• Tweets

• Just like last time, Evri requested more time so they have another 2 weeks
    • Just an update, finance company rejected my complaint saying they've found damage but can't tell when it's from even though I've shown them how the front end is misaligned in the advert photos compared to another identical model car they're selling.  Dealership now want to charge me to get the car brought back to me but will only discuss over the phone which seems off. They're also saying no damaged was picked up by JLR main dealership before I purchased it but my local JLR dealerships till this day haven't mentioned the damage to me because they don't go into stuff like that for some reason lol  Ombudsman case is still open, not sure if I should leave the car with them or just pay to have it brought back.
    • Hi all, I get esa and pip,  I have £1200 in arrears that I owed my ex partner, I have been paying £100 per month to clear this debt that was setup by standing order, as I have complex needs I forgot about this standing order and have overpaid mainternance by around £4000, I told CSA I am happy for my ex partner to keep overpayment I do not wish to seek anything back, however they have declined to take of the sum of £1200 and are still saying I owe this to my ex partner. In my second question it was announced that pip would stop for mental health, I don't understand the link below Disability benefits system to be reviewed as PM outlines "moral mission" to reform welfare - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK The Prime Minister has outlined a package of sweeping reforms to put work at the heart of welfare and... Does this mean my money is going to stop? I have spoken to my key worker and I am already recieveing help from mental health team and complex needs team along with connections and mind, I just don't get what is going on.
    • No, i haven't had one for about 10+ years. I am thinking of just going to the court in person and pay at the counter
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Laptop issue.

thismonkey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6076 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm having a few issues with PC World and would like some advice on where I stand with a few things.

My girlfriend bought a brand new laptop on credit from PC World in january (dont ask me why...) after about 2 weeks it kept freezing whilst playing music, so she took it back to the store and told them. As the error couldn't be recreated they simply told her to bring it back if it happened again.

All was well and good until about 3 weeks ago, when it froze whilst playing music and then refused to be turned back on.

We took it back to the shop where a guy ran something on the machine (I had already tried safe mode and last known good config) and told us it was a hardware problem. He then gave us a number to call, but told us that the hard drive would have to be wiped.

My girlfriends photography portfolio is stored on the hard-drive and unfortunately is not backed up any where.

What Im wondering is... Can they make her pay to try and recover her data from a machine that is less than 6 months old? Can she simply get a new laptop rather than have to wait for this one to be repaired? Should she have to call customer services to get it sorted rather than the store she bought it from sort it out?

Basically she wants it fixed as soon as possible, but ideally without loosing all her work. Im going into the store with her tomorrow and would like to know where I stand before I end up in one of those heated discussions with a kid who knows less about computers than me.

Many thanks for any pointers.

I don't know how to advise you on the data, I'm afraid, but no, the store should be arranging the repair; get them to ring their own flippin' 'customer services' if she doesn't want the hassle of doing it herself (cheeky beggers). PC World have to be allowed the opportunity to repair the laptop; if it subsequently goes wrong, with the same fault, then your gf would be entitled to a new one. Your gf should not have to pay for anything - if a fault occurs in the first six months after purchase, the fault is taken to be inherent (for your purposes, it's PC World's 'fault'). After those six months, an inspection would be needed to determine if the fault was inherent (for which they are liable) or due to accident/wear and tear (for which they are not).

• Haha 1

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

You can always pay for the data recovery, get the repair done, then claim back the cost of the recovery from Head Office: "Due to your selling me an inherently faulty laptop, which your technical department have confirmed with their repair, I have had to spend XX retrieving data..." :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

I very much doubt data recovery would be covered on this, nor legally would they be obligated to cover it IMO - the simple argument from them would be that it should be backed up. However, data recovery(IF the hard drive is not faulty itself) is very simple and should be cheap. If the hard drive IS faulty, it costs well over £1000 for data recovery.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

sorry black sheep, that isnt possible in this case. laptop drives are of a different size to normal ide caddies. The solution I would recommend is to purchase a ide-usb card. Making sure that one end of it fits a laptop drive. Then using this cable, connect the laptop drive to a n other machine, and then your able to transfer any/all data that is required.

PC worlds charges for data recovery of a laptop drive, would be in the region of £99, provided the drive is spinning, again i know this for a fact. But why waste the £99, when you can do it yourself for around a tenner..

I'm a fully qualified pc technician, and use this cable, on all laptop drives that come in for repair, where there is no other answer.

If i can help any more, please don't hesitate to contact me. :)

If you are an IT technician, you would know that you can get both 3.5 and 2.5 inch caddies...

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

i got a cable off ebay thats usb one end and has connections for both types of ide drive and sata the other end.. it was about £8 delivered

used it loads of times to rescue stuff of peoples its basically plug and play and saves loads of time/money

mr shed, and black sheep, my apologies, you are both correct, you can get the 2½" drive caddies. I was not aware of them, as i do not use, them apart from the cable..

Sorry for any confusion that may or arose with my earlier post.

No problem :)

• 2 months later...

If you purchased the laptop in January and took out the PC performance service agreement, this covered you for Data recovery in store (providing the hard drive is not physically damaged.i.e. not calibrating) The old coverplans did not cover you for data recovery,however since October 2006 all coverplan agreements cover you for free data recovery. Remember this service does not guarantee data recovery.

• 1 month later...

ALL Laptops/PC's booked into Pc world recieve a Service docket which you must sign before they take the product from you. The print near your signature basically reads:

Any data lost whilst in care of us IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

Which is common sense i have all music, photos, films, etc. backed up on 2 massive drives as does most people with half a brain.