Advise needed with Garage issue

Ewan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK the story goes my 306 was due for an MOT 2 months ago, So I took it to a large independant garage in the centre of edinburgh, they inspected it, told me what needed doing (two front suspension arms, n/s anti roll bar link, mid section exhaust + clamps+ 2 brake pipes = £412 inc labour), So I swallowed the rather large and unexpected bill and had the work done.

All was fine when I drove out the garage.

Approximatly two months later it was time for a service, not wanting another hefty bill I did this myself. While checking over all the components I noticed large amounts of shoulder wear on my two front tires, one of them was replaced just before the MOT with a £30 tire as I got a puncture. For amounts of wear to be noticeble on a tire after only two months, and particularly only on the outer shoulder there must be somthing wrong, I suspected the tracking and took it down to quickfit to get it looked at.

The tracking values for a 306 of this age have tollerances of 1 to 2 (is it mm or degrees?), this one was at 15! It was out by a factor of TEN. The Quickfit guy was astonished that the car was handling correctly, so I asked could it have gone out like that by me bashing kerbs or potholes? He said catagorically not, only the monkey who re-attached the suspension components could have let it go like that, they must not have checked it after the MOT.

So I plan to go to the garage and demand (nicely of course, but firm) that they pay for the re-tracking (£25) and for half a new set of front tires (£30) as their incompetence has caused the wear to be abnormally high so soon.

Is this a realistic amount to ask them for? Should it be more? less?

Im going to stand my ground whatever I decide to ask for, no bargening for less back, I am prepared to go through the small claims if nessesary.

Do I have a good case?

RBoS:

Student Current Account: £300

Current Account: £100

Total = £400

• Statements requested 3/4, Received 26/4.
  • Pre-lim letter sent for both accounts 29/5.
  • 'Bugger-off' reply received 7/6.
  • LBA Hand delivered to Branch Manager 9/6
  • Reply received and ensuing email conversation terminated 21/6.
  • Claim Filed with Edinburgh Sheriff court 27/6.

• Return Date is 01/08, Hearing Date 08/08!
  • Letter REcieved 2/8 offering £280, Declined.
  • Phone call same day offering full amount + fees.

RESULT!!

Good idea, i'll throw that in when i meet them for extra weight.

edit..

Does anyone think itd be worth it to use VOSA as a threat to get a two brand new tires from them? Or is that pushing it...

RBoS:

Total = £400

RESULT!!

yeah have a go at anything but may be teh report to VOSA could stop it happening again, If they offer anything it would be the tracking as they could do it free, prob they say you should have gone back there.

If they offer tyres, make sure its not remoulds.

BL

Sorry thought i had read it wrong, you had this work carried out at an MOT station whilst having an MOT carried out? I would have thought VOSA would be intersted or at least you can log the complaint, the fact the poor care and skill would cause long term damage and make a car unsafe might cause an ear to open.

May be they have had other complaints against this garage and yours would be an extra wieght on the load, the trading standards may possibly come under the heading of poor care and skill but 2 months down the line i dont think much could be done?

next thing we will all have to do is have MOT certificates for are MOT certificates. "it's Madness"

May be VOSA could advice you as to the appropriate steps to take?

Have you tried contacting anyone yet? let us know how you go

ADDED...

just looked at another garage thread have a look at teh letter regarding care and skill act.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=76512#post76512

hope this helps

BL

Seeing as it was spotted as part of the MOT being done at the time AND the work was carried out by an MOT station I am sure VOSA would be VERY interested in this.

As for non-MOT if you read the original post the actual job was for

two front suspension arms, n/s anti roll bar link, mid section exhaust + clamps+ 2 brake pipes = £412 inc labour

Which clearly are MOT parts and the tracking was not corrected after replacing these items, with the tracking being a potentially dangerous fault to introduce then I would say go to VOSA

Yep, sorry that was an MOT job! Thought Id mentioned that.

I'll be taking action on this over the next week, will let you all know what happens!

RBoS:

Total = £400

RESULT!!

Well vosa wernt interested as its out of their juristiction, im in contact with trading standards now, whove advised me to get a better statement from kwikfit before approaching the garage, if the garge is unhelpfull they will get involved on my behalf.

Interesting stuff :)

RBoS:

Total = £400

RESULT!!

Hi Ewen,

Just read your thread with some interest (sorry didn’t get there before). Trading standards always the best bet as a threat to the original garage, check to see if they are members of the IMI, VBRA, RMI and so on, again a possible avenues for complaint. In my opinion they have charge you for a service which they have not carried out to the industry standard. There can only be two reasons on what’s gone wrong, either they are incompetent to carry out such task or have been negligent in carrying out that task. Defiantly grounds for recourse bottom line you paid the professionals to carry out a task that they have not been able to carry out. If you need any numbers or addresses send me a PM.

Ricky. :rolleyes: