Jump to content


BankFodder BankFodder

HP Mum

Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


HP Mum last won the day on December 5 2016

HP Mum had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

73 Excellent

About HP Mum

  • Rank
    Classic Account Holder

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I passed on the article and link to friend. Between us we will now try get the required info to the correct location so that they (whoever in the Govt) can sort out what he is owed. I will keep you updated. This thread may help others in similar situations. Ethel Street - very helpful research. Thank you. Seems like you came up trumps!
  2. It was indeed a very brief meeting. As you mention - background details followed by a brief look and a prod He was independent - for both sides
  3. Just had a read of the link article. The wife was born in '38. The article states that "the opportunity for men to claim on the wife's NI contributions under 'old' basic state pension system was only introduced at start of last decade [in 00s] ... But only covers women born between certain dates". After 5 April 1950 is the eligible date. So in friend's case his wife was born too early for him to claim - if she was still alive? The article continues: "...in the unfortunate event that you were to become a widower, you would be able to inherit part of any earnings-related state pension that your wife was receiving" Do I understand this correctly: because he was widowed in 07 (9 years) after his wife started claiming her state pension (in 98) that he can 'inherit' it? He wouldn't have been able to make a claim if she was still alive? But can now she has passed? The article says: "If married woman receiving SERPS pension dies before her husband, he can inherit 50-100%" I checked out the Gov link. It says: Wife was automatically eligible for an additional state pension by her age (born before 1953) - unless she opted out - and due to reaching pension age before April 2016. She would have got the 'Additional State Pension' if she contributed to the State Earnings-Related Pension Scheme if employed from 1978-2002. She was. The link re 'inheriting pension' shows: woman born before 5 October 1942 - husband could inherit 100% This has been very helpful info.. Thanks for the article link
  4. Thanks Ethel. Yes he does. Maybe age has got the better of him. That's why I am trying to help. Thanks for the article. Will read now.
  5. He has paperwork in the UK but his place is such a mess I don't know where to start looking. He's away now. And i think a bit confused. The company he ran was apparently about 40y ago and I haven't found any paperwork relating to it. Not sure if proper company or sole trader of if he ever made profit/ paid tax? I have asked, but so far have not got any answers that will help me (in the Uk) help him. From what I gather now, his wife earned an income and had started claiming pension - and it seems easier to claim as widowed spouse rather than via his own records - which I think potentially dont exist.
  6. When I spoke to him he said he doubted if he ever had a NI# but his wife did as she was the earner. If he never had a NI# and thus no tax reference - can he use the link to find out wife's and be able to claim via her Ni ?
  7. HB. He doesn't have his NI or tax details. Nor those of wife
  8. Thanks Ethel - Friend doesn't have NI or tax reference details though for himself or late wife. Can he use her dob and death and marriage details to obtain them?
  9. friend has provided me with marriage certificate, spouse dob and date of death. He states she had started claiming in 98. She passed in 07. She was the income earner in the relationship. What does friend need to do now? Or how can I help?
  10. He does have tons and tons of paperwork In a cupboard under the stairs of his flat. I haven't dared to investigate yet!!
  11. Friend has other passport; not uk But he has lived in UK most his life; kids raised here; owns property here. He just always spent the winter away. He has in recent years been away rather than in uk. Think that UK would be considered official place of residence. He never worked abroad, where he is now. He also wants the pension funds to remain in the uk bank - to cover expenses here. Not sure if wife's records are accessible. How do I locate them? Via dob, address, birth/death certificates?
  12. Managed to have a brief chat with friend. Income, NIC and tax return info seems very vague. But he wasn't divorced as i had wrongly thought. He was just widowed. Wife also did things by the book, was the majority income earner, and was claiming her pension when she died (was older). If friend didn't make enough contributions can he now attach himself to her pension? She passed in 07; friend would have been able to claim from '13.
  13. ok HB. The company (friend's own) would have paid friend a salary and thus NI contributions, maybe w/o friend even realising?
  14. if friend had a company that was registered for vat - would that have NI# records attached?
  • Create New...