Hi, I took my car in to a local garage to repair an oil leak around 2 months ago.
From what the garage have told me, it looks like there was an oil leak on the car previously which had been badly repaired. It appears that the engine ran low on oil at some point and I've now been told I need a new engine
The garage told me they would try to find a replacement engine but after waiting for a couple of weeks, I tried to find one myself.
I've been able to find a reconditioned engine with 12 months warranty which can be delivered to the garage.
I've confirmed with the garage and engine supplier that all required parts will be included etc.
The problem is that the garage is refusing to provide me with a quote (or even estimate) for the work until they have the new engine delivered.
As I have no idea what it could cost to fit the engine, I'm a bit hesitant to place the order for the reconditioned engine.
The old engine has already been removed so I'm unable to move the car from the current garage.
My only other option is for the garage to put the old engine back in the car and take it elsewhere, but this will still mean paying £600 labour for the old engine to be put back in the car.
Is it unreasonable to ask for a quote (or just an estimate) before paying for the engine. I'm a bit concerned that the garage could charge any amount and leaving me with no choice but to pay.
Any help would be appreciated.