Jump to content

simon says

Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by simon says

  1. Hi Hadituptohere, only two things that spring to mind from this is that the adjusters have not considered the contents section and then PP cover on your policy. Some adjusting firms will not look to offer cover for both sections and it maybe worth a phone call to the Insurers to confirm if there is a policy limit/condition to the pp cover of items in the shed/garage + are they happy to accept the fishing equipment as PP items.. refer to defination of a PP item (something to be worn or carried outside the grounds of the home). Heavily but politely point out that you have paid for the additional cover and this is not just on a standard cover policy..

    On terms of accepting the liability figure of £2000, then this will be evidenced in a DPA request or try requesting on the phone 'at what time it was accpeted and by whom'. did the cheque come with noting 'full and final settlement or as interim payement ??


  2. Hmmmm they dont make it easy for you, do they... even if the adjuster has since left the company i think your strongest route is that the adjusters (being the prefered company of the Insurers) have engaged liability on a deligated authority? this is what you are looking for on the dpa release... who were they acting for and who said 'yes' you are covered... does that make sense?


  3. Hi..

    If you mean issuing both companies a section 7.1 dpa then for £20 it could be worth it.


    Also thinking about the second letters to issue.. google who are the CEO's of the companies are and write to them directly, requesting that the complaint/review is done by the CEO. Dont use previous names... go to the top dogs


    certainly sounds like you have grounds to question their initial handling




  4. Hi. sounds like the adjuster has made a bit of a boo boo on the day and not advised you of the policy limit.. Did they ask to see a copy of the policy booklet as far as i know i dont imagine that they had a copy to hand.


    If i was you and if you are content on following this through i would


    A: issue a 'section 7.1 data protection act' request for information (google it) as you should request all electronic data like the site pack details completed by the adjuster on that day,all reports sent to the Insurers ie. prelimary report upto the final report, computer history notes supplied by the claims handlers in theirs offices and all electronic telephone calls relating to the claim... for the cost of £10 its worth it..especially against solictors costs.


    From this you will need to see if there are areas where the adjuster has confirmed full cover and not noted policy exclusions and limits. It will also show that a site letter/action plan was not left on site to advise progression of the claim or confirm engagement of liability.


    B: I would write a separate letter as the dpa release has a time limit..28 days?.. but in the second letter I would request that they review the claim and the report from the visiting adjuster who by the sounds of it engaged full liability. I would then give them a 'reasonable' time length to reply.. ie 14 days from the date of the letter including weekends


    also add the concern of policy i.e that whilst paying for the standard contents cover and met with the policy limit under that section that it should be correct to also review the PP cover for which you have paid an addtional premium and appears to have no policy limit except for the single article limit and a total valuables. Request written evidence if they disagree.


    D: once you have received the dpa release check that the data is correct to what was said on site and what was done off site.


    E: keep in contact with the Insurer, otherwise they will close your file and all paperwork will be sent to storage causing delay when it is reviewed. So again write to them... if you want to follow a similar process as above with the section 7.1 dpa realease but also a second letter requesting reply with 14 days again to request... did the adjusters complete the process under delegated authority if so why was liability fully engaged on site and then withdrwawn without personal consultation from the loss adjuster No harm in asking - Did the adjuster make an mistake). REQUEST that they also review the adjusters notes.


    F: consider how far you are willing to go with this claim, although I can understand the frustration you may find the time comes when you must drop it and move on with your life... you certainly shouldnt make this an issue where it is 24/7 on your mind but if you are confident that there are areas to be raised then I certainly wouldnt leave them without mentioning to them the magical word of 'watchDog'.


    Hope that helps...let me know if you get stuck or you get a good outcome


  5. Hi Nina12... sounds like a very stressful time, the above comments from wulfyn and other are very correct. when it comes to AA ( alternative accomodation) there is a limit.

    But if you parents where to kick you out the you would effectively be homeless as your home sounds uninhabitable... get the builders,adjusters, insurers to confirm that the property IS uninhabitable and then immediately request Like4Like accomodation.. ie it doesnt have to be a hotel/motel if the works are being held up request a short term lease on a similar property within the area..The adjuster and the Insurers have the resources and remember you are intitled to it.

    As for the compensation - dont hear many insurers giving money away for nothing, you must remember that they are a business..but certainly wulfyn has given you some top advise about noting every expense that can been reclaimed.

    Stay positive...hopefully things will be on the move.. :)

  6. Hi again, back from work and thinking cap on.


    As I stated before that Esure has passed the claim to the adjusting company on a deligated or retained authority.


    Deligated being that the adjusters carry the claim through without return to the Insurer and retained being that they are only the to advise and report back to the Insurer.


    With Esure it is complusary for the Contents VAR to be completed and signed by the policy holder by/on the day of the adjusters visit so that the adjuster can complete a full work return and make the Insurers aware of any possible underwriting issues. ie low contents sum insured


    It is also the adjusters policy to leave a site letter/action plan with the policy holder to advise how the claim will proceed. Either a typed on mobile equipment or handwritten. It is the adjusters responsibility on the day to engage/confirm cover and how it covered under the insured perils.


    If the adjuster left you any advises on how the claim would proceed. ie full replacement fishing equipment and not advising the policy limits, then that particular adjuster has still engaged liability and in a professional stance has agreed on Cunninghams (on a their deligated basis)that will issue the full replacement fishing equipment


    Now. If the adjuster did not complete an Esure contents VAR form on site then they have not followed the Insurers request.


    If the Adjuster did not carry out a note of doors, windows and locks then they have failed to complete thier own full report...worth checking


    Ok, right next one...you will need to get your policy booklet out for this and it may make sense to some and something that I have found works in the past.

    You have standard contents - yes?

    You have PP cover - yes, ok so check the wording under the PP cover and without seeing your policy wording I am guessing that it will also have definition of theft.

    Does it have a limit on an out building and if does it refer you to your 'standard' home cover.

    I am hoping that if it says under the PP theft from an outbuilding it may have the £2000 limit. If it does refer you to the standard section then as you have standard cover and PP cover then you limit is actually £4000.00 and not just £2000.

    If, under the PP section there is no mention of outbuildings or a policy limit then I would pursue the claim with £2000 under the standard cover and then the rest under the PP section.


    PP cover - look at the companies defination as it will be something like : something that is worn or designed to be carried on the body.

    PP cover - I like to describe it as the martini section as the item/s (within the single article limit) are pretty much covered anyplace,anytime, anywhere.


    So... where do you go from here, right well if the adjusters are appointed on a deligated basis to deal with your claim and you are currently in complaints with the Insurer... then you maybe barking up the wrong tree... deal with the adjusters.


    Right, getting close to what you can do about it, bit before i waffle on.. tell me if any of the above is correct..


    Talk soon


  7. Hi. sounds like a frustrating claim... Ive got my thinking cap on but could you tell me if the Cunningham Lindsey adjuster or Esure requested you carryout a contents Value Added Risk for during the policy or prior to the Adjusters visit.


    Do you also have PP cover on your policy? and is the fishing equipment normally stored in the shed/garage or was it there for any particular reason that night.


    This my first day on the site so hopefully ill log in soon to see if we can get this sorted for you..


    Many thanks

  8. HI.


    Its my first day on the site and already late for work but stumbled across your issue so for a quick reply i hope this will help.


    Standard policy there would be no cover as your insurers would simple decline the claim stating that the ring had been not lost but mis-placed and there is no cover for mis-placing something.


    If you had PP then yes the would be cover as theis section covers loss within and outside the boundarys of your home.


    having worked for Insurers and Loss adjusters I believe I would fight the corner that a specified item is also covered like the pp. its normally decribed as martini of insurance hence the covered anytime, anyplace, any where... read your policy booklet on the specified items as this may inform you better... I belive I am correct in this paragraph



  • Create New...