Trying Getting Default removed from Vodafone **COMPLAINT RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I e mailed Vodafone about three weeks ago asking them to remove a default they had put on my account about four years ago. They only got back to me today after I chased them up again, and they have asked me to dial an 0870 number, two chances, I want everything in writing.

Basics of the story is:

They would charge me £3-00 for not paying by DD, even though every time I got my bill, I went on the net, bit of Internet Banking, bill was paid there and then minus the £3-00.

Ended up getting a default and threatening letters from a DCA for the almighty sum of £39-00 sterling, within around three weeks of the brown stuff hitting the fan. During this time I was arranging a re-mortgage, and this was how I found out about the default.

I was lucky as my sister arranged my mortgage and found a way around the default.

I have now asked them to remove the default as, in my opinion, they were too quick off the mark to hand it over to a DCA and the account, now settled fully and within around five weeks, and was in dispute.

I'll let you know how it goes, but I have a feeling I may be in for a bumby ride as it was a few years ago.

Archway

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is in situations like these that consumers really get shafted. Basically, an automated system looks for the requested amount, and it it doesn't get it - it becomes an underpayment and the services cancelled and debt agencies employed - along with markers on your credit fil.

A human looking at it would spot the reason (additional fees disputed etc) and this was how I became an ex-customer of Sky after 8 years paying my way without a problem. I failed to see why I should pay a £4 'invoice charge' for a statement (that wasn't an Invoice) and as I knew the wrinkle to ensure my remittance was recieved before they called for the funds, I always avoded the fee being applied - until theyt changed my billing date without warning and the first £4 was applied. This escalated to £20 over 5 months and the account was closed.

Like you I paid by e-banking, the intelligent way for people who ave the capability to control their own finances, but Sky didn;t see it that way. In the end I had to take them to court, write to three DCA's and waste time sorting out their mess. This was no one-off, and it has the potential to affect every member of CAG, not just once but many times.

And it stinks!

Hi Buzby,

Thanks for that. I actually spoke to these people as well and asked them to justify a charge like this, he couldn't.

Gave it some long spiel about the banking system and how it cost them more to process a payment made via the internet.

I asked him why when the money was going straight into their account. He still couldn't provide, what I would consider to be an even close to adequate answer.

As a result, I got my first ever default for £39-00....

I've e mailed them back informing them that as I do shift work, I can't call them on their premium rate number and that everything will have to be done by e mail.

Archway

Yes. This covers a CCA default. Mobiles use a service contract, and the ICO demanded that firms do not erroneously place defualt markers on customers unless it beomes clear to them that the amount outstanding will remain unpaid. Even then, if you paid it the default would still show - but marked as 'Settled/Satisfied' and this is allowed.

Only the original company can claim the default, NOT a DCA or third-party who purchased the debt. It seems 2-4years of non activity in resolving the issue is becoming the norm, and by year 5 the debt only has 12 months before it becomes unrecoverable in law.

These are being used as an alternative to court action, as they only have to prove that the default existed, and thaqt the data subject agreed to the information being disclosed.

Thanksagain Buzby, jings I thought it was just a matter of contacting them and getting it removed.

If my memory serves me correctly, I paid it within 2-3 months, possibly less. By that time I already had a new provider sorted. And I do remember thinking that Vodafone were very quick off the mark at getting a DCA involved.

And it was Vodafone who issued the default, not the scummy bags.

Archway

Just had a quick check.

This is what the actual report says:

Company name:VODAFONEAccount type:Communications

Started:25/03/1995

Default Balance:£39

Current Balance:Satisfied

Defaulted On:26/07/2004

File Updated for the Period to:18/10/2004

Status history:

[] brackets indicate most recent months status [ hist_8.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went from a near ten years loyal customer to default in the space of 11 weeks.

I'd still like the default removed as I'm trying to clean up my credit report. Any advice will be very gratefully received :)

Edited by Archway
tidy up

Archway

It is actually getting worse, where the equivlent of a red reminder is sent 14 days after the billing date, and additional charges applied, 21-28 days outgoing calls blocked, then 7 days later inbound calls stop too, and DCAs instructed. Depending on the network, it is just anotehr 4 weeks to contract cancellation, with a final bill, then the last 4 weeks before the debit is sold on. These days, there's no sentiment.

It is actually getting worse, where the equivlent of a red reminder is sent 14 days after the billing date, and additional charges applied, 21-28 days outgoing calls blocked, then 7 days later inbound calls stop too, and DCAs instructed. Depending on the network, it is just anotehr 4 weeks to contract cancellation, with a final bill, then the last 4 weeks before the debit is sold on. These days, there's no sentiment.

Funnily enough, I remember talking to the "customer service advisor" and I said that to him. We had a conversation along the lines of " I can remember before Vodafone bought Mannesman, you could call up and if there were issues, it was usually sorted out very quickly."

He agreed, but couldn't possibly comment any further on the subject :)

Archway

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just got an e mail from Vodafone. They can find no record of me being a customer.

Does this mean an automatic removal of the default?

They have every bit of info they need except the account number, which I no longer have, but they do have the old mobile number, which I had for the whole of the contract.....

Archway

If you are positive that it was Vodafone that placed the marker on your file, scan it if you can (or copy in all the details of it) to your reply email.

Say that as that makes BOTH of you unable to establish why the default was placed on your file, you are now calling on them to REMOVE it within 28 days.

If they don't agree, then you will have no option but to seek remival directly from the CRA. (And if they refuse, the ICO is next).

Hi Buzby,

100% certain it was vodafone.

This is the part concerned from Experian:

Company name:VODAFONEAccount type:Communications

Started:25/03/1995

Default Balance:£39

Current Balance:Satisfied

Defaulted On:26/07/2004

File Updated for the Period to:18/10/2004

Status history:

[] brackets indicate most recent months status

But I will e mail them back right now with what you have suggested.

Once again, thank you for your help :)

Archway

E mail duly sent :)

One quick question though, this default, and the others I have are coming off my file all around the same time next year. Is it worthwhile persuing this? Would one more default make that much difference when I have another two on there???

Edited by Archway
Had a senior moment :)

Archway

I was about to say, they can start coming off after THIS June, as I've discovered it doesn't always wait for the actual 6th year anniversary, but can come off after July 2009 or in January 2010, (which is the 6th 'year' it has sat on your file).

I was about to say, they can start coming off after THIS June, as I've discovered it doesn't always wait for the actual 6th year anniversary, but can come off after July 2009 or in January 2010, (which is the 6th 'year' it has sat on your file).

Hi Buzby,

Even though it was very late on in the year, the last quarter in fact, that they were put on my file?

And do they come off automatically or do I have to chase them up?

You see, I'll be looking to come off my sub-prime mortgage as soon as possible, so obviously, they sooner the come off, the better for me...

Or is it??? I'm all confused :confused:

Archway

You donlt have to do anything, it is the CRA who take care of this - incidentally nothing 'comes off', what happens is next time there is a query on your file, only the data that is not time barred is shown to the enquirer. So ehilst it has effectively 'disappeared', if the rules changed to allow 10 years of data, it would re-appear again!

Have you raised a query through Experian or Equifax? They will contact Vodaofne and will be able to quote the account number?

Will try that route Fred if I don't get an answer from them :-)

Archway

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Quick update on this.

Below are the e mails and the responses I have received from vodafone so far.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I fear I may be about to start collecting defaults again, because of circumstances outwith my immediate control, so any advice would be gratefully received and acted upon.

Archway

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one was sent on the 22nd June 2009

Dear Vodafone,

The e mail below was sent to you almost two weeks ago, I'd be grateful if you

could give this some urgency and let me know the response.

Best Regards,

Me

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:15:04 +0100

Hi,

Further to my earlier mail, I have since sought some legal advice.

As Vodafone can't establish why the default was put on my file, I am calling

on you to remove it within 28 days.

If you do not do so, I will be contacting the Credit Reference agencies

involved.

Regards,

Me

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was received on the 7th June 2009

Hello Mr. Me,

Firstly let me apologise for the delay in getting back to you. I understand

from your email that you are concern about the credit rating. Let me assist you

with this.

Mr. Me, I am sorry to let you know that I am unable ot to trace the

account with the address you have provided. if you can get back to me with the

mobile number or the account number what I can do for you is send the details to

the Quality Assurance team so that they can contact you .

I trust the above information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Archway

You need to give them at LEAST a month (10th July), and it would have been helpful to have rent this by Recorded Delivery (as proof). If you don;t get a reply by 10/07, this time to a quick letter, stating the issue, that as neither you nor they can trace the account and details you now require the default to be removed within 28 days. Failure to do so will result in a formal complaint to the ICO about them being unable to document and support your credit file blight.

Thanks Buzby, will do that.

Sorry, I thought E mail would have been suffice as it is date stamped when sending, but I suppose these could go anywhere within Vodafone.

And judging the grammar in some of the mails I've received, even though the names are english, I suspect the person's first language isn't.

Archway

:) Having seen how many Brits listing their items for sale on eBay have no grasp of English, I think it's the other way around. If you get one in perfect grammar, it'll be from Hyderabad..!