• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Employment Tribunal-Co changed ownership

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My tribunal is being held over four days at the beginning of July. I have just discovered that the owners (who were franchisees) have sold their company to the franchise.

They were bringing five witnesses including both of the original directors.

My questions are, can I expect to see the original directors turn up as witnesses? I know there's no requirement on their part to do so and any response you give will just be opinion.

My other question is I have had little contact with Peninsula about this case. We've exchanged bundles and witness statements. They went through their usual request to strike out theatre, unsuccessfully. Are there any questions I should consider asking them?

Thanks in advance

Czinczar

Nobody could possibly answer these questions. We know nothing about the terms of the sale, the intentions of witnesses, or the role of Peninsula. Or the case! Any answer you got is likely to be wrong.

Ok, thanks, Sangie.

I knew the first question was just a matter of opinion. I was hoping to gain a consensus. Its not important.

I presumed that one would realise that Peninsula are acting on behalf of the Respondents. The particulars of the case wouldn't have a bearing on a generalised question. I'm not looking for right or wrong answers.

I'm looking for examples of possible outcomes, thus allowing me to prepare for these contingencies.

As to my second question, whilst it is somewhat philosophical in nature, bears strongly on the Respondent's ability to respond.

I did feel that if the previous directors felt the sale meant they were disinclined to bear testimony, that it changed the shape of the case.

For example, whilst the Judge can read their written statement, they will not be responding to any evidence I might produce. This will likely damage the Respondent's case.

Somebody might have experience of this and give me a feel as to how a judge is likely to respond. Will the Judge, for example, rule out any evidence relating to the previous directors?

Should I contact Peninsula with a view to a settlement offer? etc

Equally, it may be that the new owners have a disclaimer in the sale agreement requiring the previous directors to act.

I was hoping others here might have some experience or knowledge about these things and could direct my thoughts as to further preparation. I suspect writing to Peninsula to enquire about the status of the directors as witnesses would be prudent.

Thanks again for your time, Sangie

James555

One did, in fact, recognise that Peninsula would be acting on behalf of the employer in some capacity. But given that they also have a range of employer services it could have been in several different forms, including, potentially as a co-respondent. I presumed one would know that...

You are not Peninsula's client - they are hardly likely to respond to you unless instructed to do so by someone who is their client.

One has quite a lot of experience or knowledge about these things, but doesn't possess a crystal ball, and is therefore not able to divine the intentions of a group of people one knows nothing about, in a case one knows nothing about, in relation to a sale one doesn't know the terms of!

It is equally possible that you no longer have a case because you have no respondent. But that, like all your suggestions, is a guess based on absolutely no information!

But Peninsula won't be offering you a settlement unless their clients instruct them to. They are only acting as legal advisors, and don't initiate any action themselves.

That is, of course, assuming they have anything at all to do with it any more - it is also possible that their clients are now former clients.

Sangie

Thank you. I don't believe I need any further advice from you. I would quickly point out that the Respondents are the Company and not the Directors.

If I can figure out a way to close this thread, I shall.

James555

then clearly you know everything you need to know.

As your original posting makes no mention of what this is all about then people will need to ask questions and that includes ones about in what capacity someone is acting.

If you think writing to Peninsula then you do that, I would write to the trinbunal seeking an order for the company to make these things clear as you would want to cross examine them and their evidence or have it chucked out if they dont appear.

Ok, thanks, Sangie.

I knew the first question was just a matter of opinion. I was hoping to gain a consensus. Its not important.

I presumed that one would realise that Peninsula are acting on behalf of the Respondents. The particulars of the case wouldn't have a bearing on a generalised question. I'm not looking for right or wrong answers. I'm looking for examples of possible outcomes, thus allowing me to prepare for these contingencies.

As to my second question, whilst it is somewhat philosophical in nature, bears strongly on the Respondent's ability to respond.

I did feel that if the previous directors felt the sale meant they were disinclined to bear testimony, that it changed the shape of the case. For example, whilst the Judge can read their written statement, they will not be responding to any evidence I might produce. This will likely damage the Respondent's case. Somebody might have experience of this and give me a feel as to how a judge is likely to respond. Will the Judge, for example, rule out any evidence relating to the previous directors? Should I contact Peninsula with a view to a settlement offer? etc

Equally, it may be that the new owners have a disclaimer in the sale agreement requiring the previous directors to act. I was hoping others here might have some experience or knowledge about these things and could direct my thoughts as to further preparation. I suspect writing to Peninsula to enquire about the status of the directors as witnesses would be prudent.

Thanks again for your time, Sangie

James555

I would clearly expect those that have given witness statements to turn up on that day

However, some people, for whatever reasons, don’t turn up (eg sickness or bereavement)

That witness statement is either not read or light weight is given to them

My bet is that it wouldn’t be read.

I would suggest you prepare to cross examine everyone that has given a witness statement

I believe you should have all your questions ready by now (at least a month in advance)

Regarding settlement agreement, my suggestion is that you make an offer

Make a high offer then note that it is open to negotiation

My reason;

The other side hasn’t made any offer (not to my knowledge), so I deduce that their case is strong

Making an offer would kind of protect you against any cost in case they win

Cost are usually NOT made in an Employment Tribunal but it wouldn’t hurt if you take a little insurance

Please note, I have not sight of your case so can’t say if it has merit or not

In any event, deciding on the merit of a case is the job of a legal adviser, I’m not

Finally, you are free to write to Peninsula and ask them about the status and/or availability of their witnesses

They should respond

If they don’t, then you can write to the Tribunal and ask for an Order

You shouldn't rush to the Tribunal at the slightest opportunity

Make sure you point out that you had earlier written to the other side and they refused.

Also, point out that you consider their behaviour unreasonable conduct

Thank you, Dondada. A thoughtful essay. Much appreciated.

I have wondered about a settlement agreement.

My concern was that they had not produced a good argument in their ET3, their bundle or their witness statements to show that my primary case was poor.

This read to me that their defence was not going to be evidence based and was not going to rely on the law.

My case rests on a point of law.

Generally, as I understand it, this means they do a lot of pounding on tables (as they say). This makes me suspect that their case isn't very strong.

I believe they're going to rely on claiming that they were wonderful and I was not which unfortunately (even if it were true) completely misses the point of the case. I appreciate you're not a legal advisor but you offered me some good cold advice. Thanks.

I know it weakens their case if the directors who've resigned don't turn up. I'm not relying on that. I'll also ask about the availability of their witnesses. The new Directors are part of a much larger company and they may take a different view to the previous directors.

I have prepared questions for all of the witnesses already.

I've yet to package them. I've also prepared for the questions I think I will be asked as their solicitor tells me that he expects to have me on the stand for three hours.

As regards putting my case, I have been using most of my witness statement (which has a significant number of points to use).

I've asked a friend who I consider to be intelligent and commercially knowledgeable to review it and I'm prepared for something of a re-write.

It is about 20,000 words packed down as I don't want to be verbose or drift off topic. I'm mindful that I will be reading it out and this offers opportunities too.

I like your idea of making an offer.

I had always presumed that the first to make an offer is showing a weakness. Nevertheless, I think I'll do as you say.

I don't believe I'm hurt if they reject it.

Thanks again, Dondada

Kind regards

James555

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

in order to answer your question, I would have to digress a little

In NLP, we have the VAK representational system

V - visual

A - auditory

K - kinesthetics

A person with a visual system would say "I can't see your point"

A person with kinesthetics system would say "I can't get a grip of what you are saying"

To build a Rapport with a person and in turn influence them you have to know their system and "mirror" them

Judges and Lawyers have the same training hence speak the same "language".

In order words, they mirror themselves

They have a Rapport already

Due to that Rapport, a Judge would have a natural bias towards the Lawyer

It is not illegal but crucially it is unconscious and just a human failings

You have to work twice as hard to overcome that bias

I denote confidence on your part due to the weakness of the other side's case

Just be careful it doesn't become overconfidence

On a positive note, I believe you can overcome that Rapport because Judges love justice and tend to favour the right person

Just watch out for that overconfidence

Edited by dx100uk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dondada

Thank you for that.

My apologies for not responding sooner but I've finally got a full time job and am trying to balance work with the case load.

I made them an offer which they rejected out of hand.

On a positive note, they described the Respondent as extremely confident.

That made me laugh because we've been in front of the Judge before and if they had a killer defence, it would have been a great time to present it.

Equally, they could have told me.

I would definitely put a halt to proceedings if they could show any significant strength.

Their response was just mind games and poorly done at that.

He's tried to get my goat on several occasions but mostly I found it risible.

Truthfully, I'm either very confident or very despondent when it comes to the case.

At work I can be considered a bit phlegmatic but I enjoy giving talks, so as a person, I expect to come across as confident.

My biggest weakness is getting chatty (as you might tell from the length of my posts).

I was aware of what you're calling rapport between a lawyer and judge.

I'm hoping to show common sense and that their Lawyer is simply parroting the Respondent's position and attempting to translate that into a case.

In particular from their side of the bundle and their witness statements, I think I can show that these have no bearing on the case and is simply deflection i.e. no matter the level of their Lawyer's professionalism, it's the client at fault.

That last is my point two of the three legs a statutory dismissal case rest on: that I chose to leave at an appropriate moment based on their prior actions and their recent decisions.

So, you're right, I am pretty confident.

I have two main tactics that I expect to play a lot; shutting up and pointing out strawmen. My feeling is though, that it's like a football match; it's all on the day!

Thanks again for your kind words and advice.

James555

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Hi,

I just saw this and thought it could be helpful to you.

Note the settings is in the US and it is in a criminal case

However, I believe this is what you should be doing now ie learning how to cross-examine the witnesses

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-destroy-a-witness-on-the-stand-2013-7?IR=T

Hi,

I just saw this and thought it could be helpful to you.

Note the settings is in the US and it is in a criminal case

However, I believe this is what you should be doing now ie learning how to cross-examine the witnesses

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-destroy-a-witness-on-the-stand-2013-7?IR=T

Blimey. I thought it was about showing the tribunal that the other side had behaved unlawfully.

If (as a lay person) you have to use tactics to belittle or discomfort witnesses:

A) the tribunal staff will likely notice

B) they may intervene to stop you badgering witnesses

C) they might ask themselves if you have any evidence to support yourself and why you aren’t focusing on that instead.....

I really don't understand this The OP asked for help Nobody was able to assist

He even wanted to close the Thread

I was able to offer some tips and advice Which he appreciated

Rather than offering your own tips and advice, mine is being criticized

Please offer your own suggestions and the OP will choose which he prefers

I wonder what the Site Team will say about this unfair attack

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

I really don't understand this

The OP asked for help

Nobody was able to assist

He even wanted to close the Thread

I was able to offer some tips and advice

Which he appreciated

Rather than offering your own tips and advice, mine is being criticized

Please offer your own suggestions and the OP will choose which he prefers

I wonder what the Site Team will say about this unfair attack

Report my post, then, and let the site team decide.

I suspect (with regard to an “unfair attack”) that they’ll say

a) it isn’t unfair, and

b) it isn’t an attack.

As an observation (and not an attack!), you seem to consistently:

A) advise people to go to an ET, regardless of if it seems they have a good case

B) if someone says they don’t have a good case for an ET, say

i) that they shouldn’t be giving legal advice

ii) that they don’t have all the facts and thus can’t comment.

Yet,

a) the same applies to you regarding Bi and Bii

b) you always then say “I’m just giving options and the OP can decide” ; which is true, but equally true for those who are disagreeing with you!

Who am I likely to find more persuasive?

Someone who always seems to say “take it to an ET” whatever the scenario,

Or someone who sometimes says “take it to an ET”, other times “you won’t have a chance at an ET”, and who seems to be more familiar with the ET process, which leads me to:

You still haven’t answered just how many ET claims you have been involved with / how many ET’s you’ve actually been to; which you’ve now been asked a number of times without an answer.

So clearly, the issue you have is with me.

It isn't because what I said was wrong just that you have a problem with me.

I have a strong belief in the legal principle of ubi jus ibi remedium

I'm very proud of that

I would just expect that you engage with me on an intellectual level

This pettiness of Ad hominem fallacious argument is getting us no where

Please provide solid arguments and evidence to disprove my points

That is a higher level of discussion

So clearly, the issue you have is with me.

It isn't because what I said was wrong just that you have a problem with me.

I have a strong belief in the legal principle of ubi jus ibi remedium

I'm very proud of that

I would just expect that you engage with me on an intellectual level

This pettiness of Ad hominem fallacious argument is getting us no where

Please provide solid arguments and evidence to disprove my points

That is a higher level of discussion

No, my “issue” isn’t with you, but your behaviour, and your ‘advice’.

As I said before, recommending basing a case on haranguing / belittling the other side’s witnesses rather than a strong case is poor advice.

Only ever recommending “take it to an ET” regardless of if the case appears weak or strong suggests a skewed starting point.

Avoiding answering just how much experience you have in real life, rather than ‘armchair warrior’ : doesn’t build confidence on a background of the above described behaviour.

That isn’t a merely academic or ad hominem discussion, but based on your previous posts, and the questions you seem to be ‘dodging’

Only ever recommending “take it to an ET” regardless of if the case appears weak or strong suggests a skewed starting point.

Here is my favourite quote

Basically it says Cases turn on small details

Megarry J in John v Rees [1970] 1 Ch 345, 402

"As everybody who has anything to do with the law well knows, the path of the law is strewn with examples of open and shut cases which, somehow, were not; of unanswerable charges which, in the event, were completely answered; of inexplicable conduct which was fully explained; of fixed and unalterable determinations that, by discussion, suffered a change"

If you don't have ALL the facts don't advise for or against legal action

If you don't have ALL the facts don't advise for or against legal action

Great.

Since you’ve pointed out in the past that only the OP has ALL the facts, are you suggesting there is no point in offering advice?

When are you:

a) going to start “practicing what you preach”,

b) answer about your ET experience.......

I’d prefer those who say instead “based on what has been posted, there are good grounds for taking a case to an ET”, or

“Based on what has been posted there seem slim (or no) grounds for taking a case to an ET”, and I’m more likely to be persuaded by someone who seems able to consider a range of cases and come to that range of conclusions, based on their real life experiences.....

And another thread temporarily closed until the OP wishes it be re open.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks