Student Loan / PAYE not registered and no P60. ** REFUND RECEIVED - SUCCESS **

jo5ephedward5
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

not sure this is the right place to post this as more of a Tax / Employment issue but I assumed more people would see it here.

I’m having difficulty tracing tax and student loan payments that I’ve paid via PAYE.

I need this information as I’m nearing the end of paying my Student loan and looking at the SLC statements it appears there is 11 months of missing contributions from 2007/8 – this actually means I’ve made an overpayment once the missing 11 months are accounted for.

The student loan people have asked me to provide my P60 info so they can work out the overpayment etc however I no longer have my P60 or payslips from this period [i only keep them for 3 years] and upon contacting the tax office they also have a gap in contributions during this period.

I think what has happened is: In 2007/8 I moved from one company to another there was a payment listed with the tax office from my ‘old’ employer [employer A] for the first month of the financial year and the remaining 11 months should have come from my new employer [employer B] however they never received any.

I have looked through the student loan payments and not that in the 2007/8 period they only received £19 for the whole year – this was the amount taken from the very last salary instalment form employer A. it suggests that Employer B did not pay my student loan that year…I contacted the tax office and they have said that they have no record of income tax or NI being paid for this period either but employer B started paying them in 2008/9 and continued to do so throughout my employment with them. [they always seemed very strict about keeping things above board]

In 2010 Employer B went bust so I can’t get hold of them to see if they still have records…does anyone know if there is anything I can do to at least trace a P60 or Payslips for that period? It sounds like they just kept the money but the other 3 years I worked from them [2008-10]

I’d hate to be over £900 out of pocket which is essentially what will happen if I pay off the loan and ignore the missing payments

jo5ephedward5 Posts: 1Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:01 pm

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

• 9 months later...

I'm afraid it's tough - you learnt the hard way, never discard any payslips etc, until you know that the payments have safely arrived into your student loan account (and/or contributions account in your case).

You have now lost that money forever - accept the fact, and send off a replacement cheque to the student loan company for the amount involved, asking for a receipt or updated statement by return.

Sorry about the bad news - remember you have discarded your only proof of loan repayment, without checking first.

I'm afraid it's tough - you learnt the hard way, never discard any payslips etc, until you know that the payments have safely arrived into your student loan account (and/or contributions account in your case).

You have now lost that money forever - accept the fact, and send off a replacement cheque to the student loan company for the amount involved, asking for a receipt or updated statement by return.

Sorry about the bad news - remember you have discarded your only proof of loan repayment, without checking first.

Hi,

it's really ironic that you've pulled this post from the depths because I was just about to update it.

I managed to track down my tax information as the tax office record everything you just need to dig deep to find it - this information was sent to SLC last year who updated my account but still continued taking payments from me until last month when it stopped going from my PAYE.

I came home tonight to a letter from SLC starting:

"According to our records it appears that you have over repaid your student loan account based on the latest information received fro tax year" blah blah blah...

A quick check online and my account says they owe me £1134 - will call them tomorrow to claim my 'prize' - bet they don't refund with the same interest that they've fleeced off me over the years.

So whilst it is VERY important to keep paperwork for a long time just in case this is proof that its not all doom and gloom - please don't post telling people to give up and accept their money has gone...if its your money fight until you get it back.

Thanks

J

Well done jo

When you get your refund let us know and we will change the thread title to reflect the resolution of this issue.

As you say, never give up and be prepared to stick with it. :-)

Well done jo

When you get your refund let us know and we will change the thread title to reflect the resolution of this issue.

As you say, never give up and be prepared to stick with it. :-)

received the payment yesterday (:

thanks as ever.