style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Our daughter received this morning a letter from our Local Council stating that she has to pay £60 a month for her 2-bed Council Flat.

There is only her and her 2 boys (one is under a year old and the other is 2), and she is unemployed.

She phoned the Council today and they said that she HAS to pay it because all Council Tax is ending.

I assume this has nothing to do with the Bedroom Tax, but if Council Tax was ending surely it would be on the news or similar.

I know this new all-encompassing benefit payment thing is starting soon, does it have something to do with this?

The Council, as ever, are not being very helpful in clearing this up.

Any ideas Caggers?

:)

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

I have moved your thread to the correct location.

Thanks, sorry about that, much appreciated.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Our daughter received this morning a letter from our Local Council stating that she has to pay £60 a month for her 2-bed Council Flat.

There is only her and her 2 boys (one is under a year old and the other is 2), and she is unemployed.

She phoned the Council today and they said that she HAS to pay it because all Council Tax is ending.

I assume this has nothing to do with the Bedroom Tax, but if Council Tax was ending surely it would be on the news or similar.

I know this new all-encompassing benefit payment thing is starting soon, does it have something to do with this?

The Council, as ever, are not being very helpful in clearing this up.

Any ideas Caggers?

This issue has been on the news.... and arises from the change in formula used by Local Authorities in delivering a Local Council Tax Benefit, and an attempt (through Welfare Reform) to incentivise those in receipt of benefit to work harder. Essentially, Central Government decreed that they would reduce Council Tax Benefit by 10%, and it was down to Local Authorities to devise their own Council Tax Benefit Scheme.

It may be that, in your daughter's area, the council has decided that all claimants have to re-apply for the new universal credit and that, until your daughter does, she will have a council tax bill to pay. She should contact the Council Tax Benefit department at the local council and ask them what they are instigating to replace CTB and can they please send her the relevant forms.

Feebee_71

The abolition of council tax benefit (CTB) has been in the news but hasn't caught the imagination of the press and politicians to the same extent as the 'bed room tax' even though it has the potential to affect more people. Each council was supposed to consult on the proposed Council Tax Support Scheme (CTS) they were introduction, i know my local council wrote to all claimants asking them for their opinion.

As the above post says central government has cut the funding for the new scheme by 10% and also protected pensioners, so working age people like your daughter will experience 15-20% cut depending on what scheme your local council adopts. Saying that £60 per month seems a huge cut given the modest sized property she is living in.

Its hard to advise as there is now a patchwork of different schemes, some local authorities have started counting Child Benefit as income (this was excluded in the old Council Tax Benefit). You and your daughter need to look at the benefit decision notice and try to reed through the local regulations/guidelines to try and get an idea of whats going on.

Can anyone confirm that any council who wish to inform it's occupants of changes etc must give them 1 months notice ?

The reason I ask is because today 20th I received notice of paying council tax (out of my Benefit) from next april but the letter head is dated the 2nd March ? Theres no post mark on the envelope.

The minimum required notice before a first instalment can be taken is 14 calendar days (from date of posting) followed by instalments not less than 1 month apart under the default scheme. If the council use the discretionary scheme then they still have to give 14 calendar days notice but can then allow weekly or fortnightly instalments.