Jump to content

lamboboy

Registered Users


We could use some help ...

  • Content Count

    72
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About lamboboy

  • Rank
    Basic Account Holder
  1. If you don't have the v5 they charge you though
  2. Hi Andy Is this ok to send the Solicitor please? Thank you for your reassurances. I can announce my intention to withdraw the claim subject to reassurances that the production of the legal documentation, in form of a V5 will be available upon collection of the vehicle. This is in light of the correspondence I hold from the DVLA which states that legal ownership had reverted back to your client.
  3. Thank you. Will send asap. We are worried he won't have the v5 paperwork. If he doesn't; should we still take the car?
  4. Ok. We will compose an email and get you to glance over it if you don't mind please
  5. Ok thank you. Do we need to mention about the paperwork as we have a letter from DVLA stating that ownership had reverted back to the dealer?
  6. Hi Andyorch Our friend has responded as follows: You have not been properly advised. Liability does not arise after track allocation. Regardless, my client has not once indicated that they would seek costs against you. May I also remind you that as a Solicitor my first duty is to the Court and not to my client. Accordingly, I must not mislead. What you are intimating is 'sharp practice' and that in some way I, or my client, would seek an order that you pay costs once you have discontinued. I refute any inference of malpractice. For the record, the offer was open and plain – my client to bear their own costs and you to collect the vehicle. That was (and remains) an open offer which can be referred to if this case does now continue. Could we please put this matter back on track and continue with the terms agreed? In other words, you are invited to once again discontinue the claim and then collect the vehicle. Once that is done then this matter is put to rest and we can all move on. I look forward to hearing from you. ..think we've upset him??
  7. Hi Andyorch Nearly verbatum.... is this ok please? "Further to your email of xxx , I am unable to discontinue the claim until it has been allocated to track to avoid any liability of the Defendants costs. Given that the Defendant won’t release the vehicle until the claim is discontinued and the fact that there is no trust between the parties, I have been advised NOT to discontinue at this stage. However, in the interest of both parties and in bringing this matter to a conclusion; the Defendant can make application at his cost to stay the proceedings to which I will consent. With the claim stayed, permission to collect the car with change of ownership documentation and providing the vehicle is to my satisfaction, I will be delighted to discontinue the claim.... however, this could be avoided if a little trust was exercised from your side."
  8. Thank you. We'll collaborate tomorrow! Watch this space!
  9. Thank you. We will scribe a response based on your direction and will show you before we send it, if that's ok?
  10. Hi Andyorch We have contacted the court and they have said that they do not use an N157 and at present it is awaiting a mediation appointment. If mediation is then unsuccessful, it gets a court allocation. Any ideas please?
×
×
  • Create New...