last month we purchased a vehicle from Arnold Clark and part ex'd our own vehicle.
Prior to agreeing to buy we made the salesman aware that I only had a provisional license and asked would that be a problem with the finance
(my wife would be the main driver until I pass my test with me driving it provisionally.).
The salesman said that wont be a problem, the vehicle just has to be comprehensively insured.
We submitted all information for a credit check and we received a call the next day from the salesman that the finance had been accepted
and asked if we could come in to sign the agreement and pay the deposit.
We did so and the salesman said everything was fine, the car was signed over to us and we supplied all the documents that we were asked for.
We collected the car a couple of days later and left our vehicle with them.
A couple of weeks later AC called me to say they needed proof of comprehensive insurance where I was the main policy holder.
I said I dont have that because my wife is the main policy holder and I am a named driver.
AC said that the finance company wont release the money to them until they have proof that I am a main policy holder
and that the car would have to be repossessed if we cannot.
I informed him that on my copy of the finance agreement it only states that the vehicle has to be comprehensively insured,
it doesn't say that the owner has the be the main policy holder.
He said "yes but that doesnt matter because on the new document from the finance company it says you need to be the main policy holder".
They are threatening repossession if I dont pay for comprehensive insurance in my name
which firstly we cannot afford to do that and secondly out of principal of the agreement.
The funny thing is they said the finance company are threatening repossession and I said
"so a finance company who has currently made no investment in this vehicle has the right to take my car away."
to which AC said that
"well not it would need to be returned to us"
to which I replied
"so AC will repossess the vehicle?"
and after umm and arring they would not give me a straight answer as to who would be repossessing the car.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if they can repossess where do I stand with my deposit and part ex'd car?