Just looking for some advice in order not to fall into the well-reported problems with cancelling DW Sports contracts.
- Me and my wife each have a 6 month contract (which will run for 14 months if not cancelled)
- Our contracts started in Feb and March respectively.
- DW Sports terms and conditions allow for cancellation if you have a "change of circumstances" (Clause 12, Section 3) - We are moving abroad on the 15 June 2017
So, we did the following.
Went to the gym where the manager got us to fill in the online cancellation form - we did this and got a cancellation code which we wrote down.
The local manager said she would call me back on Mon 5th (today) as she needed to call the head office.
She called back on Monday the 5th and stated that:
Head Office had agreed to a cancellation and had actioned cancellation of the contracts for after the next payment on July 1st (this is acceptable to us although I'd prefer immediate cancellation).
She could not provide us with a written receipt of cancellation and that if I needed further proof I would have to use the cancellation code and contact the head office.
We should not cancel the direct debit as DW Sport would do that.
Am I just being paranoid, or overthinking or should I really pursue them for written proof of this cancellation?
I don't want to have to deal with any BS from this company in the future.
Please advise on the best course of action.
Many thanks in advance for your help!
DW's Terms and Conditions under clause 13 (I mistakenly referred to clause 12 in my post above) allow for notice of cancellation at any time with a change of circumstances
(13) You may cancel your membership:
1. by giving us at least one full calendar month's notice to cancel your membership to take effect at the end of a calendar month. During the first 14 month membership period the cancellation of your membership cannot take effect earlier than the end of the 6th month for a 6 month contract or 12th month for a 12 month contract ; or the 12th month for Home Club Memberships or memberships that are discounted or for contacts specified for a 12 month period. For Membership Renewal Periods (which are not applicable to Home Club Memberships), cancellation can take effect at any time by providing at least one calendar month's notice as stated above, even during the first 6 months of that Membership Renewal Period;
2. by providing notice of cancellation at any time if one or more of the following applies (a "change in circumstance"):
1) - you are unable to use DW Sports Fitness clubs because of a genuine and serious injury or illness which results in you being unable to use DW Sports Fitness clubs for a period of 2 months or more, and this is evidenced by reasonable supporting evidence, such as a Doctor's note; or
2) - you are made redundant or otherwise lose your job and provide us with reasonable supporting evidence, such as a letter from your employer on company headed paper or proof of entitlement to Jobseeker's Allowance; or
3) - you move house or your principal place of employment is changed and your new home and new principal place of employment are located more than 10 miles from a DW Sports Fitness club which you are entitled to use. Proof of relocation must be provided in the form of a utility bill, bank statement or signed tenancy/mortgage agreement . Other forms of documentation may be considered at the discretion of DW Sports.
if none of the above circumstances in (2) apply and you are affected by other unforeseen extenuating circumstances, we may at our discretion (and on an individual basis) consider a request by you to cancel your membership. Any such request shall be made to the Membership Services Department on 0344 249 5300; or