Baillifs failing to give Notices and charging full fees on first visit - Can I reclaim fees?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2785 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, this is my first post on the site and I hope someone can help.

I am self-employed, based at home and have 2 Limited companies (1 active and 1 dormant). Business has been very difficult over the last couple of years and cash flow has been a major problem.

On the 9th July a high court writ was issued against my dormant business for £1,717.66 and Court Enforcement Services Limited were given the job of enforcement but I did not receive any Notice of Enforcement from them.

On the 1 Aug, 2 enforcement officers came to my home (where the dormant business is registered) and said they were High Court Bailiffs and had come to seize goods. I asked to see the writ but they only very briefly showed my an Ipad type device but wouldn't let me examine it. They then just brushed passed me and entered my home through a patio door.

I informed them that I had not received any notification which they just dismissed out of hand and said that we were now at stage 2 anyway. I told them I didn't know what they were talking about and needed to see the proper documentation.

I asked what the amount owing was and they told me £3,399. I told them that the business was dormant and had no assets and they said that they would take whatever they wanted from the property and began collecting my laptop and printer. I told them that those items did not belong to the dormant company but I was told I had to prove it. I began finding proof for them and I also told them that removing any other items was going to affect my ability to work and run my active business. They ignored this. Having proved I owned the items I was asked if I was refusing to pay which I said I wasn't refusing to pay I just needed some time to get the money. I was told I needed to pay immediatley or other goods would be removed. They threatened to remove a horse transport lorry whose value is far in excess of the amount owed. I was able to prove that that vehicle was on a HP agreement. They also threatened to remove horses from our field.

I had to repeatedly ask to see paper copy of the writ and they eventually went to their van and printed one. That is when I saw that the original amount was only £1717.66 and I asked why they were demanding so much more. They said it was down to the fees that had been added. I asked for a breakdown of their fees and they said they would provide that later but said that because I wasn't going to pay we were now at stage 3. I told them I still didn't know what they were talking about but they didn't explain. I had also been telling them that I could pay because I was owed money through my active business and the payments were due to go into my account at any time (I even had remittance advice notes from companies making payments but they were not interested). They repeatedly threatend to remove goods and apply more fees unless I paid immediately and they then began going round the whole of my house (kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, childrens rooms etc.) looking for things to remove, I told them I needed some time to make some calls and get the money, which I did.

Luckily I was able to get someone to pay me straight away and once I had received the money in my account I paid the enforcement officers by debit card. They wrote me a receipt but failed to give me a breakdown of the fees. I asked for one but they claimed they couldn't get an internet signal to print it from their van. They said they would email it to me but I didn't get an email from them either. I emailed their office the next day and they provided this breakdown:

Dear Sirs

With reference to your email dated 2 August, please see below a breakdown in this matter as requested:

Writ amount: £1,717.66

Interest on writ amount (@8%) from date of writ to date of payment: £9.46

Compliance Fee: £90.00

Enforcement Stage 1 Fee: £228.00

7.5% Fee of amount over £1,000.00: £65.41

Enforcement Stage 2 Fee: £594.00

Sale of Disposal Fee: £630.00

7.5% Fee of amount over £1,000.00: £65.03

Totals: £3,399.56

The above fees are inclusive of VAT at 20%

They also added:

"There is no requirement to actually remove goods for the Sale or Disposal fee and 7.5% fee to be applicable, the commencement of the process is sufficient for the application of the sale or disposal stage fee."

Having done some reading and trying to check the facts I think they have charged too much because this was their first visit and full payment was made, no initial Notice of Enforcement was received, they failed to give proper notice of moving to the next fee stage, no 'Notice After Entry' form was given, nothing was itemised or removed, no control of goods notice was written up or issued. They also knew the exact total figure (Including the fees) shortly after entering the premises. They provided no explanation of that, or their fees and no explanation of my options/consequences etc. They were just very high pressure and applied more pressure whenever I asked a question.

I am going to make a complaint to them because I believe they have charged too much and I think I should be refunded some the fees. I accept that they attended my property so up to level 1 Attendance on the fees scale is correct but above that I think is incorrect. Can anyone with knowledge in this matter please advise me?

Sorry if my post is too long but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi,

I asked what the amount owing was and they told me £3,399. I told them that the business was dormant and had no assets and they said that they would take whatever they wanted from the property and began collecting my laptop and printer. I told them that those items did not belong to the dormant company but I was told I had to prove it.

I had to repeatedly ask to see paper copy of the writ and they eventually went to their van and printed one. That is when I saw that the original amount was only £1717.66 and I asked why they were demanding so much more. They said it was down to the fees that had been added. I asked for a breakdown of their fees and they said they would provide that later but said that because I wasn't going to pay we were now at stage 3.

I told them I still didn't know what they were talking about but they didn't explain. I had also been telling them that I could pay because I was owed money through my active business and the payments were due to go into my account at any time (I even had remittance advice notes from companies making payments but they were not interested). They repeatedly threatend to remove goods and apply more fees unless I paid immediately and they then began going round the whole of my house (kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, childrens rooms etc.) looking for things to remove,

I told them I needed some time to make some calls and get the money, which I did.

Luckily I was able to get someone to pay me straight away and once I had received the money in my account I paid the enforcement officers by debit card. They wrote me a receipt but failed to give me a breakdown of the fees. I asked for one but they claimed they couldn't get an internet signal to print it from their van. They said they would email it to me but I didn't get an email from them either. I emailed their office the next day and they provided this breakdown:

The fee scale for 'High Court' cases has been significantly improved since 2014. However, the application of the 'second enforcement stage' fee (of £495) or more importantly; when this fee should apply) has been the cause of much debate and is further complicated by the wording of clause 7.4 of the Explanatory Memorandum supporting the Taking Control of Goodsicon (Fees) Regulations 2014 which states as follows:

The personal liability of the High Court Enforcement Officer has also necessitated the need for High Court enforcement to have first and second enforcement stages with the associated fees.

The fee structure for High Court cases also introduces an incentive to enter into, and adhere to, an affordable controlled goods agreement. Unless a debtor pays in full at the compliance stage, the enforcement agent is obliged to visit the debtor in every High Court case in order to take control of goods, thereby triggering the first enforcement stage.

If the enforcement agent is then unable to enter into a controlled goods agreement
(and has to take control of goods in another manner) or a debtor defaults on a controlled goods agreement,
the enforcement agent will be under an obligation to remove goods and therefore the second enforcement stage fee will also apply

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0140001_en.pdf

Of serious concern is that in this particular case, as soon as the enforcement agent entered your property, he stated that he required payment of £3,399.

What is significant about this is that a decision had already been made in advance that you were not going to be making payment..... and also, that a Controlled Goods Agreement was not going to be an option !!

Worse still, a decision had been made (again, in advance) that preparation would need to be made for the removal of your goods.

The 2nd stage fee is possibly right....but to my mind, the application of the Sale of Disposal Fee of £630.00 and the 7.5% uplift of £65.03 is wholly wrong.

It appears to me that there are a minority number of HCEO companies riding roughshod over Judgment Debtors and moving straight to the Sale Stage. With this particular company we have have come across several instances where no NoE has been received. What we see here and elsewhere is just a tiny number of the Writs they deal with and I fear there are many more that they are taking more than advantage of.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having done some reading and trying to check the facts I think they have charged too much because this was their first visit and full payment was made,

no initial Notice of Enforcement was received,

they failed to give proper notice of moving to the next fee stage,

no 'Notice After Entry' form was given,

nothing was itemised or removed,

no control of goods notice was written up or issued.

Thanks.

While the internet is an excellent source of information, it needs to be made clear that there is a great deal of unreliable information on the net (as you may well have discovered).

In relation to a Notice of Enforcement, the Interpretation Act states that a document is deemed served and it is for you...and not an enforcement company....to prove that it was not.

The regulations do not require a notice to be given that enforcement has moved to the next stage.

There is no legal requirement stating that a CGA must be entered into. Also, before considering a CGA, the enforcement agent would need to be satisfied that there are sufficient 'non exempt' items that could be taken into control. In your case, this did not seem to be an option.

Hi, this is my first post on the site and I hope someone can help.

I am self-employed, based at home and have 2 Limited companies (1 active and 1 dormant). Business has been very difficult over the last couple of years and cash flow has been a major problem.

On the 9th July a high court writ was issued against my dormant business for £1,717.66 and Court Enforcement Services Limited were given the job of enforcement but I did not receive any Notice of Enforcement from them.

On the 1 Aug, 2 enforcement officers came to my home (where the dormant business is registered) and said they were High Court Bailiffs and had come to seize goods. I asked to see the writ but they only very briefly showed my an Ipad type device but wouldn't let me examine it. They then just brushed passed me and entered my home through a patio door.

I informed them that I had not received any notification which they just dismissed out of hand and said that we were now at stage 2 anyway. I told them I didn't know what they were talking about and needed to see the proper documentation.

I asked what the amount owing was and they told me £3,399. I told them that the business was dormant and had no assets and they said that they would take whatever they wanted from the property and began collecting my laptop and printer. I told them that those items did not belong to the dormant company but I was told I had to prove it. I began finding proof for them and I also told them that removing any other items was going to affect my ability to work and run my active business. They ignored this. Having proved I owned the items I was asked if I was refusing to pay which I said I wasn't refusing to pay I just needed some time to get the money. I was told I needed to pay immediatley or other goods would be removed. They threatened to remove a horse transport lorry whose value is far in excess of the amount owed. I was able to prove that that vehicle was on a HP agreement. They also threatened to remove horses from our field.

I had to repeatedly ask to see paper copy of the writ and they eventually went to their van and printed one. That is when I saw that the original amount was only £1717.66 and I asked why they were demanding so much more. They said it was down to the fees that had been added. I asked for a breakdown of their fees and they said they would provide that later but said that because I wasn't going to pay we were now at stage 3. I told them I still didn't know what they were talking about but they didn't explain. I had also been telling them that I could pay because I was owed money through my active business and the payments were due to go into my account at any time (I even had remittance advice notes from companies making payments but they were not interested). They repeatedly threatend to remove goods and apply more fees unless I paid immediately and they then began going round the whole of my house (kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, childrens rooms etc.) looking for things to remove, I told them I needed some time to make some calls and get the money, which I did.

Dear Sirs

With reference to your email dated 2 August, please see below a breakdown in this matter as requested:

Writ amount: £1,717.66

Interest on writ amount (@8%) from date of writ to date of payment: £9.46

Compliance Fee: £90.00

Enforcement Stage 1 Fee: £228.00

7.5% Fee of amount over £1,000.00: £65.41

Enforcement Stage 2 Fee: £594.00

Sale of Disposal Fee: £630.00

7.5% Fee of amount over £1,000.00: £65.03

Totals: £3,399.56

The above fees are inclusive of VAT at 20%

They also added:

"There is no requirement to actually remove goods for the Sale or Disposal fee and 7.5% fee to be applicable, the commencement of the process is sufficient for the application of the sale or disposal stage fee."

Having done some reading and trying to check the facts I think they have charged too much because this was their first visit and full payment was made, no initial Notice of Enforcement was received, they failed to give proper notice of moving to the next fee stage, no 'Notice After Entry' form was given, nothing was itemised or removed, no control of goods notice was written up or issued. They also knew the exact total figure (Including the fees) shortly after entering the premises. They provided no explanation of that, or their fees and no explanation of my options/consequences etc. They were just very high pressure and applied more pressure whenever I asked a question.

I am going to make a complaint to them because I believe they have charged too much and I think I should be refunded some the fees. I accept that they attended my property so up to level 1 Attendance on the fees scale is correct but above that I think is incorrect. Can anyone with knowledge in this matter please advise me?

Sorry if my post is too long but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Gosh, your post leads to a lot of questions in need of answers, Have you now paid in full? if yes, then that puts you in a good positon to take your time,go through the matter with a toothcomb and weigh up your options. Lets start with little steps and examine the basics.

Were you aware of the ccj?

Did you agree in whole or in part to the amount being claimed by the creditor?

Did you defend the claim in court or was the Judgment made in default?

Did the Judgment result in payment to be made forthwith?

Did you attempt to seek a repayment proposal with the creditor?

As an aside...

It is such a rare thing for livestock to be taken into control or indeed be removed, there are many hoops the HCEO must jump through before that can be accomplished.

The real issue is that if there genuinely were no assets of the judgment debtor at the property then they had nothing to take control of (seize). This means that the application of the Sale or Disposal Fee is impossible as detailed in the Regualtions below this fee can only be applied where they are in attendance "for the purpose of transporting goods to the place of sale". No goods = no sale.

Stages of enforcement for which fees may be recovered – enforcement of High Court writs

6.(1) The relevant stages of enforcement under an enforcement power conferred by a High Court writ are as follows—

(a) the compliance stage, which comprises all activities relating to enforcement from the receipt by the enforcement agent of instructions to use that procedure in relation to a sum to be recovered up to but not including the commencement of the first enforcement stage, or, where sub-paragraph ©(i) applies, the commencement of the second enforcement stage;

(b) where the enforcement agent and the debtor enter into a controlled goods agreement, the first enforcement stage, which comprises all activities relating to enforcement from the first attendance at the premises in relation to the instructions until the agreement is completed or breached;

© the second enforcement stage, which comprises—

(i) where the enforcement agent and the debtor do not enter into a controlled goods agreement, all activities relating to enforcement from the first attendance at the premises in relation to the instructions up to but not including the commencement of the sale or disposal stage;

(ii) where the enforcement agent and the debtor enter into a controlled goods agreement but the debtor breaches that agreement, all activities relating to enforcement from the time at which the debtor breaches the agreement up to but not including the commencement of the sale or disposal stage;

(d) the sale or disposal stage, which comprises all activities relating to enforcement from the first attendance at the property for the purpose of transporting goods to the place of sale, or from commencing preparation for sale if the sale is to be held on the premises, until the completion of the sale or disposal (including application of the proceeds and provision of the information required by regulation14).

It would appear that based on what is said in the post being fact, even if there were goods of the debtor at the property then the Enforcement Agent is being overtly aggressive in his application of the fees. The intention of the new regulations was always to afford the debtor time to make payment or agree a payment arrangement without the escalation of the staged fees.

Could you keep us up-to date on what happens after the compliant is received please.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I note you've changed the title of your post now.

In terms of "can you reclaim your fees", if you beleive they have been charged incorrectly then the correct method is to apply for a detailed assessment of those fees in court.

Unfortunately this is not always a simple process and it would always be sensible to seek the advice of a solicitor before embarking on any legal proceedings where you could end up with the other sides costs if you lose.

According to this, their clients should be able to see just how "transaparant" they are with their fees: http://www.courtenforcementservices.co.uk/court-enforcement-services-enter-the-utilities-telecoms-awards-with-new-agent-patroller-app/

I doubt they class debtors as clients unless there is an alternative of the client side.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It appears to me that there are a minority number of HCEO companies riding roughshod over Judgment Debtors and moving straight to the Sale Stage. With this particular company we have have come across several instances where no NoE has been received. What we see here and elsewhere is just a tiny number of the Writs they deal with and I fear there are many more that they are taking more than advantage of.

I agree. This isn't helped by the information on the HCEOA website which states:

"(The writ) ..... commands the Officer to enforce the Writ immediately and does not provide for time to pay. If you are unable to pay in full immediately, the High Court Enforcement Officer will identify a list of your goods (an inventory) that may be sold if the debt is not paid."

The word 'immediately' appears in several publications. I thought I'd read it last night in the legislation somewhere, but can't find it today. Surely the debtor has to be given some time to get the money together? There's no mention in the OP's first post about how long it took them to get the money, but it sounds like it was done with the bailiff still in the property.

As HCEO's has stated, it would appear the bailiff was rather over zealous from what we have been told.

I note the law states 'a record' must be kept of the time the NOE was sent / issued. Is there anywhere a definition of what form this 'record' should take?

Can the debtor not make a Stat Dec stating the NOE was not received?

It would be good to have some discussion regarding the switching between stage one and two. I think most understand how it should work, in practice, I do wonder how many agents return to their office with a signed CGA and say this was obtained at stage one.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

The word 'immediately' appears in several publications. I thought I'd read it last night in the legislation somewhere, but can't find it today. Surely the debtor has to be given some time to get the money together? There's no mention in the OP's first post about how long it took them to get the money, but it sounds like it was done with the bailiff still in the property.

They will use the argument that plenty of time has been given - all the time taken in the run up to when a CCJ is awarded against you, the time given in the NoE etc. It all falls down however when documentation has been sent to an old address - let us not forget there are those who seem to make a profession of doing it this way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I do not think the EA has any option.

He has to either get a controlled goods agreement or the full payment, a promise to pay is not acceptable without one.

In this case goods were not available to take under control.

EDIT Unless of course they offer a substantial payment

He has to either get a controlled goods agreement or the full payment, a promise to pay is not acceptable without one.

If the horse transporter had some equity, then a Controlled Goods Agreement could have been an option.

They will use the argument that plenty of time has been given - all the time taken in the run up to when a CCJ is awarded against you, the time given in the NoE etc. It all falls down however when documentation has been sent to an old address - let us not forget there are those who seem to make a profession of doing it this way.

I was referring more to the use of the word 'immediately' for the visits, as the OP's first post gives the impression that they went from one stage to another pretty much in a matter of minutes; of course they could have been there all day, we don't know. Agressive enforcement of this nature has no place though.

I do not think the EA has any option.

EDIT Unless of course they offer a substantial payment

Full payment was made though.

How long would an HCEO be 'reasonably' expected to hang around while the debtor gets the money together? There must be some time allowed, as not many have that money available to hand immediately; at the very least it may take a bank transfer from a savings account or something - or can they just go straight through each stage, conveniently clocking up more fees, because the debtor cannot 'immediately' access the money?

I note the law states 'a record' must be kept of the time the NOE was sent / issued. Is there anywhere a definition of what form this 'record' should take?

Can the debtor not make a Stat Dec stating the NOE was not received?

Anyone?

If the horse transporter had some equity, then a Controlled Goods Agreement could have been an option.

I think the OP made a point of saying that there was nothing registered to that particular business, which is probably believable to the EA since it was no longer trading.

I would be very surprised if they question the complaint n this case, given the amount of evidence.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

I will try and answer your questions and points you've all raised but if I miss anything please let me know.

They agents arrived at my property at about 4.30pm and we paid them in full at about 6.20pm.

In my original post I said the agents told me the amount owed was £3,399 shortly after they entered the property but one of them had already told my wife they were here to recover £3,399 just after they arrived while they were still on our driveway and definitely before they entered the property. They also told her that we had to either pay the full amount or they would take the horse transporter.

Most of the points I mentioned about not getting the correct notices were taken from the Citizens Advice website. They have a page on Bailiff's Notices but I can't post links yet because I'm new to the site. The CA site does state this:

Bailiffs' notices

These pages show you examples of the different notices bailiffs must give you at each stage of the process. They also tell you how the notices should be delivered to you and how much warning you should get of the next step of the process.

It is also stated in the Ministry of Justice National Standards guidelines that appropriate notices must be given:

23. Enforcement agents, for the purpose of taking control of goods shall, without the use of unlawful force, gain access to the goods. The enforcement agent must produce all relevant notices and documents, such as controlled goods agreements, that are required by regulations or statute.

Their page on issuing a Notice After Entry gives a clear overview and an image of the notice they are required to give but the information is not that clear. For example, it doesn't say whether this notice is issued only when someone is not present when the enter the property.

The site says that if notices and procedures are not followed I can complain to the company and request a refund and if not satisfied then take it to a magistrate.

The business that the writ was in the name of has never traded, has never made any purchases and has zero assets showing on the balance sheet. Only dormant accounts have been filed for it.

The escalation through the stages happened within a few minutes.

I asked if I could make a payment arrangement (I offered to pay in full by Friday 5th i.e within 5 days) but they refused. I offered to show them evidence that money was going to be available to pay but they refused to even look at it. One of the agents told me that there's always someone "people like me" can call to get money and he wasn't going to leave without payment.

The horse transporter is on an HP agreement with our other business and therefore they couldn't seize it. I also read that they could only seize goods up to the value of the claim and not something of a significantly disproportionate amount. The horse transporter is significantly more valuable than the claim was for.

The items they were threatening to take were essential items for my other business. By taking them they would have prevented me from being able to work. I also read that this was not permitted.

I don't believe they sent a Notice of Enforcement and I am interested to know of they are required to keep a record of its issue. I realise they can "create" a copy but this is such an important document in the whole process of the involvement of an enforcement company. I suspect they will cover their trail very well here because to charge a fee for a letter/service that they do not carry out could be classed as fraud (but I'm sure they would put it down to an "oversite" or "clerical error" if I was able to prove it.

I would welcome any further advice/questions anyone may have.

My plan is to get some legal advice before I make my initial complaint to the company. I will see what their response is before deciding whether to take it to the Magistrates court. Having read the Ministry of Justice National Standards guidelines and the HCEOA website I feel I also have grounds for complaining about the conduct of the agents.

I'll keep the thread updated and thanks again for your help.

Bailiff law is quite complex with respect, ther are a number of misconceptions here, we can advise on them or you can seek advice elsewhere, but i recommend that you do not take action under any of these points until you do.

The business that the writ was in the name of has never traded, has never made any purchases and has zero assets showing on the balance sheet. Only dormant accounts have been filed for it.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned previously, or my total ignorance of how companies work, but if the company is, and always has been dormant, it has never traded, never filed live accounts, how did it run up a debt of £1717.66?

Are you satisfied you actually owed that amount?