• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HELP!!! Link to Australian Default charges report, Nicole Rich

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can someone please post a link that works to Australian Default charges report, Nicole Rich .. the link from the Statement of Evidence page seems to point to a domain registration site and I cannot find it through Google.

Hi,

I am unsure of the australian document but i googled it using this Nicole Rich, “Unfair fees: a report into penalty fees charged by Australian Banks”). There was quite a bit that came up.

Hope it helps

claire

try this one

http://www.consumeraction.org.au/downloads/DL56.pdf

:pI'VE CLAIMED MY BARCLAYS CHARGES BACK.:p

£5125.60

Im no expert everything i write is what i learnt from my own experience and reading through other threads. Click my scales if you wish to!:)

What relevance does this report have on the performance of British Banks? Surely there is no connection? Can anyone tell me? I'm filing against RBOS on Wednesday, and if this is likely to be important perhaps I should be reading/including it.....really would like some input....Ta

Like you I didn't feel this was particularly relevant and went with the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre thing plus BBC News Report on Yorkshire Bank employee and Andrew George's statement plus BBC Documentary "The Money Programme and 2004 interview with Lloyds TSB former head of personal banking Peter McNamara in which he states the charges are used to fund free banking for all personal customers as a whole. Hope this helps

My understanding is that Australian law is very similar to UK law, so a UK court might be persuaded to follow it.

Which Statement of Evidence are you using? The ones listed here all include this as part of the pack. To my mind it does no harm, except it is large. We submit our claim tomorrow so have a little time to review the situation.

I did list my full pack plus the statement of evidence that I used ...it is under "Last Question"...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/93417-last-question.html

OK, let's go back a bit. I reviewed the alternative statements of evidence and chose the Peter Rabbit version as most fitting RBoS. This one has the statement...

- In a recent study undertaken in Australia, (Nicole Rich, “Unfair fees: a report into penalty fees charged by Australian Banks”) it was estimated that the cost to an Australian Bank of a customers direct debit refusal was estimated to be in the region of 54 cents. By reviewing the banks’ charges against the above figure, the study estimated that banks could be charging between 64 to 92 times what it costs them to process a direct debit refusal. The study’s key findings stated that in its opinion the Australian Bank’s cheque and direct debit return charges were likely to be penalties at law.

I didn't want to include this statement without backing it up.

Scentinel, I saw somewhere that you were using the online calculator. Have you checked out the spreadsheet at the following address??? It allows you to change the date to calculate the interest to... saved me a lot of effort!!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

I've just seen the Australian Banking report on charges - this *is* brilliant - especially for when it comes round to bundle preparation.

I know from the transcript of the now famous Berwick case (who lost to Lloyds recently) that Judge Cook in handing down his conclusion said that Mr Berwick's evidence for bank charges being much more than they actually cost the bank was based on speculative and media reports - with no "hard factual reports".

needmorehelp is right - Australian, US and Canadian law is almost identical to English (and Welsh) common law. We all share the same common law underlying legal system - and because this report is an "industry/ regulator" report I'm going to use it in my bundle - as there's nothing like this report that has been produced here in UK.

Atlantic,

My question is which source are people using for their statement of evidence??? I asked the question on another thread but got no reply.

I used Peter Rabbit. It seems to be the best one where RBoS defence is whooly and relies on T&Cs. But if you use it it needs the Australian info....

This is recopied from my "Last Question"...hope it helps someone a bit...

The Court Bundle goes out on Tuesday, but I want to finish it tonight!! Can someone advise which Statement of Evidence they used for RBoS???

I have used Gary H's one as supplied for Re: Peter Rabbit V Barclays...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/

barclays-bcard-woolwich-successes/36692-peter-rabbit-

barclays-success-2.html#post492578

Is this what everyone else is using? I ask as it is one heck of a size after you include the 90 odd pages for the Australian Default Charges Report (Nicole Rich).

Should have added these are the attachments (excluding statements, letters etc)

RBoS Charge Tariffs – March 1993 to January 2007

Student Royalties Terms & Conditions

Miscellaneous Letters from RBoS

Balance of Accounts

Overdraft Limit (includes Terms & Conditions)

Example Referral Charge Letter

Example Referral Charge Letter

Examples of Claims Settled by RBoS

Relevant Case Law Summary

Early Day Motion from the Houses of Parliament

Dunlop versus New Garage

UTCCR 1999

UCTA 1977

SOGA 1982

OFT Statement Summary

BBC Commission Conclusion

Transcript of radio interview with Peter McNamara

Australian Default Charges Report (Nicole Rich)

from what I have read on bundle preparation - the size factor is the logic behind the request to get you to have an Index, which "coordinates" the bundle structure (including all the adjacent reports etc), and puts some sort of order to it.......

The trouble is that the industry reports that we rely on for hard "factual" evidence usually are massive. So 80 or 90 odd pages per industry report is probably about right....... which of course is going to make the bundle a bit of a monster size-wise.

I haven't even started seriously thinking about bundle preparation - beyond wanting to buy Patricia Pearls book and the £10.99 bundle CD thats advertised through this site.

I was focussing more on where people have "gone wrong"...... i.e. to figure out all the places where I would likely slip up - and Judge Cook did mention a lot about Mr Berwick replying on speculative and media evidence as regards bank charges being misrepresentative of costs incurred. I have been surfing through google and couldn't find *any* industry nor regulator reports about charges (nor academic journal articles, as all this stuff is ironically in my field of research now!!)......so I was a little anxious until I saw your Australian report. I think it'll depend on how flexible the judge will be to receiving ideas from a parallel legal system...... but as you say the legal system is same as ours, and the banking industry structure is very similar.... so they're virtually identical.

I know how you feel - it took me a couple of "takes" to resolve my N1. It has been my first time to have any dealings with the legal system and I think my lacking in confidence had as much to do with my having made "silly", minor mistakes in basic things like calculations or wording....

I think until the OFT has made their final ruling, actually being serious and prepared to go to court is the *only* way to get every penny back....... otherwise you just have to take whatever scraps they give you in terms of "settlement"........

Good luck........

Stick with it Atlantic and good luck.

Went to deliver the first bundle today - Mag. Court closed - Queen's b'day!! Doh!

Will deliver it tomorrow. Also filed the next lot of MCOL claims - that's another 3 claims on their merry way! Trouble with having too many kids!

Noticed a couple of questions re the calaculator. Here's a set of spreadsheets on this site that may help.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

thanks a lot needmorehelp..... these could well prove useful...so will wade through at later stage.

I was doing a bit of delving around on internet, mostly through just googling... and have posted a few industry reports in the last entries of my thread (Atlantic vs. RBoS) which is fast becoming a blogspot as am gathering information while sharing it with everyone at same time...

I am thinking along the lines of demonstrating banks "market power" of monopoly position with customers....... and then build my story outwards from there (as in they have economies of scale due to increased technology which have lowered costs internally to the extent that the charges (which happen to have increased anyway over the last couple of years or so) really represent "excess profits". I agree with you - the standard defense of RBS and most of banks being their Terms and Conditions is "wooley". My thinking is once you've proved they've got market power over the consumer, *and* the charges represent excess profit way in excess of costs - then it's fairly simple to slide into the argument a couple of legal cases (I'm not absolutely sure, but something like the Dunlop vs Pneumatic Tyes case) which says a charge must not be a penalty.

I picked up a whole bunch of leaflets from the central london county court - and in there it said something about the differences between Civil Courts (i.e. for all the corporate litigation stuff like we are doing) and Criminal Courts rests with the Criminal Courts relying heavily on ideal of "...proof beyond reasonable doubt" (which means convincing judge over say a decision threshold of say 70%) and the concept of "..sufficient proof" in the Civil Courts (which means *we* just have to "convince" him/her over 50%) in order for the case to be won. I'm thinking along lines of if it is "easier" to convince in the Civil Courts than in the Criminal Courts then if we all start using trade reports and industry/ regulator reports or academic journals in our bundles it should make it easier to clinch a victory, where the only defense the bank has is to fall back on it's Terms and Conditions........ I'm also weary of using media reports - purely because Judge Cook mentioned them a few times in the Berwick transcripts....

I guess the queen should be back at "work" tommorow...... so with their "boss" back in action the courts'll be open again....!! :D

Don't know about "proof beyond a reasonable doubt". My daughter is a criminal defence solicitor - some of her stories make you wonder.

One interesting issue is where this all started. Does anyone have any idea which bank started this, when it was introduced and what was stated at time to justify the charges?

I still have a lot of reading to do.........

but that said I have a feeling it might have been a law student in Plymouth in his final year having two £30 charges coming off his account with Abbey. If I read it right he got one back and when they refused the other he threatened court action, took them to small claims court and won over £800 back (6 years limitation act). He went on to become a lawyer and set up his own website, on similar theme to CAG. I read about it on BBC news, business section. I think he only started his legal action as recently as 2005, and then things snowballed from then....

a daughter working in legal profession could be really useful for you, if for nothing other than a massive confidence boost and invaluable advice. ;)

Sorry Atlantic. I was not clear (a fairly frequent accusation from her indoors). What I meant was - which bank started the charges system? I worked for a large systems integrator and ran into an ex colleague a few months ago. He said that the charges were started by one bank and adopted by the others soon after. He gave me the banks name - but I wont post it until I have checked that I have the right bank. If true, it would be interesting to research that bank and what they stated publicly when they first introduced the charges system.

I see your point ..... and what your getting at. It might be a tricky search though - as when I was just doing a simple google search I came accross a 1968 article detailing bank charges in Scotland.

By complete coincidence all this stuff falls within the broad theoretical area I am researching at the moment (i'm a phd researcher now) and I have a really really good article, if a little long winded, from the world bank. I think I may have pinned down both the immediate theoretical background used in writing the civil law that is used and got a fairly waterproof argument in terms of voiding the banks stadard fallback position on their Terms and Conditions. It is very heavy duty reading and theory orientated but would be happy to pm it to you.

Hi Atlantic. Sent you a private mail re World Bank info. Delivered court bundle today. Felt good! I will co-ordinate the "argument" for court over the next week and will post it here when ready. There's quite a lot of advice on the web now - particularly how to frame your claim to the Judge.

I sent the paper through to you, as well as a link to an internet source of plenty more academic and world bank type papers, so you can browse for yourself, for free....

Now we're all in the legal system together (dozens of threads) and given my relevant area of research anyway - I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for anything else of immediate relevance, and post it up or offer to send it out.

I've just been going through the online JSTOR catalogue (all major law schools like mine (I'm not doing law though!!) have acess to this) ...and already have a few more decent quality US law journal articles specifically looking at Bank Charges. I emptied my email account - so please do pm me again if you want these. Apparantly the US state of California had our problem back in the eighties....... so there's some good quality stuff with interesting conclusions and from law journals too.....