• Tweets

• Post Office scandal expert Moorhead predicts solicitor strike-offs Richard Moorhead, professor of law and professional ethics at the University of Exeter and a prolific writer on the Horizon scandal, said it was ‘highly likely’ that people would be removed from the profession. He added that he also expects one or two individuals to face criminal prosecutions. He was ‘cautiously supportive’ of the Solicitors Regulation Authority's position of waiting until the public inquiry has finished before taking any decisions on disciplinary proceedings, saying the regulator has been doing a lot of investigatory work behind the scenes. But Moorhead said the SRA should provide ‘greater clarity and detail’ about what it is doing currently.   Professor Richard Moorhead predicts strike-offs over Post Office Horizon scandal | Law Gazette WWW.LAWGAZETTE.CO.UK Lawyers have been 'everywhere' in the scandal, Professor Richard Moorhead tells legal ethics conference.
    • If this goes to court, you'll be asked to declare your earnings. Any fine is a percentage of what you earn per week.  
    • Hi Dx, HB can you share the link of Tireddodo's case thread , may be i can learn something from there?  
    • As i don't have any mitigating circumstances other than trying to save pennies, will they fine me to the maximum? What is the maximum fine they will impose? I honestly don't know how many times i use it.  I will get a criminal record which means i can't find another job? Will they prosecute my partner?   
    • Yes. They won't inform your employer but you may need to. You need to check what it says iin your employment contract. I don't think it usually causes huge problems for most people. HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DMF vs RBS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just thought I'd add my experiences to the pot. I have had a current account with RBS since they took over Williams and Glyns Bank many years ago. In recent years I have suffered from depression, lost my job because of it and had serious money troubles. RBS has often 'bounced' my Direct Debits (often applying charges far in excess of the refused payments) and applied other charges so I decided to look at my statements and see what I could claim back. I found I had statements covering 25 months including £1831 of charges. I therefore skipped the DPA request stage, calculated they had charged me on average £73.24 a month and put in a claim letter for £5273.28 to cover the last 6 years! I gave this letter to my bank, by hand, on 11 May 2007 using a template from the BBC consumer website which gave them 14 days to comply with my request for refund of the monies or proof of the costs incurred by the bank. I was told by the cashier that these matters were handled by someone within the branch. However on the 14th of May I received a letter from Sandy Watt at the Customer Relations Support Unit in Edinburgh thanking(!) me for my letter and that they were considering my claim and would respond ASAP. I intend now to ring RBS to find out if they are taking any action as I have not heard any more and the 14 days has expired. I will be sure to drop into conversation that I have looked on the HMCS web site and found to my satisfaction that as I receive income support I should be exempt from the costs of making a claim in the county court. This might otherwise have been a problem for me as I am surviving on benefits. As RBS long ago stopped sending me debit cards and withdrew my internet and telephone banking facilities and I live 3 hours drive from my branch, checking to see if they have paid anything is a problem unless I wait another few weeks until my monthly statement arrives, which is my main reason for calling them. I don't want to start court action if they have already paid up - I know fat chance but it might have happened.

I would consider that the letter you have sent them is the prelim request for repayment of charges.

You will now need to send them the LBA(Letter before Action) which states that they have 14 days to reply-if they do not then you can issue the court papers via MCOL.

Always stick to the set timetables for these issues and do not be swayed by they banks saying that they need extra time to investigate the points that you have raised with them-they know the rules and will do everything in their power to get around them.

Good luck with the claim.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

In fact my letter was effectively an LBA containing as it did the paragraph:-

"I hereby give you 14 days to refund the bank charges back on to my account. For the avoidance of doubt if this is not done within 14 days, I will commence my claim in the courts without further warning. This action will inevitably involve you in additional costs"

P. S. Rather than ring (and get stuck in a call queing system and have no proof of my call) is there anyone who has an email address for Sally Watt at the RBS Customer Relations Support Unit? I can't seem to find email addresses although there are plenty of snail mail ones posted elsewhere.

Hi Pudding,

I am having similar problems with delays. I used this link yesterday from RBS website to lodge a complaint about lack of action since their "we are considering your claim" letter which I received on 10 Apr. I have since sent LBA end of April, email yesterday and am now preparing N1 and getting the bundle ready for court.

RBS: Partners in your business - The Royal Bank of Scotland

Hope this helps you get a mail to the right place. I put in for the attention of Sandy Watt cut and copied the text and printed the page before and after sending just to keep a record.

Good luck with your claim

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Allo...

This was sent to me by Loophole, so thanks to him if you could find his threads...Just 'tip his scales for him'...

[email protected]

I too am in the same situation, and will be sending an email to her tonight!

Will keep my eye on your threads to see how you get on...

All the Best..

Hi Pudding,

sorry for not giving you a more accurate address for Sandy Watt. Tiggersmum also sent me the better email address this morning. Wishing you every success with your claim. Still if my link gave them one more complaint to deal with so much the better.

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Pudding...Please let me know what reply you get...

Cheers

Just thought id share with you a reply i received today from Sandy...

Mr Clakkers

I note that you have recently written back to our Unit, in response to our

acknowledgement letter of 9 May 2007.

Having checked our database record of your claim, there have been no recent

comments added to it, so I unaware of

the contents of your letter.

Against that background, I can confirm that we will issue our response to

your claim, within the set FSA timescales.

Regards

Sandy

Pudding,

ref post 9. No problem and good luck. If you check my thread you will see how the email got a response and I will post further news as and when the letter does or doesn't arrive (again)!

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from