Jump to content

Rexroth

Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Content Count

    107
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About Rexroth

  • Rank
    Basic Account Holder
  1. My Landlord, a housing association, is threatening legal action for access to examine a gas boiler in my rooms. I think that the application would go before a magistrates court. My question is do I get notice so I can defend the case? There is no gas boiler in my rooms. The landlord knows this. I have reminded them several times and they don't seem to believe me. It is a case of administrative chaos rather than deliberate harassment. Any ideas, please?
  2. Brief update. my solicitor emailed me a copy of the defence this morning and it is fine. He is attaching a copy of my defence and sending both to the Court and to the other side's solicitor. He assures me both will receive them. Now I can relax about this aspect of my life. So I shall concentrate on getting well again and getting my life back. Thank you everyone.
  3. Thanks for good advice and support. What has happened is that last Wednesday 3 May I had an order from the court saying that I had not filed a defence and that I must provide one by next week. They also appear not to have heard from my consultant. I had had enough and cancelled my cancer treatment and went to see a solicitor yesterday, Friday. He is excellent and expensive but I can now relax and get on with my treatment. The fact that I was stopping treatment to attend to the legal matters was a danger signal to me. In the discussion, I realised that I had gradually conceded various points to the HA who had conceded nothing to me. My solicitor considers the HA conduct to be outrageous but that it not what the court is deciding. He will look after the case and I can concentrate on getting better. This morning after a night's sleep I feel exhausted but relieved. The HA might well be so desperate for funds that they need to sell the property. It would give them in excess of 2 million. They might have misled the HCA which body regulates HAs but complaining about that can wait. Essentially the CEO of the HA can use the HA funds for legal action which would have been avoided had she behaved properly. The situation arises because of her actions, not mine. Finally, and I don't want to say it, the solicitor did ask if I had contacted the Council and if I had considered sheltered accommodation. I am going to have a few days of peace and quiet before deciding what to do about it. Again thank you for good advice. I really appreciate it.
  4. Another update and I feel today the world has gone crazy. As the HA and I had not reached an agreement as to when I would move and how much they would pay me, I filed a defence at the court for the five minute hearing last Wednesday. I also arranged for my consultant to send a letter to the court saying that I was unable to attend. I am not sure she did. The HA emailed me to say that it would be a directions hearing which would have been nice to know. Directions arrive this morning and I have to file a defence. I don't trust the court administration and I see a solicitor on Friday to sort out what to do. The HA wanted me to move in mid May despite being under notice that I am ill and immunosuppressed I could deal with the legal side but not the legal administration. Treatment goes well and I was to have my last chemotherapy tomorrow but am postponing it so that I'll be in a fit state to see the solicitor on Friday. Afterwards I start radiotherapy and after that we see if it has worked. I remind myself that I am very fortunate to be near a first class hospital and am receiving excellent treatment. I have been living with cancer now for five months and with the threat of having to move home for a little longer. I would like my life back. Finally the newspaper article http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/dartmouth-park-cancer-sufferer-72-ordered-to-leave-home-of-24-years-because-he-is-delaying-sale-1-4902439 it is a bit old now but will be updated when I am a bit better.
  5. Thank you friends. After this I'm not sure when I shall be posting again as I want to focus on treatment. To answer questions and respond to advice. I have it in writing that they agreed to postpone the hearing date and more importantly their solicitor wrote to the Court who have writen to me and have now set a new date of 26 April. The HA offered compensation to take account of the increased expenses of living at the new flat. An accountant advised that this needed to be calculated as a reverse annuity i.e. what capital sum would give me a net income equivalent to the increase in living expenses and this also would need to be inflation linked. Also I would be looking for compensation for agreeing for them to break a term of my lease, the standard moving fee for HA tenants without any deductions, and damages for breaches of the terms of my current lease and a few other bits. I have agreed to move but only to a place which is suitable. No the solicitor is not acting for me and in view of the behaviour of the Housing Association it is as well. The ineffiency of the HA would give me very high legal costs. Thank you for suggestion of Macmillian. I was already in touch and they have been magnificent. I have almost completed my defence. and will remove the words "lying toads" before sending it. I shall need more advice on court procedure including how we exchange evidence before the case and how I summons witnesses etc, I have represented clients before many tribunals and provided financial evidence to defend repossession proceeding in the, very long ago, I am quite sure that it will not get to court but unless I take action to defend the case it will. Most importantly I need to be able to postpone matters until I am well enough to attend court. And thanks for the opportunity for a wee rant of which there will be mony to come. Thanks for the suggestion of sheltered housing. People have suggested this before and this is the first time I have not had a strong emotional reaction of fury which probably means that I am slowly coming to terms with reality which is not how I would like it to be. The Housing Association did suggest residential accommodation (and I do know the difference as my grandmother was in both) when I turned 65. The HA is not good at dealing with real people only figures. At the time I was travelling to Africa and trekking through jungles and up mountains and was very independent. At the moment I need more than sheltered accommodation but so much depends on the outcome of treatment and this might take up to six months. It would be sensible to leave things and decisions until then but the HA is not inclined to do so. I must move to another flat and perhaps move on again from there. If I am well enough I want to retain my independance and if not then I am thinking of moving abroad where I could enjoy a higher standard of living and care at a much lower price. I'm now 72and nearly 73. I'm glad you are happy with your accommodation and wish you well.
  6. Thank you the truth is I don't know and in my emotional state at the moment I think I'll not post the link.
  7. Update on everything. On 4 December I became ill with what turned out to be cancer for which I have had an operation to remove a growth and for which I expect to start chemotherapy for a minimun of nine weeks followed by radiotherapy for some more weeks. They do not know if it will work. In addition I collapsed several times and spent time in hospital which they thought the cancer might have spread to my brain. It seems it had not but they want to do another advanced scan to make sure. I also have a bowel disorder which has quietened down for the moment. My PTSD recurred and I felt and feel that I have had enough. I contacted the HA and asked them not to start proceeding while I was ill. They did not reply but started proceedings for which I received the papers on a Saturday before I was due to go into hospital for an operation on the Monday. I sent the papers to my solicitor and asked him to deal with it as I was too ill. He didn't for two weeks and then advised that I could produce a defence which "will be easy" and spend 5-8K in court and not necessarily win and it would be nearly a thousand to ask for the matter to be delayed until I was better and to do so I would need to file a defense. I got my papers back and went to see the HA and they agreed to postpone the Hearing and I agreed to move - where when and how much compensation was to be negotiated. Then I went to the press. Can I post the link? I've had enough and need all my energy to focus on getting well again.
  8. Update on 4 December I became ill which has turned out to be cancer and the doctors are not sure that the treatment will work. I've had an operation and start chemo later this week. The tenant is content with the new rent. I am inclined to leave matters. Thank you for your advice and guidance for which I am very grateful.
  9. Whatever you do don't resign. It is possible you might leave teaching with a disabilty pension which would be a much better bet. This needs to be negotiated while you are still employed.
  10. Generally the CAG information is correct and for that I'm grateful.
  11. Thank you Friends, now a week later life still seems different.
  12. Tests back I don't have cancer.
  13. No they can't nor have they been able to for a number of years since anti-dicrimination legistlation.
  14. No - mental health issues do not allow you to behave as you like.
×
×
  • Create New...