Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Debt management companies to AVOID

Hi, I'm thinking of looking into getting a debt management company and wondering if anyone had experiences of companies to avoid? Which companies will hound me on the phone just to get me to sign up and which ones have the worst fees and agreements? I don't want any harrassment from shopping around. Which ones should I avoid giving my contact details? Any advice would be most greatful. Things are really tense at home cos of my debt and I don't want the debt management company adding to the trouble my partner and I are having dealing with this.

thanx x

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Debt management companies to AVOID

don't go with ANY who charge.

CCCS or Payplan are the ONLY ones to consider, they offer a free service.

Default User is banned

User is banned, content is deleted automatically.

dont go with Eurodebt!!!
    they are a rip off!!

Halifax
    Settled in Full
    Cap One
    Settled in Full
    Citi Card
    Settled in Full
    Follows
    Following

Go to National Debtline's website (just Google it) and download their information pack, or give them a ring. It's brilliant and it's FREE! They can advise you about debt management plans that don't cost you a percentage!

Baines and Ernst were charging me over 80 a month for 2 years thats 1920 which could have gone to paying off my creditors. until i wised up and went with CCCS who dont charge for the same service...

CITIFINANCIAL
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...e-find-my.html
    ###WON###

## natsy westy result 250
    ## Halifax overdraft settled ##
    ## Halifax loan settled ##
    ## chatham settled ##
    ## paragon suite closed##
    Follows
    Following

As said above do not go with anyone who charges - Payplan and CCCS do not charge.

Are you sure that a DMP is the right thing for you.

Have a read here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ling-debt.html

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.
    Follows
    Following

That's brilliant. Thank you all so much for your help. Will have a look at CCCS and Payplan! I feel like I'm at the foot of the mountain!

Don't worry, be happy
    Follows
    Following

lots of help here to get you over the mountain.

it might be worth giving one of the debt help charities a call too.

CCCS: 0800 138 1111
    National Debtline: 0808 808 4000

both free calls

Just to confirm - there are free services like CCCS which creditors immediately respect.

Whatever you do, DON'T pay for it

Hi helenram

Any progress with debt management companies recommended?

We need your experiences on the thread.

Hope it's been good news for you.

Regards

Van

Quote Originally Posted by WormHasTurned View Post
    Whatever you do, DON'T pay for it
    My dad told me that years ago when I was in my teens.
    He also said "If you're not in bed by 10PM, you might as well come home".

Sorry. It's been a funny day........

He also said "If you're not in bed by 10PM, you might as well come home".
    I think I know your Dad lol

Thumbs down Re: Debt management companies to AVOID

my dad has a debt management account. a place called GREGORY PENNINGTON. they charge him over 25.00 a month. they ask him occasionally to increase his payments to get his bills of quicker. but i noticed everytime he did (as he wants them paid of) the money for gregory penningtons fee goes up to.

Quote Originally Posted by conradsfate View Post
    my dad has a debt management account. a place called GREGORY PENNINGTON. they charge him over 25.00 a month. they ask him occasionally to increase his payments to get his bills of quicker. but i noticed everytime he did (as he wants them paid of) the money for gregory penningtons fee goes up to.
    Your Dad isn't legally tied to this agreement with GP. He can end it at any time in writing & switch to one of the free servcies ( like CCCS or PayPlan ). Just in case he wasn't aware...

[quoteYour Dad isn't legally tied to this agreement with GP. He can end it at any time in writing & switch to one of the free servcies ( like CCCS or PayPlan ). Just in case he wasn't aware...[/quote]

thankyou, ill get him to do this right away. he did not know you could get this service for free.

Hi, so you don't think that *any* debt management programme where the customer pays a fee would be beneficial? Would commercial DMP companies be any better than the CCCS or Payplan at freezing interest to creditors and getting them to accept a reduced pro rata payment ased on affordability?

Quote Originally Posted by Poor-Credit Borrower View Post
    Hi, so you don't think that *any* debt management programme where the customer pays a fee would be beneficial? Would commercial DMP companies be any better than the CCCS or Payplan at freezing interest to creditors and getting them to accept a reduced pro rata payment ased on affordability?
    It is pointless paying money for something that you can get for free, when this money could go o your creditors. Both paying and non-paying companies have an equal chance of freezing interest.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo111 View Post
    Both paying and non-paying companies have an equal chance of freezing interest.
    I don't beleive this to be true. Many lenders have expressed that they are more willing to accept payments if they come via the one of the free providers, especially since a lot of the time these lenders may be part-funding the free provider that you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by sequenci View Post
    I don't beleive this to be true. Many lenders have expressed that they are more willing to accept payments if they come via the one of the free providers, especially since a lot of the time these lenders may be part-funding the free provider that you choose.
    That is completely true!

Advice from lenders is always to go with a free service provider Payplan, CCCS.

Like most people have been saying on here, any money paid out in fees to a company is money that could be going straight towards the debt itself. these companies who charge to help you pay your debts are exploitative & prey on vunerable people. They make me so mad!

Gregory Pennington & Eurodebt are well known for being awful companies. They will keep increasing their fees so that you are fooled into thinking that you are paying off your debt but in fact the majority of the money you pay out goes to them & your debt never really gets any smaller!

& like I said already, most lenders are reluctant to deal with these companies as they are very unhelpful & will always advise you drop them & go to a free provider. These companies that charge will advise you to not speak to the lenders regarding your account as they know that the lenders will tell you to get rid of them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details