• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Abbey Fob Off???? - **I WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6476 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks:|

I am lost! I sent the prelim letter to Abbey on 12/5 and got the standard "We're sorry you are unhappy" letter. I then sent the LBA on 26/5 which deadline runs out this friday. However, yesterday i got the following letter:

"

Thank you for your letter dated 12 may which has been passed to me to investigate. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding and allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience.

I am sorry we have given you cause to complain in relation to charges incurred on your abbey current account.

I have carefully considered the points you have raised, namely that you feel the charges unlawful. The fact remains however that the charges in question were prompted by payment requests against insufficient available funds. As such, they are valid and in line with our terms and conditions. Furthermore, having reviewed the history of your account, I can see this is not the first time you have incurred charges.

We do not feel that abbey’s charges are unlawful. When you opened the account with Abbey, you were provided with Terms and Conditions that detailed the charges that become applicable should you breach the terms of the account. Abbey is up front and transparent about all its banking charges as set out in the tariff of charges. Abbey’s current account is good value and our charges compare fairly with other banks. For most, people, banking is free and they do not incur charges.

I note you say you are unhappy with the charges you have incurred over the last fifteen months. If you felt at any time the charges were unfair or incorrect then the matter should have b been raised at that time. I accept that you did not set out to incur charges. Ultimately however, it is your responsibility to monitor your account and insure there are sufficient funds in your account at all times. As such and given the above, I do not feel that a waiver of charges is justified. The charges in question therefore stand.

I would also like to confirm, the recent office of fair trading announcement was in relation to credit card default charges and not overdraft default charges or to other products, such as bank accounts.

Should you be dissatisfied with the outcome of our investigation, I would like to remind you that you can refer your complaint to the financial ombudsman service. I enclose a booklet explaining how to take your complaint to the financial ombudsman service, and should you wish to do so, there is a time limit of six months from the date of this letter.

Basically, i don't know i have a case now or not? Is this just a scare tactic as this would have been received before the LBA? What do i do now?

Please help, Thanks!

Rayo1973:confused:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers

I thought it was a case of all done and dusted there. I suppose it scares off a lot of people. but I will stick to it and file my claim on Friday 9/6 as planned. Still a bit dubious about it, but sod it, why should they keep winning?

Rayo1973:oops:

How rubbish are the abbey??????:mad:

My LBA date runs out tomorrow, and as you can see from earlier in this thread i got the fob off letter, however, when i got home yesterday there was another copy of the "We're sorry you had to complain" letter with the dodgy photo copy. Does this actually meant that they keep no track of who writes to them, or what is going on? Is this just their ploy of trying to forget about it all?

Anyone else had this?

Also, going to be filing my claim tomorrow, and have to admit i'm a bit nervous about it. I know it's stupid, because it is my money and i am entitled to it, but i guess they make it go this far to try and put people off?

Cheers

Rayo1973:evil:

dont stop keep going I was in the same boat and now filed for nearly 3k, they have got until 14th to file a defence looking forward to spending some of my money they were kindly holding for me....

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

I think there is 2 ways this will go.... the masses will start this reclaim and they will just capitulate and pay up immediately and make there money in other ways... or they will try eventually to win a case in court ( this would be unlikely unless OFT did a massive u turn, this would lead to a revolt so extremely unlikely) .... at last a little bit of justice, not something we seem to see very often in the UK...

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

Justice, now that would be nice...

I can't see the OFT making a turn around, if anything i think that they knew they were opening the flood gates on this, and it was about time ordinary people got a chance to screw the banks for a change!

This board should be renamed the abbey habit? Definately a habit i am pushing anyone with an abbey account to get.

Rayo1973

Quote from rayo1973 above:

"I have carefully considered the points you have raised, namely that you feel the charges unlawful. The fact remains however that the charges in question were prompted by payment requests against insufficient available funds. As such, they are valid and in line with our terms and conditions. Furthermore, having reviewed the history of your account, I can see this is not the first time you have incurred charges."

Interesting, I have just received the same letter but it reads " I have carefully considered the points your raised, namely that you feel the charges are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Regulations 1999 and are unlawful at common law"

The rest is the same as yours, but out of the £2000 odd they owe they also remind me of the £30 they refunded me in 2005 and the £20 in Feb this year ... how kind!

However, they go on to say should I have points I'd like to discuss I should contct them - I'm just wondering if I should phone or just send in the LBA. I'll start my own Abbey thread on my claim.

HI Andrew

I would just go ahead and send the LBA, i honestly believe that if you contact them, they will try their best to pan you off with some mediocre "good will" gesture, or make it sound more difficult to proceed against them. But if anything, the fact that people like whizzkid went through the whole process and came out with a big grin, should be testiment to the rest of us that they can and will be beaten.

Rayo1973:)

I got the same letter I just sent them the LBA and completed my N1 ready to post to the county court on 19th June (the last day the LBA runs out)!

Still no DPA data!

Citi Cards - £800 - N1 Form logged at court

Defence entered

£279 refuned £521 outstanding on claim

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

March 07 Bailiffs called in to collect

20/4 Cheque for £549 - I WIN

Abbey - Setteled in full 9th Nov 2006 £3,300

Abbey - Data Protetion Act informtion

ICO complaint logged

Abbey - N1 Logged - 12/02/2007 £933

FOS Complaint logged 07/03/2007

£180 refunued -Good will Gesture 01/04/2007

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Egg - Data Protection Act request

Returned charges £80

Hi Folks:)

Ok it is the last day of the LBA timeframe today!!!!! Now i am getting nervous.

I am unsure as to the best weay to proceed with my claim, i have had a look at the moneyclaim website, but still don't know. Any ideas? Is there a template for how to file the claim with them?

I know it is probably silly, but i still get very aprehensive about the claim not going through, or the abbey taking it to court and giving me a complete mauling.

A very excited and nervous!:-|

Rayo1973

Don't worry, loads of us have felt the same. There is info in the library with ideas of what to put in the claim. Bankfodder provided this as space on the online form is limited to 24 lines and so many characters. I just adapted it for my own info. If it's any reassurance my claim was "deemed to be served" on the 5th June and I haven't heard anything yet. They only have till next Friday (19th June) to acknowledge. In the light of Whizzkid and Neil P's experiences I am expecting a positive outcome.

Good Luck

;) nn

FAQs: click here: http://READ THESE

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

Abbey: SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

BoS M/card SETTLED 27/09:lol:

Aqua CC (Halifax) SETTLED 28/06 :lol:

GMAC Request for refund 14/6; Prelim 31/7; LBA 11/9

First National Mortgage Data Protection Act sent 14/6 Statements 26/7

Cap 1 - SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

Abbey x 2: 50% offer refused AQ filed

I would use:

ABBEY NATIONAL PLC

ABBEY NATIONAL HOUSE

2 TRITON SQUARE REGENT'S PLACE

LONDON

NW1 3AN

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks Barracad.

Sorry, being a bit of a dummer there. I went onto the Abbey website and got the address - my head is full of sweety mice at the minute, a combination of apprehension and excitement.

Cheers

Raymond

Does this sound ok for claim details:

Claim for refund of punitive charges on account 90473585

Action is on the grounds that I had a contract with the defendant bank and which was conducted on their standard terms and conditions. I’m claiming the return of money taken by the defendant in the way of charges over the last 15 months plus the interest they have levied on those charges. The bank's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15.

I have repeatedly asked the bank to justify their charges but they have declined to do so.

There are 20 different charges between the dates of 20/06/2005 and 24/02/2006 with a total cost of £570.00 and £588.21 with interest. A schedule of all charges is available.

I am ready to hit the submit button, well,will do at the end of the day (being fair and giving them the full day to pay up).

Any suggestions?

[email protected]:-|

Don't forget that you need to add the paragraph about S69 of the County Courts Act which allows you to charge the additional 8% interest on all the charges.

I couldn't fit everything i wanted to into the space on the Moneyclaim form, and had to shrink various bits such as 'section 69' became S.69, and Unfair Terms.... became UTCC - you get the gist.

I would also highly recommend stating that a full particularisation of this claim will be sent to the defendant and court under seperate cover.

The reason for doing this is it is one of Abbey's stalling tactics that they don't have all the information to defend the claim. Include Date of Offence, Amount and Reason for Charge (ie. Bounced DD). I simply printed off the spreadsheet and pasted it into a Word Document headed with the case number etc.

Good Luck, let us know how you get on.

• Confused 1

Hi Neil

Thanks, forgot about that bit. i think the biggest struggle is to squeeze everything in, and then it gets difficult because it is hard to know what to leave out.

Thanks again

Rayo1973

Quick question, do i put in about the section 69 bit even though i have already calculated the interest using the excel template? Also, do i then use the figure including the excel interest as the amount and then put in for the section 69 bit too?????

Totally confused now!

Rayo1973:)

Quick question, do i put in about the section 69 bit even though i have already calculated the interest using the excel template? Also, do i then use the figure including the excel interest as the amount and then put in for the section 69 bit too?????

If you have calculated the 8% interest using Excel this is the "section69 bit". Therefore if you do actually want to claim this interest you need to use the section 69 wording otherwise you cannot claim this interest.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Well Done,

The next bit is as easy as the first.....

You will receive confirmation of your Claim from Northampton Court confirming when the papers are deemed to have been service on Abbey.

Abbey will file an Acknowledgement of Service.

then one of either two things can happen.

a) Abbey will file a defence, in your copy will be a 50% offer (which you refuse) they will then offer you 100%.

b) Abbey will run straight to the 50% Offer (which you refuse) they will then offer you 100%.

Have you got your Particularisation ready to send off to the court and Abbey yet? It is important that you do this as soon as you have your Claim Number.

Good Luck and keep us posted.