refunded me). Do I need to tell them that at all?
I hate this whole situation and hate the fact that I can’t afford to give the seller his money back and be at loss too. It was a used bike, a gift for my daughter’s 10th birthday. I don’t want the time to ease my anger and forget about it because at the other end of this, there’s an honest guy who did everything he could send me that bike.
I know there are other posts that are almost the same as this one. Please can you just read through it and say what rights do I have to ask them for money back if I already got them from PayPal.