Premium rate call on my landline bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On my recent landline bill a 4 minute premium rate call has appeared, costing £7.

There is no way that I or my partner made the call either accidentally or on purpose. We got caught out by a dialer when on dialup internet a few years ago so we're quite sensitive about Tele-cons.

Googling the number we know it is for "adult services" and also that one other person has posted an incidence of this number appearing twice on their bill.

I'm going to complain to Onetel/TalkTalk who bill for my landline, and to PhonePayPlus (stupid name), but wandered if anyone else had experience of this, or of how it can happen.

Free premium rate call barring is available on all UK landlines,just get them barred.

Bar/ block premium rate

Premium rate call barring allows you the option to bar any premium rate calls being made from your phone. If you request premium rate call barring then attempt to dial an 090 or 091 number from your phone, you will not be connected and you will hear an engaged tone. You can request premium rate call barring by contacting your phone company.

PhonepayPlus : Consumers : Premium Rate Service Terms explained

You must be the bill payer/account holder to request the free premium rate call barring.

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

There has been many reported incidents on forums and in the press of engineers at the exchange using users lines to call chat lines etc, it's worth doing a google.

Have you a time and date of the call? Maybe you have definate proof that you were not at home to use the phone, sadly these calls are made in the late evening and the early hours when this is not possible.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to this, I put a message on a website called whocallsme in response to a message that someone had already posted.

After this, a number of other messages appeared at least two of which were from Exeter (where I live).

I had immediate success from Onetel/TalkTalk - straight away they offered a refund.

After they offered a refund, I asked for premium rate barring, and it turned out I already had premium rate barring set up.

For the record, the number is 09829323380 and the full saga can be read if you google the number.