Jump to content


Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

1 Follower

About Scaredsheep

  • Rank
    Basic Account Holder
  1. I'm not sure that this has ever been settled. The law is pretty clear if a person under 16 is convicted of an offence at court and the court orders a fine, compensation or costs , that sum must be paid by the parent or guardian of the child or young person instead of by the child or young person himself. Where the youth is 16 or 17, the court may order the parent or guardian to pay, and won't make the order if the parent or guardian cannot be found; or if it would be unreasonable to make the parent pay in all the circumstances. The court would have to give the parent the opportunity to exp
  2. David, I think that the answer lies in whether an offence is recordable or non recordable and it is only recordable offences that are recorded on the PNC. There are hundreds of non recordable offences - like breach of byelaws - which don't make it on to the PNC as if the police aren't involved and your fingerprints aren't taken there is no way to confirm the identity of the person committing the offence. ( A mere matching of details is insufficient.) This sort of makes sense, given that many byelaws are strict liability with no dishonesty or bad intention needed. You may want to
  3. Have a look at some of the past posts on here. The company will not ask you to pay a sum of money - the offer has to come from you. If you've sent the letter already, without offering to pay the fare and administrative costs, then just wait til you hear from them. If they issue a summons, it will have the phone number of the prosecution manager on. You could then phone up and repeat your apology and mitigation and offer to pay the fare and costs. The summons will probably have a court date 4 weeks ahead, but it will tell you the court date. Don't cross that bridge unless you actuall
  4. Hi Matthew, Past posts on this site suggest that its worth writing back to explain the reasons/circumstances for the offence, expressing your genuine remorse, good character and the impact of a prosecution on you, and asking if the matter can be resolved without a court case by your paying the fare due and an amount towards the administrative costs they have incurred as a result of this incident. If you have never been in trouble before, the odds would seem to be in favour of avoiding a prosecution. In answer to your specifics: How soon will it be before I hear from them? - Depends on
  5. Could I suggest that you send a letter or e-mail confirming your telephone conversation and the action that you understand that SER is going to take as a result. It may be a bit late now, but perhaps you should go back to the station and take a picture of the offending drain cover, and see if it is in the same state now as it was when you slipped on it. Ideally that should have been at the time of your fall ( and I understand why taking pictures would have been the last thing on your mind) but there may still be some evidential value. As Sailor Sam says, please keep us posted - and I hope
  6. Just for clarity, which section of which Act/byelaw is it alleged that you have breached?
  7. I am so glad that you got the "right" result, but am very angry on your behalf that you have been put to so much trouble and concern. I had a similar experience , although mercifully they saw sense and withdrew the summons on the first court date. It does worry me that many people with less confidence and determination would have rolled over and pleaded guilty when they had not actually committed an offence. I am not sure whether staff get any training on either the law or customer service, but it is wholly wrong for what I hope is the ignorant minority to behave in such a bully boy mann
  8. Nacro is very helpful in providing (free) advice on whether or not you need to disclose convictions, as the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 allows for convictions and cautions to be spent for certain purposes after a certain period of time. Standard and enhanced disclosure is only required for certain purposes e.g if you wish to work/volunteer with children, the elderly or otherwise vulnerable people. There is a link to Nacro on the link I have posted below to the criminal records bureau. The crb link tells you how to find out what information is held about you ( and any offences you
  9. I think that it depends on whether the train from London actually stops at the station at which you board. The extract below from the National Rail Conditions of Carriage allows you to start a journey at any intermediate station - the usual rule is that the train must actually stop there, but check with the customer enquiries section of the relevant rail company. Why not e-mail them with your query and if they say ( in writing) that you can , then you should not be fined. A word from one who has suffered at the hands of ticket inspectors who don't know the rules - take a copy of the Conditions
  10. Please can anybody help my brother to find out if he can get any help. He's a self employed painter and decorator, but has not had much work over the last 2 years and is having financial problems. He's the only bread winner - his wife is looking after their 2 children ( both at school.) He is worried about paying his mortgage. I read something about Housing Benefit paying mortgage interest but you have to be on JSA or IS or something. Is there any way of finding out whether there is help he can get? Last year he said there were no benefits for the self employed, but I'm really worried they wil
  11. Absolutely. But type in via Moorgate on a journey from Stevenage to Liverpool on trainline or national rail enquiries and it works out a journey and price for you. Journey via Moorgate comes up and the 1st Anytime Return via London (Moorgate) is £419.00, as mc661 said. It just depends which time you want to travel and on your connections as to which rail/underground station its best to change at. Also Finsbury Park with its spiral stair case and no escalator is a bit of a nightmare if you've got luggage and a buggy or are a bit unsteady on your feet. As I said, I thought the ticket had
  12. Unfortunately not, it was taken from me by the ticket person, but it would have been "eaten" by the ticket barrier at Stevenage if it hadn't been taken from me. It was clearly marked "First Anytime Return" and at the bottom of the ticket it said "route" "any permitted" . Some tickets say "not via London" but mine was "any permitted." I guess this is why it let me through the ticket barrier at Moorgate. These tickets are particularly good if you are not sure of precise travel times/dates and avoid having to queue at Euston for another ticket etc. especially if incoming trains are delayed. They
  13. The last line is right. Its a First Anytime Return valid any permitted route, break and resume journey at any station. As you probably know any ticket via London is usually more expensive, but from my point of view its worth it as the journeys are usually quicker and involve less change of train. Train Liverpool to Euston ( Virgin) tube from Euston to Kings Cross, Highbury Islington, Finsbury Park or Moorgate ( to name a few) and from that tube station to Stevenage on FCC. Moorgate or Kings Cross are the best for Stevenage as the train is direct and you don't need to change at FP etc.
  14. Result! Fortunately I did not take the advice offered here and made my own enquiries. I got a copy of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage , which confirmed that I was entitled to break and resume my journey at any station. This is what I had thought and was belittled for 10 minutes on the train by 2 very rude ticket inspectors for not knowing the rules. I then e-mailed the customer relations section of the relevant train company to ask whether I was entitled to do as I did, and they confirmed that I was. I then sent the e-mail to the Prosecutions Dept. who have withdrawn the prosecut
  15. You might find it helpful to contact nacro (Nacro - changing lives, reducing crime), following the link to spent convictions etc. as they are experts in this field. If a conviction is recorded ( and it may not be if the offence is categorised as "non recordable") they can advise you how long it stays on your record and how long you need to declare it as a conviction. The best of luck.
  • Create New...