• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Removal of default notices on credit record?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, having read the article above on how to reclaim your bank and card charges

I was surprised to see that this person thinks its possible to have default notices removed from his credit rating as well! is this possible? is it worth including in my letter to the bank?

quote "The reason why you ask for default notices to be removed is if you defaulted on a charge. It's not fair that your credit record looks bad because of an unfair charge." does this guy have a case?

thanks for reading, rob

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and Welcome

People are getting default notices removed but it depends on the circumstances of how you got the default.Please use the search facility of the site and it is important you read the FAQ's and around peoples threads it will give you a much clearer idea and will answer any questions you have.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Just to add to the above, although this is not an exhaustive reply to the question - if you were defaulted for an amount that was very close to, or less than, the amount of charges that had been imposed by that date, you would have a good case.

In my case, defaulted for around £700 - charges total at that time £2024

So I feel I have a case :D

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

In my case, I refused point blank to even discuss settlement unless it included removal of the default. Important to make the distinction between 'removed' and 'settled'.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I know we'll remove the default if the only balance was charges.

If you didn't pay before the default notice was issued and the balance was your transactions and charges, we wont remove it.

This is because we're bound by our credit licence to report a true and accurate picture of the way you've managed your account. If your balance included your transactions, you're obliged to pay for them. even if you're disputing part of the balance, you still have a part that you're not disputing that you have to pay for and didn't.

I don't know whats happening with those who've gone to court. I can only say what I've been told and that's if any part of the bal was genuine and no payments made the default is correct.

Also there is a hugh difference between settling a default and removing it. If you can't get the default removed because of a genuine balance and definately go for the next best option of gettingit showed as settled.

I think the point of law that we are following is base upon the total level of charges that had already been imposed at the time the default was issued. In such a case, it would be very unlikely that you could show an account that had never been overdrawn without charges, so I don't quite follow your point above, w_fairy.

If an account, for example, had incurred charges totalling very close to the amount it defaulted on, and we accept that the charges are unlawful, then surely it leads to the point of view that had those charges not been imposed, the account would not have defaulted?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, i'll give you an example which might help.

Say your balance was £200 and you paid this in full but it was a few days late so a late payment charge and interest would be added (say £25). This would give you a balance of £25 (because you cleared the previous balance in full).

If you then didn't pay and the account eventuallt defaulted six months later for £150. We'd be able to remove the default because the balance was just charges as the £200 payment had cleared your transactions.

If your balance was £200 and you only paid £10 but paid it late, getting charges. you then refused to pay because of the charge you received, causing more charges and the account eventually defaults for £365. We'd be unable to remove the default because even if all the fees were refundedm you'd still have your original £200 that you've not paid for.

As I said before, i don't deal with those going through court claims. The amounts I deal with, the refunds still don't clear the balance. So I can't tell you what would happen to the default if the refunds cleared the balance.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
I have had my default on my Credit file removed from HSBC (credit card), as they could not supply me with a 'true and signed copy of the original default notice'.

Best regards

Interesting. How much arm twisting did you have to do?

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

No arm twisting, honest.

I used a template that I got off this forum, and hey presto, I recieved a letter from HSBC, stating that 'due to the age of the account, we are unable to provide copy (of) documentation as required. A request has been made today to remove this record from your credit file'.

I checked last week and the default has been removed from Experian & Equifax. The debt was for £1300 (roughly) and not made up of charges.

God honest truth it took 15 days!

If you want a copy of the letter I sent, I will be happy to oblige.

Best regards

David

Wow, well done. This puts you in the category of the elite few! Would you mind zipping me the letter that you used? I'm soon to try to persuade the Mighty Egg to remove a default entry on my file. Not such an easy road ahead, I fear!

I am with the Abbey. When my OH got made redundant and then I got made redundant too (and consequently going to employment tribunal) Abbey threatened to withdraw our Overdraft. On the promise that both our salaries got paid into the bank they would not withdraw the overdraft. However, before our salaries were paid in they wrote to us to tell us that they were taking the overdraft off us. This meant I had no choice but to put my money somewhere else otherwise we could not have eaten! I then made proposals to pay by email - was ignored. I then sent a recorded delivery letter with my proposals - which they ignored. I then telephoned them to be told that they were awaiting the outcome of my court case for reclaiming charges and they would put the account on hold for two weeks. NOW they are threatening to default me in the next week. I have managed to get a stay of execution for a month but this means me trying to find £3,000 by the end of the month - no mean feat. I feel like I am being threatened due to my claim for bank charges.

Could you post a copy of your letter please?

Regards

Jeff

No arm twisting, honest.

I used a template that I got off this forum, and hey presto, I recieved a letter from HSBC, stating that 'due to the age of the account, we are unable to provide copy (of) documentation as required. A request has been made today to remove this record from your credit file'.

I checked last week and the default has been removed from Experian & Equifax. The debt was for £1300 (roughly) and not made up of charges.

God honest truth it took 15 days!

If you want a copy of the letter I sent, I will be happy to oblige.

Best regards

David

Hello, below is a copy of the letter that I sent.

Best regards

20th June 2006

Dear Sir/Madam

Account number – 5434 XXXXXXXXXX

After recently obtaining a copy of my credit file from Equifax I was concerned to note that your company has placed a "Default" notice against an account in my name.

Further to this I have no recollection of ever receiving such a notice, and I therefore require you to substantiate this data at your earliest convenience.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit). Your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 cheque in payment of the statutory fee, Cheque number 100171.

2. You must supply me with a signed true and certified copy of the original default notice

I would request that this data is provided to me within the next 14 days, if you are unable to provide this data then I must insist that it is removed from my files as unsubstantiated.

Yours faithfully

David

Hope this helps.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

here is a link to a website with template letters for removing defaults

Remove Default Notices on a Credit File - We show you how

DPA Halifax Acc 1- 27th June 06

Acknowledement - 14th July 06

Request of payment from me - 21st August 06

Rang them stating paid charge for statements - 21st August o6

Told me they would be sent out next day - 21st August 06

DPA Halifax Acc 2 -29th August 06

DPA Barclays - 29th August 06

DPA Halifax Visa - 29th August06

DPA Halifax Acc 2 - received 30th August 06

DPA Barclays - received 30th August 06

No - the latter usually let you know the consequence of not paying, but an actual Default Notice is the legal requirement to say "it's now been done"

• 5 months later...
I have had my default on my Credit file removed from HSBC (credit card), as they could not supply me with a 'true and signed copy of the original default notice'.

Best regards

This is very encouraging. Just yesterday I sent out copies of the same template letter to HSBC for a credit card and current account. Balances cleared off years ago so with luck I'll get the same response in the same speedy manner. Then I can get a decent mortgage, it's the only negative stuff on my credit file.

• 2 weeks later...
This is very encouraging. Just yesterday I sent out copies of the same template letter to HSBC for a credit card and current account. Balances cleared off years ago so with luck I'll get the same response in the same speedy manner. Then I can get a decent mortgage, it's the only negative stuff on my credit file.

Make sure you correspond with the Group Data Protection Office at Canada Square rather than custome services

I sent mine 2 weeks ago to

Service Quality Team

HSBC Bank

Arlington Business Centre

Millshaw Park Lane

Leeds

LS11 0PP

Asked in the branch and was given this address. didn't see this thread till after I had sent it.

I think a default is marked at 8 and the status history is the number of months you are behind with a payment, the lastest being in brackets. I think this is correct.

Hi Guys!

I have recently claimed my unlawful bank charges and it was successful as i recieved the cheque from Natwest last week.

There is a default still on my credit report is there anyway i can get it off as i have accepted theyr cheque?

Hope so!!!!

Thanks

Saz xXx

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks