Jump to content


Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About GeoffW

  • Rank
    Basic Account Holder
  1. As I often say "pity there isn't an ombudsman ombudsman!!!" I find it entirely pathetic especially when the ABI recently denied that there were more complaints being made due to insurers continuing to deal with claims reasonably!!
  2. Bazzas is correct They will also wrote to you under different names such as Red Debt Collection and Hamptons Legal, the latter designed to make you think that they have passed the case to solicitors when it's just the guy on the next desk
  3. Hi Yes I think that you should forward copies of your previous letters to the CEO and demand a response. It is not the first time that this has happened. Please let us know what happens by this thread GeoffW
  4. Hi Uncle Bulgaria is entirely correct. If you received a television with a current value of £1200 and that is considerably better than the one you had, then the insurers don't have to pay for one which is better than you had. If you bought a carpet for £500 six years ago and it cost £700 now becuase carpet prices have gone up they have to get you a £700 carpet as long as your sum insured is enough to replace your contents - it works both ways. As Uncle Bulgaria says you must make sure that they are offering you a realistic replacement - make sure that the specification of the one off
  5. Hi I deal with such matters on a regular basis and unfortunately do not share my fellow caggers' views concerning the FOS. They may very well tell you that they cannot do much without the insurers refusing to deal with your claim and confirming that their decision is a "final decision". Then you fill in a complaint form and send it to FOS who then take months to consider the complaint. In any event you need to formalise your complaint by writing to the Chief Executive Officer at the insurers Head Office in accordance, I guess, with the formal complaints procedure set down in your poli
  6. I suggest you get written confirmation from the place you were working that that was the case, and that they ran out of pelts amd then write to the parking peole with a copy of what you get and tell them you ate not paying. Keep copies obviously. Regarding the bailiff threat someone else will advise better but my understanding is that bailiffs are not entitled to enter private houses to take goods unless they are invited in. In any event I would think that they have to take you to court first which they will probably not do. They are just trying to frighten you Get everything recorde
  7. I have been dealing with claims for 44years and very rarely speak to insurers. I get more sense talking to a wall. However I understand that you need cover for 2/3 days. As the FOS have a backlog of almost a year they will be no use to you. Suggest you ring the insurers, tell them you want the cover to continue until 21/6 and then confirm that in writing
  8. First bit of advice. Do everything in writing so that there is written evidence of what is stated on both sides. Your father should write and ask them to specifically state exactly why they do not wish to pay the claim If as seems to be the case there is no specific exclusion relating to unattended property they can't use the wording you used in your post to refuse the claim They are probably as another contributor suggested referring to the clause concerning lack of reasonable care and as also mentioned that is a matter of opinion. Incidentally the Ombudsman has previously commented t
  9. Hi I have experience of these people. They will continue to write to you as Lowell, Red Debt Collectors and Hampton Legal, the last one toskd you think that they have passed the case to solicitors. Check the addresses. All PO Box numbers in Leeds unless they have PO boxes in different places!! Do everything in writing. Ask them for written proof of the contractual agreement allegedly entered into about the cancellation charge. They will probably not have that. The other response relating to the limitation period is valid. Good idea to eventually take legal advicebon that but my own t
  10. Hi again Just seen your last posting and that the house is in West Yorkshire. If it all goes wrong I know a loss adjuster who lives in Baildon and who works for policyholders as opposed to working for insurers who could help but hopefully you will be able to sort it out yourself.
  11. Hi Uncle Bulgaria is entirely correct. If there is an argument about what you declared when you took out the policy the insurer will have to supply a copy of the recording of the telephone conversation. You may have somewhere amongst your papers something called a Declaration of Fact or similar name which could well record that you mentioned the situation. However it is not unknown for historic apparenty stable damage to start up again as in this casse if the trees taking the moisture out of the soil have eventually caused the movement. My experience of subsidence claims is that
  12. Hi Mwynci The insurers can't apply average if there is no appropriate clause in the policy. I doubt of there is as they arentrying to repudiate liability and not apply average. They cannot succeed with this argument if they can't demonstrate that the policyholder has deliberately underinsured as per the decision in Economides v Commercial Union. I understand what you say about the ombudsman. There are two problems there - the backlog and in my opinion lack of knowledge and understanding on the part of some adjudicators. There has been an hardening of attitude and they don't even alwa
  13. Hi Kell A couple of things First of all you need to see the letter which they refer to and which you have never received so please ask them to let you have a copy asap and then let me know what they say in the letter. Secondly we need to find out how much cover you could have obtained for the premium which you have paid. The best way to achieve this is for a friend or relative who lives in the same area as you to get on to the same website you used and find out how much it would be for £40k worth of cover by pretending to apply for insurance. It is important that this person liv
  14. Hi The key to this problem is what a reasonable person would reasonably retain. A ridiculous example to illustrate - an insurer is well withion its rights to refuse to accept that a claim for a £2000 television bought last week if the policyholder cannot prove the purchase but it would be ridiculous to refuse to deal with a claim for a 50p pair of socks bought 18 months ago should not be paid if the policyholder had not kept the receipt. You should be OK with the credit card receipt but if not post that fact on the forum and I will suggest a wording for a letter to the insurers
  15. Hi Insurers usually accept that they will pay a reasonable amount to policyholders who go to stay with friends/relatives in such circumstances. If they do not you should point out what the alternatives would have been - namely paying for you to stay in a hotel or paying for you to rent a flat/house which would probably been for a minimum 6 months lettiing period - both a great deal more expensive than what you have referred to Good luck
  • Create New...