Jump to content


Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Samanthajane_h

  1. Update! I’ve had a response from the police, and been referred to victim support. Before the police proceed any further, they want to contact the landlord. Owing to the threat of eviction and the fact it’s already an incredibly uncomfortable situation to be in, I really don’t want them to contact him. The council have also offered to liaise with him, but he is the sort of person that would consider such action as inflammatory. My partner and I have applied for a number of properties, as well as hospital staff accommodation, but the waiting list is a few months long, and there is a massive shortage of housing in the area. Any advice on what to do next?
  2. Hi, it’s rented directly from the landlord, no agency involvement at all. I’ve kept a record of every message and photo sent as all dealings are via WhatsApp. The council advised me to contact the police, which I have done, pending a response from them. They haven’t been particularly interested in helping much aside from that, they’ve simply advised that he cannot evict us for 6 months as it would be retaliatory. No electrical safety certificate (switchboard installed October 2016), washing machine runs off of an extension lead, kitchen plugs are generally a bit iffy. No upstairs smoke alarm, no CO detector. Mentioned to him that the front door was difficult to shut and not particularly secure (rough neighbourhood makes one paranoid about security) and his solution was to paint it. council won’t come any sooner as they don’t see any immediate threat to mine or my family’s health or safety- and I do understand that other people are in housing far far worse than my own. unsure if I should press police charges and potentially inflame the situation further, or just let them know that I want it recorded and not followed up.
  3. Hi all! in 2017 I moved into a private rented house with my then partner. Not long after, my partner left and I began dealing with the landlord. At the time I was a 23 year old single mother, terrified of being made homeless. The next month, I started getting messages from my landlord asking me to go out for drinks, telling me he fancied me, and requesting I send photos of myself. If I read and didnt reply, I’d promptly get a “x” or a phone call (all of which I declined). This went on for the space of a week until I sent a lengthy message explaining that I was not looking for any unprofessional relationship. Since then, I have felt very uncomfortable being alone in the house with him for inspections/repairs. My mother has had similar messages informing her of how good she is looking (he has her number as she approached him about the empty house knowing that I was looking to move). Since I rejected his efforts, repairs have taken months to be completed. I was left for months over winter with an unreliable boiler and faulty radiators, my bathtub collapsed due to poor installation (whilst I was taking a bath) causing me to experienced worsened pain (related to hypermobility syndrome), and I have had a hole in my roof for 11 weeks now. After four years of slow, sloppy repair efforts, no-shows for said repairs, and feeling genuinely uncomfortable and unsafe in my own home, I decided enough was enough and reported him to the council for general disrepair and lack of EICR testing. He has since visited, and said that due to me reporting him, he would be looking to serve notice. I am aware that he cannot do this for the next 6 months without it being classed as retaliatory eviction, and obviously I know that there is 4 months on a section 21 before homelessness is a threat. We are pending council inspection on the 22nd September. In the meantime, is there anything else I can be doing? (Moving isn’t a feasible option, I can just about afford the rent at the moment and have a poor credit rating thanks to endless problems with universal credit and student finance. As yet, the council will not accept me onto the housing list because I have this home). thanks in advance!
  4. I live in a private rented property that is littered with landlords attempted repairs and things that need repairing. Last night, whilst bathing, my bath parted ways with it’s legs and dropped quite suddenly. The legs on the outside of the bath have completely fallen off (they were stuck on with foam tape and not screwed to the floor at all) the bath had no additional support. Do i have any rights with refusing to allow the landlord to carry out the work himself (expecting a bodge job as per everything else he’s done in the house) and insisting that an actual trades person fixes or replaces the bath? Or do I have to allow him to “fix” the bath and risk further injury to myself?
  5. After a bit of help with CCJs please! My partner has just found out that he has a CCJ from October 2014. All post relating to this went to an old address and the tenant there claims to have “lost” all of it, so he had never been made aware of this money owed until today. Due to post not getting to him, he has no number to contact and no idea who he even owes money to to be able to repay it. Today he was told to use noddle to check his credit report ahead of us being checked to rent a new home. This has obviously now fallen through due to this CCJ showing up. I t had never appeared on any other credit check up until today. He left the address where the debt was registered to 12 years ago, aged 16. Is there anywhere we can actually go with this?
  6. Hi all. Just to update everyone, McDonald's has finally seen their error and awarded me the owed amount of holiday pay which is actually more than I'd expected. They certainly took their time about it but I'm guessing that it's easier for them to give me my money than it would be to deal with the bad press surrounding their treatment of a longstanding employee and the things she has seen whilst working for them! Thanks for everyone's help in this thread, it's really appreciated
  7. In shortest form, I told them I haven't received it and asked them to rectify that error. Obviously a lot more detail went into it regarding length of service and their own policy. Still no reply to my email a week later. I should have had this money nearly a month ago
  8. My maternity pay was statutory maternity pay which I was definitely entitled to (following several years of service!) there is nothing outlined in the employee handbook about not getting your accrued holiday pay for not returning, if anything it says that you will be paid what you are owed, as was the case with several people I know.
  9. It's every other Friday. Would have been payday on Friday just passed. Had no payslip at all on the day they're due (Monday before payday). Every other person I know to have left McDonald's received all of their remaining accrued holiday pay on their final payslip, which obviolusly hasn't happened in my case. I do get the feeling that the franchisee that owns it all doesn't make anything easy for his employees. He closed down a branch with a months notice when it later transpired that it had been in the pipeline for years. Then told all of the employees there that he could have just sacked all of them and wouldn't be compensating them for travel etc. Pleasant fellow
  10. I would really like some help and advice please! In the end of December I handed my notice in to my job at a franchised branch of McDonald's so that I would not return after 9 months of maternity leave, following all procedures set in the employee handbook for the company and in the belief that I'd get 9 months worth of accrued holiday pay to the sum of £420 and a P45 too. I received a final payslip with the very last of my maternity pay, but no holiday pay and no P45 as yet. I have emailed my ex employer (I always email so that I always have a copy of all correspondence) to ask for the accrued holiday pay that I had not received, outlining the fact that all procedures had been followed. This was on Wednesday last week, and I received a reply telling me that my email had been forwarded to payroll the next day. 3 working days later, I have had no further correspondence and am none the wiser as to what's going on. How long do I have to leave it before taking the next step, and what is the next step?
  • Create New...