• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

alanalana vs RBS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Current situation is as follows:

Account in Scottish branch of RBS.

I started account there in 1974 while in RAF.

Now Living in England but have kept the account with the same branch wherever I was in the world.

11 March sent SAR for charges back six years to my branch in Scotland.

Received six years of statements before the end of March but no accompanying letter. Envelope was a bit tatty with holes in it.

30 March sent letter requesting payment of all Charges and interest totalling £810.65. The majority of the charges were from 2001. I deducted all the Royalties from the charges that had been applied to the account.

10 April received two acknowledgements from Sandy Watt Customer Relations Unit (CRU) RBS Edinburgh identical letters pp'd by two different members of staff.

27 April sent LBA to CRU.

No response to this LBA and no further update on the "we are considering your claim" letter.

My dilemma:

I now know that if I claim through the small claims system in Scotland the limit is £750 and I can only claim back 5 years.

I can not use the online system in Scotland.

Is it worth a phone call to the CRU?

Can I claim online to RBS in England? as I now live here, which would allow me Six years back and my full £810.65?

I am currently sitting on two copies of a Form 1 claiming £750 through sheriff court but it may not be valid as I am claiming six years charges.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

alanalana

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hi. I have just won my first claim against RBOS for £902.

I received no reply to my LBA when the deadline 14 days expired so I emailed Sandy Watt to ask what was happening. She replied within an hour to say an offer had been sent out but we had not received it. She reissued the offer letter which arrived the following day.

I know the general consensus is to issue court proceedings with no further communication but it might be worth one email.

Thank you for that tiggersmum. I will get an email away post haste. At least it gives me a record to use if needed. I will also make it sort of pleasant. So as to swing it my way in court!

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

If you're living in England then claim through the English small claims system. It works on where you live - not where the bank is based...... and besides RBS has two headquarters for litigation purposes: one in London and other in Edinburgh.........

In England you can go back as far as 6 years under Limitations Act and claim up to £5,000 in small claims...........

Atlantic, Thank you for that info. I have just sent email complaining about lack of response to their standard "we are currently considering you claim".

If nothing comes of that I will investigate the way to claim online via their london address.

Good luck with your ongoing battle wishing you every success.

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

don't bother sending any more correspondence - either they won't reply or if they do it'll be equally vague. I had exactly the same response.

simply proceed with your stated deadlines and concentrate on filing your N1 form. If you file your N1 form online, via Moneyclaim website, then it does only allow you a certain number of characters (which makes it fairly small), so if you would feel more comfortable with a larger N1 or want to use one of the templates, stored on the various threads here, then it's better to make the trip into the court house - the cost is the same - and as added benefit you might be able to gain from fairly knowledgeable court clerks behind the counter......

from what I've seen RBS has a tendancy of making you go all the way through the system right 'til the end (court date) before settling, but that said and they do seem one of the better ones and less liable to mess with bank account closures and letters threatening the results of the Berwick case for example......

Thankyou again Atlantic.

Are you able to tell me if I can submit a N1 claim in my nearest small claims court to where I live or do I have to submit it to the court in London where the RBS office is located? Looking at your advice it is better to use the online template, fill in the blanks and submit directly to the court in person with the fee asking advice along the way.

I will check out the N1 form template now.

Thanks again

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

you should submit the claim into your own (local) county court - but use the address of RBS in London (thier English litigation headquarters, as opposed to thier Scottish litigation headquarters).

There's a "sticky" with all the relevant addresses at the front of the RBS tab. You'd be welcome to copy (and modify!) any of the LBA letters and N1 form I posted on my thread, Atlantic vs. RBoS. Bear in mind I am claiming for two accounts, so if you are only claiming for one account then modify accordingly........

All the hearings, proceedings etc will also take place in your local county court...... if your claim even comes anywhere near to that stage, as they usually attempt to settle before then. Good luck......

Thank you once again Atlantic.

I have the details of my local county court and have just printed all the template letters from the site should I get the "full and final offer" and "without further conditions" letters sent to me!

I will check your thread and copy some of the LBA and N1 forms for my info. I will probably need that help the way things are not happening.

Thanks for the good luck and power to the people, this is costing me oodles in ink and paper and time,can I claim for that?

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

if it costing you oodles (ink and paper)..... then you have every right to charge them oodles........ but at a much much later stage - when you're actually well inside the court/ legal system then you can apply to court for wasted costs order.

be prepared for a really dismissive, almost arrogant, reply when you submit your first LBA and simply stick to your timescales and you'll almost definately get something half decent out of them......

Thanks again Atlantic.

I have a couple of more questions if someone can advise please.

1 I started the claim using SAR, prelim letter templates and interest calculator on Money Saving Expert site. Can I now start using CAG templates for LBA and final calculations of charges and interests including for the N1 or should I stay on the MSE site?

2. Should I post my response on the thread before despatching to the Bank?

Many thanks for any help

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Latest update is:

preparing all of the paperwork ready to submit N1.

Sent a last chance email to Sandy Watt on 29th May asking where they were in their considerations of my claim (the we are considering your case letter to me was dated 10 April). The email was read at 0815 on 30th May and a reply was sent at 0829 14 minutes later :eek: . just the standard reply as with tiggersmum. "A letter making an offer was sent on 10 April and you appear not to have received it :eek: . A copy of this offer will be sent out in the next few days" or words to that effect.

It seems rather strange that the letters dated the 10 Apr ( I received two - see earlier post) saying my claim was being considered, arrived the same day, but the offer letter was nowhere to be seen. Is this another error sending same letter, twice pp by two different people for Sandy Watt or is it yet another delaying tactic?

I now wait with eager anticipation for the letter making the full offer!!

Any offers on what the letter will say?

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

i'd say it'll read along the lines of "full and final settlement" - but for charges only i.e. no overdraft interest, no s.69 (county court 8%) interest, if you did add this, and certainly no court fees, if you've paid these.......

a lot of people are more than happy to settle on just charges only and as you, yourself, will be much better off than you would have been staying silent about bank charges issue, then it's your call whether to accept or not...... pursuing through the law courts is likely to get you more, but then it does carry more risks and headaches too.....

** SETTLED**

I have had the "full and final" offer which is about 73% of my total claim. As the claim was about £800 I have decided to accept. :) Got all the Penalties and charges :rolleyes: back but without any interest. I think in the light of current rulings and threats for strike outs I may have done the right thing, although many people would probably disagree. Looking at the time consumption on N1 action, etc etc I did not feel it was worth the worry and the headache for £200 in interest on the Penalties..

If my claim had been for a few thousand I may have made a different decision.

Partial success but I am reasonably pleased to get something back.

Good Luck to all who fight on to the finish!!.

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

congratulations alanalana...

i'm glad it all worked out for you........... and I reckon you've got a point about what is happening at the moment with all the treatened strike outs - the risks of strike out are getting high now and I reckon there's more to come.......

• Haha 1

Hi. I have just won my first claim against RBOS for £902.

I received no reply to my LBA when the deadline 14 days expired so I emailed Sandy Watt to ask what was happening. She replied within an hour to say an offer had been sent out but we had not received it. She reissued the offer letter which arrived the following day.

I know the general consensus is to issue court proceedings with no further communication but it might be worth one email.

Can you tell me sandy,s email address please. It does not appear on any letters i have

Hi outofpocketagain,

The email is as follows:

[email protected]

Hope this helps you. :-)

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Thanks Lush, now got thread on HSBC area. :)

Take care

al

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

alanalana........

well done!!............. i have to admit i did actually follow your example with a gentle "prod" email to sandy watt - just to see how far along investigating they were.....

i think i have my big fight cut out for me in the coming months with barclaycard...so given all the extra risks now (Berwick case and the knock-on to that with mass strike outs from judegs like the judge in Hull and talk of the same in London) I just wanted to play safe and bag some cash...... and get my "fight" at a later day, in this case with Barclaycard!!

thank you for keeping your thread updated....as i was really following your idea about the email!!

good luck with HSBC - the biggest bank in the world i'm sure can afford a big payout to all of us lot!! ;)