TalkTalk - A Thorn in my side

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5249 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I had been having on going problems with Talk Talk regarding their service, or need I say 'lack of'.

I have not so long ago changed providers of my landline. After being constantly messed around by Talk Talk with technical issues that never seemed to be handled sufficiently or dealt with efficiently, I decided to move to Sky Talk and take up their full phone/TV/Internet package. I placed the order back in August and they told me they would let Talk Talk no about taking over the line. At the very start of September I got a letter from Talk Talk informing me they had recieved a request to take over my line and if this was not correct I should contact them, otherwise I didn't have to worry. Given that I was fully aware about the switch, I left it as recommended. Sky also confirmed my line would be Active at the end of September.

Then at the very start of October I recieved my Talk Talk bill. I was shocked to find that they were trying to charge me for three months, including August, September AND October. As you can appreciate, I was furious as the phoneline wouldn't be with Talk Talk from the end of September so why should I pay for October? Also given that the acknowledgement letter they sent me regarding the switch of provider was dated 1st September 2009!!! I contacted Talk Talk to dispute this, informing them that they had been given more than a months notice and I simply would not be paying the October bill. I demanded that this mistake be rectified by Talk Talk and for them to notify me of how much is owed for the final three months before I pay a penny.

The next thing I knew, it had been passed on to Roxburgh debt collections who were as much use as tooth ache. Just your everyday collection agency full of half-wits who only want to argue the toss with you, rather than work out some mutual understanding or agreement. It was even more shocking that not only did I have to pay for the full three months but they were also going to add their £20+ admin charge. Despite my explanations to the advisor at Roxburgh that this account was still in dispute, he wouldn't have any of it and dismissed my query. That same week, a letter came in the post, it was from TalkTalk and was a bill re-crediting me with my outstanding amount owed for October. Therefore, in the end as originally disputed; I was originally billed incorrectly.

I have recently paid the correct amount owed minus the admin charge to Roxburgh but have still received calls from them. In the phonecall with them yesterday the advisor listened to my explanation and told me that there was nothing they could do and they would continue to pursue this case. I then even phone Talk Talk out of goodwill, in a hope to resolve this problem. The Talk Talk argued that the account was passed to collections as the August bill was overdue and when I told him that I didn't pay that as I was querying the final bill as I wanted to make one lump sum payment to clear it all, he also dismissed my argument. He also told me that I should have paid the money directly to them rather than Roxburgh and by not doing so I was liable for the charges?!

I told him that I was considering legal action but he proceeded to tell me that this dispute is against Roxburgh and not Talk Talk???

Why is it so much effort to get a decent level of service out of them? I'm continually getting frustrated by companies who don't take any ownership of their own actions.

Can anybody advise me what to do next?

Certainly, never EVER pay a DCA. It is an admission of their involvement and seriously disadvantages you in negotiations. Why pay Roxy when TT supplied the service? Just because they asked you?

Despite your reasons for paying - you will be seen as agreeing to the demands and making (a) payment. In the absence of a paper trail that can be independently reviewed, all your negotiations are by telephone - STOP this.

Write a short letter of explanation to TT outline BRIEFLY what your complaint is and what you require to resolve the situation. You then have point of reference to move things forward from.

I had the same problem last year. Bill was wrong, they put me on a new charge that i never asked for. Agreed owed them £30.00 not £130.00. Spent an hour on the phone to them reading them the riot act, said I wouldnt even pay the£30.00 I did owe due to my charges. They agreed to write it all off. As for the DCA told them if they ever contacted me agin I would spend my Lifes work destroying them. Never heard from them again. My advice put an hours work in and be firm.

Buzby - I went against my better judgement when calling Roxburgh and TalkTalk, I was hoping to resolve the matter quickly in one phone call, although I was also aware that I was being slightly Naive. I paid the DCA as I had no idea that this was seen as 'agreeing to their demands'. But my argument is ; how are consumers to know this? Surely there has to be some regulation that deems this as unfair handling by the originator to pass on this debt to a company who just want to use you as a way of extra funding. The DCA always tell you to pay them but how are are people to know otherwise?

Sammy - I'm quite impressed that your method of handling worked. I was very firm with them and threatened them with court action if they continued to harass me without resolving the matter with TT first, and I did vice versa with TT. Sadly my effort was a waste.

I cannot believe that despite the fact TalkTalk are Roxburghs clients, they can't discuss disputes or liaise with one another. Its almost as if it is a physical impossibility for them to contact each other.