I've been dealing with this for a while now, but I'm getting to the end of my tether. . . . . it's getting more and more stressful and I just want it to stop.
* I lived in a flat with a few other people.
* I transferred all the bills into my name since I owed one of them some money (which was more or less what was owed to nPower so I said I'd pay the bills)
* We moved out later on and I phoned up to end the contract (Gas & Elec), set up a payment plan for each account
* Living in new home and everything is fine, paying the monthly amounts without a problem
* One month I get a bill stating I owe £307 on the electric account, pay within 10 days or bailiffs will come round etc
So here's what's happened, I've been paying off the amounts agreed when we set up a payment plan. The gas account was paid off. What's happened is that when closing the accounts, they've not closed the electric account . . . . so while new residents have been there, it's been going onto my bill . . . . but the first I hear of it is when I get a threatening letter!
I owe them exactly £120 (what's not been paid on the payment plan) and I have no problem paying what I owe, but will not pay a penny more.
What would you recommend? This has been going on since mid 2008 and I'm getting sick of having to deal with them.