Jump to content


BankFodder BankFodder


Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About MacMcGann

  • Rank
    Basic Account Holder
  1. The single oven/grill is 13 amp. all sockets [up and downstairs] are on the same switch in new fuse box. The ancient hob has it's own red 'cooker' switch - I assume this is the same as hard wired with 30 breaker
  2. Yes, have seen this info before. Sadly, there is no law to regulate this. I've been down the council route, but as long as my landlord/estate agent is SEEN to be making a move to address the faults, they say there's nothing they can do
  3. A new consumer unit was installed and this caused the oven to cut the fuses after 3 minutes of use. If a record of the performed EICR is supposed to be on the site you linked - it isn't
  4. Hi, hoping someone can help me. I'm trying to get a copy of the EICR that was carried out on my rented property last month. I am aware that as a lowly tenant I don't have a right to be in the know about this stuff, but don't see why I can't have access to a copy. I've tried emailing 3 different departments of my estate agents, only the first [local branch] replied saying they don't have access to it. Is there some kind of phrase to get them to take me seriously? I'm rubbish at the technical aspects and they keep brushing aside concerns I have.
  5. The guy didn't even tell me any of that. I've been in touch with my energy provider, who passed me onto British Gas - they are more interested in me paying £43 to get them replaced than anything else, not are they in a rush to replace the seals. My next step is to find out if he notified the council as you have to when doing this sort of repair. Thanks for everyone's advice, it seems I am on track with everything
  6. Any electrician doing Part P work has to be registered of a competent persons scheme - or so the council told me. @King12345 has kindly listed the website so you can check them. Also, as a lone female tenant I don't think it's too much to ask that anyone presenting themselves at my door to rectify a previous numpties bodging be able to show some sort of proof of capability, after all, I'm not asking for inside leg measurements, just that thy can actually do the job.
  7. Thanks, I've sent notice, waiting again now. I have to exhaust the estate agents complaints process before the ombudsman, so holding off on that for now; I've complained to the council also.
  8. Sorry for the long post.... After a burst pipe (the condensate pipe from gas boiler froze during snow storms) in crawl space above my kitchen the landlord agreed to update the consumer unit in my property [the corrosive water had leaked over two plug sockets and nothing tripped off even though water was inside both]. The guy sent I suspected wasn't qualified [on a previous visit to check for safety he checked the plugs by poking around the sides - and making a hole in the plaster]. I asked if he was qualified before he started [on the previous visit to check damage from the leak he told me 'he shouldn't be doing this' but didn't expand when asked why] and he shrugged; as a tenant, I believed the Estate Agent would have checked and so let him continue. He has changed the fuse box, cut the meter fuse seals, not replaced older wires, not fitted the cover properly, put the switches in the wrong order, left the wires completely messy inside the unit and also labelled it incorrectly - plus, the oven now trips one of the RCD's when it's on for more than three minutes and a plug socket is no longer working - although this may be due to the junction box he put in the crawl space replacing connection taped with electrical tape, leaving a live wire improperly crimped and not connected - he'd stuffed them into the wall cavity. As he left I ask about the 'signing off' and was told 'I have nothing to worry about' several times, because I was worried! I asked again about the certification and he said that wasn't anything to do with tenants. He didn't say someone would be back to carry out any checks, or follow up, or even to sign off on the work. I've complained to the Estate Agents and the following day a guy turned up as I'd had problems with the oven. I asked for credentials, but he'd have to go and get them cos he hadn't bought them with him. I allowed him to look at the issues, but no work would be carried out until I had seen proof of his ability to sign off on the work. He's looked and spouted a lot of blurb obviously covering his firms ass. He looked, said he saw no issues with the work carried out, said the fan was the reason the oven wasn't working properly - it wasn't turned to oven, just grill - he didn't even blush. He checked to see if the wire left out of the crimp was live - it was! He left to consult his boss and turned up 2 hours later with his sons training certificate and a weird looking NICEIC card saying he just needed to connect the crimp and everything would be working for me, which I don't think is true, plus the ID looked pants to me and so I turned him away. I then received an email from Estate Agent - the house owner lives in China - saying the contractors had told them i had not allowed them access and would they be allowed in with a rep from the Estate Agent's local branch. I have replied saying they didn't satisfy me that they were qualified and that anybody coming should be able to sign off on the work done - but hey presto, 24 hours later and I've heard nothing... What can I do next to get my oven working and the electrics safe?
  9. Thanks a lot to all that replied. This is exactly what I'll do...wait and see what the EA response is.
  10. Haven't received Section 21, just an invoice with 3 options [1] sign for another 6 months and pay via bank/building society cheque [2] get re-reference (or a guarantor) at a cost of £370 [3] move out. None are within my means at this time. I've applied to local council and they have no interest as I have a roof over my head, I'm categorised as LOW requirement. As with a lot of other people I have to wait to be kicked out before I can get any help there, if any at all. Thanks to those that have replied, I don't want to stay longer than I signed up for, but I feel better knowing the law about it.
  11. I have no way of checking either way. And tbh I'm not all that interested in staying, BUT I have not got the means to rent elsewhere at this time, nor can I afford another 6 months rent to stay where I am. I have no way of checking either way. And tbh, I'm not all that interested in staying, BUT I have not got the means to rent elsewhere at this time, nor can I afford another 6 months rent to stay where I am. This sounds like the best idea...BUT... - will my deposit still be secured? - EA want to charge £120 for staying a further 6 months [or for leaving], will I still have to pay this even if I'm not signing a new AST?
  12. They are managing for a landlord who lives abroad, they say they have contacted the landlord and he won't accept monthly rent.
  13. They denied all knowledge of saying it as soon as they had the money.
  14. Hi, hoping someone can advise me please. I borrowed the money to pay for 6 months lease on a house through an estate agent who told me it would switch after the 6 month period to monthly payments; they have now reneged on this and have sent a bill for the next 6 months rent - which I do not have. I have nothing in writing to support monthly rental payments. I was working part time 6 months ago - not enough to pass a credit check; I don't have a guarantor and I do not have money for any agency fees, and so it seems a real possibility that myself and 13 yr old child will become homeless at the end of the tenancy. Checking around on gov and shelter websites, they seem to suggest staying in the house until I am served an eviction notice in order to get help from local council etc. Surely this can't be right? Can someone advise me as to whether I cancel the tenancy as I would at the end of the period if I had a place to go to; or should I ignore the landlord and stay put? Any advice welcome please.
  15. Hi, just a little quibble about the Form 4 I have received from my landlord. LL has filled in the form but has put that the first increase after 11th February 2003 was January 1st last year, but the rent has increased every year since i moved in to the property at the end of December 2004. I have to send a copy of the form to HB... is it important to have the correct dates? Hope someone can advise. I don't want to get in trouble with HB for submitting incorrect information to Council if it's important - they will be aware of previous (Jan 2016) rise as I was claiming HB at that time. Thanks for any help Mac
  • Create New...