• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BALSAFAS vs RBoS (New Case)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've been temped over the last few months to start the reclaim process against RBoS but was always put off by the whole thing. On reading some of the threads and advice given on this site though, I decided to go for it..

So, I've already had my subject data request through and I've gone through my statements. The spreadsheet template is all done, and I'm ready to send my first letter of action.

I have one small question before I do though - and it's related to the way banks claim the charges are a fee for the account and not a penalty.

I had one of their fancy Royalties accounts for a couple of years, for which the bank charged me £10/month running costs. These have been listed on my statements under 'CHG' for charges and have there for been carried over to my spreadsheet and included in the total claim (£2,796.43 inc interest!).

Should I remove these charges, for the period during which I held this premium account from my claim before I proceed?

Other than that - I'm raring to get started!

You can only include charges that were a penalty for something you did "wrong". You can't include charges that resulted in a benefit to you, e.g. the extras that come with a Royalties account (regardless of whether you used them or not). So no you can't claim the Royalties charges.

With RBoS the reclaimable charges are "referral", "unpaid item", "incorrect use of a cheque guarantee card" etc. The mysterious "maintenance charge" is debatable as it's a charge made whenever you exceed your authorised overdraft limit.

Thanks for that - I had assumed, but wanted to double check anyway.

I've included all of the maintenance charges, they ranged from £10/month up to an astonishing £90/month. The charge for a Royalties account was £10 then it went up to £12. Am I ok just to remove those amounts from the maintenance charges and still claim the rest?

Hi balsafas

Yes, remove the charges for the running of the account these will be ruled fair and reasonable charges for the service of running your account day to day.

If you leave them in it will cause you big problems and our friends Cobbetts will jump at the chance to rough the waters a bit.

Only claim your "penalty charges" i.e the return of d/d's s.o's and returned cheques, plus the interest IF it was only penalty charges that put you overdrawn. dont try and claim overdraft interest if you went overdrawn without them penalising you.

sparkie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice everyone :smashin:

First letter sent to RBoS on Monday this week. Total claim amount was for £2047. Obviously no word back yet but i'll update this thread with any progress made.

• 2 weeks later...

No reply at all from RBoS on the first letter - not that I'm surprised. Preparing the second letter for the postie.

Just before I send though, could someone please confirm which address they are sending their claims to? I sent my first letter to the St Andrews Square address in Edinburgh - that came from the list of registered offices elsewhere on the forums.

:smashin:

Try here: PRELIM LETTER & LBA

Customer Relations

Customer Central Support

First Floor

The Forthstone

56 South Gyle Crescent

Edinburgh

EH12 9LE

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

It's the one in the RBoS contact information sticky - I'm assuming (given that it was updated recently) that this is the address to use ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I had sent my first letter to the St Andrews Square address in Edinburgh. Perhaps the guide needs a little revision. If I remember correctly, the step by step process said to send your letters to your banks 'registered address'. The address linked to was their head office.

It's now been 35 days since I sent the first letter. Should I just now go ahead and send my second one to the revised address, or should I start the whole process again?

The address in the RBoS sticky are the addresses to use for SAR, Prelim, LBA, etc. You only use the Bank's registered address when you file your claim at court - as this is where your claim is served.

If you sent your first letter 35 days ago, you should send the second letter (LBA) to the address advised in the sticky. Doesn't matter where you sent the first letter - they'll have passed it on to the correct department (presumably) and, if they didn't pass it on, you still sent it! Send the LBA off asap. ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we are at day 13 after the LBA and still no response at all. I'm going to take the postal strikes in to account and give them until the end of this week to make contact.

Will update this thread with next moves.

Funnily enough - a response from RBS this evening.

"We believe the charges are fair, transparent and lawful."

It then goes on to say that since they had last written to me (which they didn't) - RBS became involved with legal proceedings with the OFT then much rabble about all claims being on hold.

I expected this anyway having followed the claims of others.

One of the rights it mentions is

"1. You may choose to take your complaint or claim against us to either the FOS or the courts in Scotland"

Obviously, because I'm resident in Scotland - there are slightly different processes involved.

I know about this test case, but the bankagreement.pdf file from the OFT website doesn't have RBS as a signed party - even though the OFT does mention their name in the text. Did anyone from RBS sign the agreement?

Can anyone tell me where I stand right now? I suspect a moneyclaim.gov visit coming on so would like to be absolutely certain on how to proceed.

Much appreciated!

Obviously, because I'm resident in Scotland - there are slightly different processes involved. Can anyone tell me where I stand right now? Did anyone from RBS sign the agreement? I suspect a moneyclaim.gov visit coming on so would like to be absolutely certain on how to proceed.

Apparently, RBS signed the following day for some reason so they have a separate but identical agreement. I've also asked for further advice on your claim, and the advice I've received is that with the total claim just over £2K you would be into 'ordinary cause' territory. Even if you wasn't it now possibly depends which court you go to (apparently there was a sist granted in Glasgow Sheriff Court).

If you're in Tayside, Central & Fife region you may however be able to split the claim and pursue it as seperate small claims (£750 each) as long as you wait until one is settled before starting another Sheriff Principal rejects banks' defence of res judicata | GLC July 2007' (many thanks to rory for this excellent info :) )

Whatever you decide to do though, DON'T file your claim via MCOL as Northampton are staying all claims at the moment (further info on this in my signature).

Best of luck :)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Apparently, RBS signed the following day for some reason so they have a separate but identical agreement. I've also asked for further advice on your claim, and the advice I've received is that with the total claim just over £2K you would be into 'ordinary cause' territory. Even if you wasn't it now possibly depends which court you go to (apparently there was a sist granted in Glasgow Sheriff Court).

If you're in Tayside, Central & Fife region you may however be able to split the claim and pursue it as seperate small claims (£750 each) as long as you wait until one is settled before starting another Sheriff Principal rejects banks' defence of res judicata | GLC July 2007' (many thanks to rory for this excellent info :) )

Whatever you decide to do though, DON'T file your claim via MCOL as Northampton are staying all claims at the moment (further info on this in my signature).

Best of luck :)

Thanks for the information - very much appreciated.

I live in Glasgow, so would need to deal with the courts in Strathclyde which is rather unfortunate. I'm really kicking myself now that I didnt take action sooner rather than later on this - thought about it for months before I did anything about it. I suspect this test case is putting a lot of people off starting the process now.

I'll have a good read of the information in your sig, though I may need to grab a coffee before I start :)

I'm quite happy to sit on this for the time being and do more reading, but because of the differences between claiming in Scotland and elsewhere, I'd really like to hear from anyone who has already completed the process or is currently going through the same thing as myself.

Once again, many thanks for the info.

RBS made me 2 offers on 2 seperate accounts before the deal on the 27th July, I accepted and returned the paperwork.

They have now sent me a new offer for 1 account which is the same as their previous offer (just under £1k) but with a new piece of paper to sign and on the second account (just over £2k) they have withdrawn their offer. I am waiting to speak to them about this as I type if I hear "thank you for calling, your call is in a queue and will be answered shortly" I might scream!!!!

I have other outstanding claims against them but have not heard anything about these yet but I intend to keep to my timescales and submit my claims as normal at least then they will be in the system to be processed when this is all sorted one way or the other.

9/8 - Discovered Consumer Action Group Site:D

RBOS - Personal Account

10/8 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to RBOS

17/5 - Defence lodged by RBS

24/5 - Court date

21/5 - Offer received:rolleyes:

22/5 - Offer rejected

25/5 - New offer received and accepted!!!!!!

MBNA Credit Card

10/8 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to MBNA

Feb 07 Received payment in full...Yeh!!!!:-D

RBOS Business Account

25/5 - May 07 - Statements received

23/7 - Offered received

Thanks Vonnie,

I assume you are in or around the Glasgow area?

I'm glad to hear you at least got an offer of settlement from them, gives me a little more hope.

I think I'm just going to move to the next step and submit a claim - don't want this dragging on for ever, and as you say it will at least get into the system.

How did you go about submitting yours? - did you do it direct with the courts?

On the subject of this letter they sent me - do I respond and let them know I am going to proceed anyway?

:smashin:

Yes I'm in Glasgow too, dealt with Glasgow Sheriff Court for a previous claim.

The claims I was referring to above I handled differently (I know lots of claims against RBS but over the years I have had various accounts with them!) I let them have their 6 weeks to resolve instead of going straight to court as one claim was over £2k which would have meant splitting it (which the courts could frown upon and be seen as an abuse of their system) or go down the ordinary cause route which I was reluctant to do. I got their offer letter just before the 27th so I was very lucky with those.

The staff at the Court in Glasgow were really helpfull and checked over my forms before submitting them, assisted me to correct any errors and were generally very good and put me at ease.

I have another claim for over £2k which I will be in a similar position to yourself but I intend to submit the claim anyway and at least then it is in the system and I will just keep to the usual timescales for stuff (well at least until someone on here tells me to do something differently!).

Good luck

9/8 - Discovered Consumer Action Group Site:D

RBOS - Personal Account

10/8 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to RBOS

17/5 - Defence lodged by RBS

24/5 - Court date

21/5 - Offer received:rolleyes:

22/5 - Offer rejected

25/5 - New offer received and accepted!!!!!!

MBNA Credit Card

10/8 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to MBNA

Feb 07 Received payment in full...Yeh!!!!:-D

RBOS Business Account

25/5 - May 07 - Statements received

23/7 - Offered received

• 1 month later...

Could someone possibly give me some guidance here please?

As above, RBS sent me a letter saying they have received my complaint but will not progress until after completion of the test case. I've been sitting on that letter for about a month now.

I'm a bit concerned that regardless of the OFT test case outcome, I won't receive my refund unless I've started court proceedings. This is where I am at the moment.

I'm thinking about protecting myself by getting a claim in to the court system. Could anyone please advice on how I should go about doing this and what steps I should take next?

Much appreciated!

If you start the court process they will deal with you. They may try to sist the action but you can argue against this using the case outlined by Rory32. The OFT case may set some sort of standard but it will not necesarily be binding in Scotland since we are not subjet to that court!!

written entirely without prejudice to my whole rights and pleas in law and may not be founded upon in any proceedings.:lol:

Thanks Douglas,

It was always my intention to start the court process, I'm happy to go ahead with that.

My question was more to ask how I go about starting that process....

I'm very weary about following the CAG guides because I'm well aware there are differences in the scottish procedures and don't want to mess things up by following a guide which related to English laws.

How much is your claim for roughly?

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.