BANK - barclays & 1st credit
PROBLEM - Barclays sold my UK debt to 1st credit and I now live in Spain
INITIAL LOAN AMOUNT - £4900
AMOUNT OWED / REMAINING - £3509
LOAN START DATE - 10 FEB 2012
LOAN TERM - 60 months
LOAN MONTHLY REPAYMENT AMOUNT - £106 reduced to £5
COLATERAL - None
REF: Barclays sold my debt to 1st credit against our agreement when no payments where missed or late.
NB My situation can be classified under 3 forums and I have posted this message under 1st direct, barclays and debts abroad. My apologies for any confusion.
I took a loan for a car in England to do my job as a support worker for children and adults with disabilities. The loan amount was £4900.
In December 2013 I went to live in Spain perminantly and do not have a source of regular income.
In August 2014 I was unable to continue repayments of £106 and agreed with Barclays bank by telephone to reduce my repayments to £5 per month for 12 months, to be reviewed 12 months later. I paid all these repayments fully and on time.
12 months later, in August 2015 I contacted barclays by telephone again and agreed to continue repayments of £5/month for another 12 months until August 2016. . I paid all these repayments fully and on time.
I received a letter on 12 November 2015 (dated September 2015) from Barclays stating that-
- they (Barclays) have "transferred the debt you owe us to a company called 1st Credit Ltd" and
- "1st Credit Ltd will contact you to complete an income and expediture review to see what you can afford to pay after a minimum of 3 months" and
- to cancel any standing orders to Barclays
I made a payment of £5 on 12th Nov 2015 online using the 1st Credit website.
I shall make another payment using the 1st credit website of £5 on the 3rd December 2015.
I will continue paying £5/month.
I would sincerely be grateful for advice and have some questions I would like ask:
* I have read on the internet that the UK is stopping people at airports from leaving the country and demanding repayment or prison. This frightens me because I am going to visit my family soon (they payed for my air tickets). Would this affect me?
* I live in Spain and do not have either a telephone number or a postal address so:
-how are 1st Credit going to telephone me to "agree a repayment plan"? - they only have my email address to which they have posted 2 messages, one as a payment confirmation of £5 and one as an "Introduction to 1st Credit". I have not posted any emails to 1st credit.
* Barclays sold the debt to 1st credit and broke the repayment agreement whilst it was still in effect. How do I stand in this situation when the agreement as made by telephone from Spain?
* I dont want to be bullied and put under mental stress by debt collectors. Will they try to chase me in Spain when I am continuing to make payments of £5/month?
* Will 1st credit chase my family or partner's family for repayments?
*I have limited communications and no motorised transport, so phone calls must be done by cycling to the nearest town.
*I cannot receive phonecalls. Internet / email communictions must also be done using an internet cafe in the town.
*I have absolutely no colateral, no vehicles, no property, no savings / investments, no jewelry and I am not married by english law to a person with any colateral.
Thank you all for your help. Love and Light.