• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

URGENT! All A&L account holders please read....

GaryH
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5335 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi -

i'm sending you 2006 T&C , I've scanned them not sure how well they will turn out- if you want a p'copy let me know and I can send it.

Hi -

i'm sending you 2006 T&C , I've scanned them not sure how well they will turn out- if you want a p'copy let me know and I can send it.

Many thanks JK. :)

Keep 'em coming you lot!:-D

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello Everybody,

I am very very disappointed with the way I have been Treated by A&L. My Partner and myself, have been their clients for only 6 months, and they have peeled off us 300£ in unfair charges already. We have stopped using our account, and they still find a way to charge us for one thing or the other. I am always on tears when I have to deal with them, as their customer services advisor even told me on the phone that they don't need us as customers and that if we're unhappy we're free to leave. I find that totally unacceptable. I do not know how to use this forum. I intend to get all my money back before I leave. Please help.

Hello Everybody,

I am very very disappointed with the way I have been Treated by A&L. My Partner and myself, have been their clients for only 6 months, and they have peeled off us 300£ in unfair charges already. We have stopped using our account, and they still find a way to charge us for one thing or the other. I am always on tears when I have to deal with them, as their customer services advisor even told me on the phone that they don't need us as customers and that if we're unhappy we're free to leave. I find that totally unacceptable. I do not know how to use this forum. I intend to get all my money back before I leave. Please help.

Hello,

First of all can I suggest you read all the frequently asked questions. (FAQ's) here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faq.php

Then have a read of some of the threads in the A&L forum. Read as many as you can. This will give you a good idea of what A&L are like to deal with. You will also meet many people that are in a similar situation to you. Don't be afraid to ask questions on some of the threads. Eventually you will be able to start your own thread where you should post as much information as possible about your own case. You will then no doubt receive a lot of help and support!

Another places to have a read is: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/

So basically have a really good look around some of the forums, there are many thousands of posts so it may seem a daunting task. My advice is to just take your time and don't forget, if in any doubt then ask a question!

One last thing, this is one of the biggest pieces of advice given, from now on do not speak to your bank, or any third party company connected to your bank, on the telephone! All communication from now on should be in writing. This way you will have a complete record of what was said to who and when it was said.

There are letter templates to help you in the library here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

Or just ask for help in writing a letter.

I hope this is of some help. It should at least get you started.

Best wishes, Jeff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Do you need T&C's for new accounts from now on?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, new member just joined. Are you still in need of these T&C's? I don't know what I have, if any, but are they dated so I know what I'm sending, if and when I can?

Mike

• 3 months later...

I've just sent on a letter I got last week. I'm not in litigation with them but they seem to be dealing with me as if I am or am about to be. Their letter stated that they will deal with my "complaint" after the current "test case" which might take a year. They say that if I submit a claim they will apply to the court for a stay of hearing until the current test case is heard.

• 4 months later...

Hi There,

it's nice to know we are not alone...

In November I decided to stop using this bank but not closing the account, and forgot I had a DD set up with google, so when the payement came out £4.80 A.L charge me £10. I paid straight away and too quickly as I made the payment( HSBC use a pre-select name of payee) to the credit card instead of debit card. So nothing has been notified to me until the last statement from A.L asking me to pay now £65 fee for the £4.8 O.D.

Should I pay or just send them a polite letter?

thanks for your advise.

We got into a vicious cycle and ended up paying a fortune for going overdrawn a minuscule amount. My experience is that politeness is wasted on these critters. You have to pay and then you can argue the toss to get it back. If you don't pay the debt just goes up and up and you'll get a bad credit rating. It took me three months to close the account because more charges were due to go on each month. Due to an asshole in the call centre I ended up paying too much into a "pending closure" account just to get out of the vicious cycle. They ended up sending me money. Ask them how much they want to get the account closed, be insistent (but polite or they put the phone down on you). Get the names of who you speak to and possibly their supervisor too. N.B. it becomes really difficult to pay money into a "pending closure" account - just a little gag that A&L like to play. When you're finally free on them write and demand your money back on the grounds that these are unreasonable penalty charges. They'll write back and say "get in line" - they'll say that they will deal with your complaint once the "test case" is decided on. They'll say that if you start proceedings they will seek a stay based on this.

This is just my personal opinion based on personal (bitter) experience. I sucessfully won charges back from Barclays and still bank with them. My experience of A&L is that they are not a bank and they don't have bank managers. They have shop assistants on their high st branches who are powerless to assist. Even they have to call the call centre which is 95% populated with arragant assholes

• 1 month later...

A&L aren't part of the test case as you say - so play them back at their own game and file a complaint with FOS - it'll cost A&L for the privilage of their being investigated :D

All you do is the pre lim & LBA letters and ask them for charges back - if you've already written requesting a refund and had their answer "no" I wouldn't bother with writing again - just file the complaint form shown here

FAQs - making a complaint

along with the reply letter and let FOS deal with them and you'll get your refund and interest on it (just use spread sheet in here to work it out) - it'll take a while to get refund cause they are so busy etc.. (but the court route is also taking time) there is less room for these companies to mess around once ombudsman gets to deal with complaint and there is not any threats of costs etc.. as in the court route.

• 1 month later...

Hi all i have asked for my bank charges from alliance and leicester 3-4 weeks ago, they sent me a expendature form to fill in, i filled in the form waited a week, had more charges on the account, rang them up said i wanted the charges refunded as we are in hardship and asked if they have received my letter and they said its just being sorted, well a few days later i had another letter saying they did not receive it as i forgot to send it recorded, so i printed another copy of the letter off with bills ect we have to pay and that my husband is on benefits. I have now recevied a letter this morning saying that they have refunded me £50.00 as a goodwill gesture but they owe me a lot more than this. also says that we have reviewed the circumstances in which these fees were charged and confirm they are in line with our fee stucture. if i go over then they will carry on charging me these fees.

this is a joke i have now emailed the ombudsman to get these fee refuned back to me.

Is there any other letter i could send them. the last letter i sent them was i was in hardship and i want a refund for the charges.

WHAT CAN I DO FROM HERE.

Hi Heidi1974

There is a letter entitled RIGHT OF APPROPRIATION may be in the library on CAG.

There is a process called the "Right of Appropriation" - this allows you to assign funds entering your account to specific events and needs. This is for ANY funds, not just benefits...

Some banks do not understand this process since it is not very often used. You might need to explain it when handing in the letter.

Also, whilst we can try this, there are 2 possible problems;

1) Ideally, you should give the bank 7 days notice. If they are aware, they could disregard the request.

2) They may just disregard it anyway and swallow up the money. You would then have to complain and involve the banking Ombudsman etc and, eventually, get it resolved. This could take a few weeks and would not solve the immediate problem.

Just have a look for it and change to suit your circumstances. There are Acts that cover social security payments. Social Security Administration Act 1992

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...