Jump to content


Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


0 Neutral
  1. I didn't realise there was much difference, this is my first time doing anything like this so maybe a bit ignorant. Sorry for any offence caused.
  2. I wrote the letter using this template: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-before-small-claims-court-claim
  3. Update - I sent a letter of intent to the breeder on Saturday, and it was received on Monday. The letter gives 28 days to respond, otherwise I will take legal action. In any case I will eventually reveal identity of the breeder and report to various authorities.
  4. Thanks for all your responses. It is a truly distressing time for us and our pup, and the feedback is appreciated. It's a tough one with the Fridge V Puppy debate - you'd like to think a court would see it as different due to emotion but as Hightail says, potentially not(?) Pup goes in for her first consultation at the Cardio specialist on Thurs 19th, so I'll keep you posted. Once we know a more detailed diagnosis, and potential costs of "repair" I'll need to make a decision on: 1. Going to small claims court 2. Reporting Breeder to any necessary bodies 3. Exposing Breeder in public domain 4. All of the above
  5. I mean my insurance won't pay out, the breeder doesn't have any. The two things they won't pay out for: - Conditions present from birth - Conditions discovered within first 14 days of Policy start date Both apply to this case.
  6. Hi BankFodder Trust me, I'll be back. I just need to make sure everything is in line before I warn people.
  7. Hi BankFodder - Thanks for your quick reply. The dog is microchipped. The breeder has claimed on the document that at the same time as being microchipped, the puppies were "vet checked". If they had been, she'd know about the murmur. My suspicion is that she got a non-veterinary person to fit the microchip. Or got the Vet to do it and then lied about the "vet check". If we go to court we will aim to stay within the small claims boundaries. I am not willing to expose the breeder just yet, but rest assured if I don't get a positive result from either her, or court, it'll be everywhere. Do you think I have a strong case?
  8. Hi all, I am looking for some advice on action to take against a dog breeder who I feel has sold me a puppy with a misleading action. I'll try my best to be concise, yet provide as much info as possible - strap yourselves in: 17th September - £200 cash deposit paid for pup (only around a week old at this point) 1st November - Collected pup, and paid remaining £800 cash. Minimal paperwork given with the pup, but potentially crucially, one piece of paperwork, signed by the Breeder, which states: "VET CHECKED: 29th October" 7th November - First vaccination appointment at our Vets. Vet immediately finds a serious (grade 5-6 out of 6) heart murmur. He remarks that it is "the worst he's ever seen/heard in a puppy". He immediately refers pup to a Cardio Specialist hospital for further checks, to determine what is causing the murmur. Her appt is 19th Nov. I have contacted the breeder to let her know (as this can be hereditary) and try to sort out a refund / discount for the initial money spent on pup. The only option she has given us is to return our pup and she will refund. We are not comfortable with returning pup because: 1. We have formed a strong emotional bond with pup 2. Having spoken to her recently, we are unsure how she might "deal" with pup's health issues. During my back and forth's on messages with the Breeder, she has admitted that when the puppies were microchipped on the 29th October "because of Covid the nurses did the microchips so they weren't checked as they had been before when microchipped". It has now got to the point where she doesn't reply to messages and asks that we contact her via post / solicitors etc (hoping I'll just give up / go away, I imagine!) So what we essentially have is two options for what has happened here: 1. The breeder is lying, and had prior knowledge, and has sold us the pup without letting us know about the heart issue. 2. The breeder didn't ensure the pups were vet checked before sale, but still signed a document saying they had been. The upshot of this is that our initial cardio consultation and scans could cost £1000-1500. Then of course depending on what meds/operations she may need, you are looking at potentially thousands of pounds (our appt is on the 19th Nov - when we'll find out more accurate figures). The Insurance won't pay out because of two reasons: 1. The problem was discovered within the first 14 days of the policy 2. They won't pay out on things that pups are born with, and it's pretty hard to develop a serious heart murmur from nothing in 8 weeks. So... Having paid £1000 for pup, potentially £1000-1500 for a diagnosis, and then potential thousands for treatment(s) all without insurance covering anything, I am looking into taking the Breeder to small claims court. Do I have a good chance of winning back either the pup money, money for any diagnosis/treatments, or even both? Thanks in advance for any advice. Here for questions. PS: I also have my suspicions that she is not a proper registered breeder, when she should be. And also potentially HMRC may be interested in her cash only puppy policy...
  • Create New...