• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Aqualibrium V Nationwide ** WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5559 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So, here I am. I have just joined the forum and already have received advice quickly and relative to what I asked, which is always helpful!

I have been with Nationwide since July 2004 and to date they have taken 1,601 pounds from me in 'Unpaid direct debit fees' and 'Unauthorised overdraft fees'.

Last week 120 pounds was taken from my account. I had booked a holiday off work this weekend and that money was my 'pocket money' so to speak. i will now be unable to actually DO anything with my time off. I was ranting a bit about this to my grampa and it was him who informed me about people chasing up their banks, to refund the charges AND actually successfully getting the money back. So, I thought I would google it and see what came up. I had no idea so many people had been pursuing their banks and gaining results. I thought it was worth a shot.

I am right at the beginning of this journey, having just made up my schedule of charges and letter N.o 1 requesting the refund of the charges, which I will be sending later today. I understand that usually this letter is ignored, so fingers crossed. I won't give up at the first hurdle and it's inspiring to see so many people pushing to recitify these charges.

Good luck to everyone else and thanks to the powers that be for all the help on this forum, it is an invaluable source.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi aqua and welcome to CAG

Please be sure to study all the bckground info carefully, so you do not make any mistakes in your claim.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

At the forum for Nationwide you will find lots of other treads for people like myself who are claiming their money back from them. There are also detals of the successful claims.

If you still have any questions, post them here on your thread so someone can respond. Alternately, you can go to the chatroom at any time to ask quick questions or just to meet other people claiming.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

Varangian

Hi Varangian,

Thanks for the lovely welcome, everyone seems so supportive!

So, I am taking your advice and the advice of the member who replied to my first enquiry and ABSORBING the FAQ. I have also had a good read at the pending and successful cases regarding Nationwide. I think I will also take a swatch at the threads about other banks, and a look at my next stage. I wont act on it though until the 14 days are up. I dont think its a bad idea to get a feel for the next step though. One cannot have a big enough picture eh?

Thankfully, I am a patient person, there should maybe be a neon sign somewhere saying that patience is imperative, from what I have gathered so far, these things can and do take some time.

So anyway, thanks a lot for your helpful reply and I'll keep the thread updated for those who happen upon it.

Okay, I have a question.

Whilst wading through all the fabulous info in this forum, I have noticed that Nationwide having been closing everyone's accounts as a retaliation. Now I can see that as retaliation if someone has an outstanding debt on their account, like an overdraft, which would be immediately payable uopn the accounts closure.

Now, I don't have any credit facilities on my account or any outstanding debt, so from where I can see, it wouldn't benefit them, financially to actually close my account. Think I will get a slap-on-the-wrist-behave-from-now-on letter?

Just incase they do it anyway, I have applied for a 'parachute account', I am just waiting for the paperwork to come through to be signed.

aqua

A few months ago it was standard practice by Nationwide to close accounts with 30 days notice as soon as you succeeded in getting your money back from them. The 'leading mutual, member-serving society' was actually worse than the other banks.:D

However, this seemed to change about March, when there were a flood of complaints to the Ombudsman about this. I believe that in the case of All&Leic, people were actually awarded compensation of £200 for this as well.

The trick clearly backfired big time, and failed to stop people reclaiming. For the last 6 weeks or so, the standard practice seems to be to send a nasty letter saying that you have failed to abide to the terms and conditions, and they will expect that if you keep the account you will do, or you could consider going elsewhere....blah blah

I haven't heard that they've closed an account just on the grounds of reclaiming for some time. However, all the banks are getting increasingly desperate to frighten people of reclaiming their money, so you must be prepared for the chance that they might close it. They are still closing overdraft facilities, so for people like me, with a high OD, expect to have to pay this off with the reclaim and then lose it.:roll:

Keep an eye on the active Nationwide claims, because these will tell you in advance what to expect. If you ever need quick advice or want to talk the possibilities over, go to the chatroom.

good luck:)

Varangian

• Haha 1

(Posted in reply to your post to me on my thread thought I'd copy here incase you don't look there lol)

Hi Aqualibrium,

good luck with your claim too. Will be good to see how we both get on in the timetable of things. Wasn't sure about the recorded delivery glad it was recommended though I guess it's good to keep check on when it was sent & delivered that way Nationwide can't say they didn't get prelim letter (not that they'll pay much attention to it ). Only thing is will have to print another one off my hubby say letter lying on unit this morning when I was away to work & has posted it normal delivery lol. Men when you want them to do something they don't and when you don't they do :grin:

Take care Princesswawa Xxx

Thank you for replying Varangian, I 'll keep an eye on what's going on here.

Princesswawa, I too wasn't sure about the recorded delivery, but it seems to be the safest option, so they can't dodge whether they have received it or not, to buy time. Thanks for replying.

I have a little question, for any passing experienced person.

Before I joined The Consumer Action Group bank charges forum, I had already taken advice from another site and sent their template letter to my local branch.

I have been advised just to begin the process using the templates and guidelines from here.

What I am worried about is that the time limit on the template I have already sent, from other the site, differs to the time limit on the prelim letter I have ready to go, from this site. The one I have already sent, requests settlement within 7 days, whereas, as you will know, the prelim letter from here states 14 days.

I would like to know if anyone thinks that this conflict in time limits may go against my claim and if I should note at the bottom of the letter I will be sending today, to disregard the previous letter?

Also, if a note to disregard the previous letter should be necessary, do I have to give a reason, or just keep it simply "Please disregard my previous request for payment, sent to your xxxxxxx branch, a 14 day time limit begins upon your receipt of this letter."?

It just looks a tad incompetant and I am unsure if this will be a problem or not.

Any help is most appreciated.

HA! I don't know if anyone believes in Astrology, but I get predictions emailed to me every day, more for fun than anything else and here is today's:

"

Look at the ground rules before you decide to make a change. Authority figures, government rules and regulations that could affect your income must be carefully considered. A change may leave you in the lurch if you aren't prepared for it. "

EEK! So I will wait for a reply I think, to my previous post, before I head off to the post office, call me superstitious, call me para, Call me WORRIED.

:-o A little.

...call me superstitious, call me para, Call me WORRIED.

Hi superstitious-para-WORRIED!...lol...:p

...I don't know if anyone believes in Astrology, but I get predictions emailed to me every day, more for fun than anything else
I too believe in 'Astrology'...try these predictions...

1/ We have approx 4.5billion yrs to find somewhere else to live before the Sun engulfs the Earth as it develops into a Red Giant.

2/ U will get back ALL your unlawfully debited Penalty Charges from the Nationwide...eventually!

Am not sure which of the above predictions will come sooner.

Perhaps it's best to leave the Nationwide a forwarding address???

...Claims are soooo subjective!...lol...:D

In reply to #8...

Perhaps U could just wait until 14 days AFTER sending your original '7 days' Preliminary Letter, before U then send your LBA???

Best of Luck!...:)

That could be a plan.

I have just realised another slight error on my part, the amount I claimed in the first letter differs slightly from the amount I got from the charges spreadsheet.

I also didnt send a list of charges with my first letter... I dont know, I think I made a boo-boo

Okay, I think I will start again from today. Mainly because they dont have a schedule of charges from me and if I send the charges alone, they won't match the figure on my first letter.

So it maybe makes sense to send the new letter from here, plus the list with accurate charges, that matches the letter and take it from there?

Hi again water table!...lol...:)

That could be a plan.

I have just realised another slight error on my part, the amount I claimed in the first letter differs slightly from the amount I got from the charges spreadsheet.

I also didnt send a list of charges with my first letter... I dont know, I think I made a boo-boo

Mmmmm...an old adage comes to mind...

"TWICE measured...ONCE cut"!!

At least U have realised at an early stage that mistakes are easily done and hopefully learn that MORE HASTE = LESS SPEED?!

Read through the advice given in #4 of the following thread and disregard your previous PL to Nationwide...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/70325-im-new-confused-please.html?highlight=Claire500

• Haha 1

Haha Water table?? I am assuming this is something to do with my name.

Anyway Milk tray, CORRECT prelim letter is off, recorded with the schedule.

Thanks for all your help, I have no doubt I am one of many who make silly mistakes, thank you for your patience.

I think the confusion came from the fact that I began following guidelines from another site, before I came across this one, whose methods differ and I may add, this site has much more info and support than the other. If only I had dropped in here first!

So, I now have just over 14 days tomake sure I don't make another mistake. I think I may be getting an idea, but I will continue to absorb. Thankfully I enjoy learning.

Cheers for the link and quick advice!

Hi folks,

I have just read this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/36790-bank-taking-your-benefits.html?highlight=is+the+bank+taking+your+benefits

All the money that goes into my bank account is Tax Credits, Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit, as I am paid from my part-time job in cash.

On several occasions I have been in debt to my sons nursery, as part of my tax Credit money has the Childcare element included to help pay the nursery fees and of course Nationwide have been taking their charges from this money, leaving me unable to pay the nursery frequently, which in turn just causes a larger payment to build up in the weeks my money is untouched by charges. I am also a single mother, so this money plus my part-time NMW wages is my only income for myself and my son. Vicious circle springs to mind.

So I am wondering if I should be claiming via an alternative route than the above, outlined in my previous posts? Or is there a legislation to protect this money that I should send to the bank?

Advice is appreciated.

Hi "Symmetrical-Geyser"!...lol...:)

Appropriation is indeed a valid route to take.

However it can be fraught with difficulties and uncertainty, mainly cos Bank Staff are often ignorant of its existance!

A much more simpler way is for U to open another 'parachute' current account elsewhere and have your Benefits paid into that.

Any further debits that Nationwide choose to do against your current Flexaccount won't then eat into your Benefits.

These debits will be wiped out when Nationwide eventually refunds U the unlawful Charges etc, after U have Claimed against them.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/13832-do-you-need-parachute.html

FWIW...If U are Claiming Benefits, when U come to File your Claim @ Court, U are advised to use N1 rather than MCOL cos of the up front money saving costs.

Hi "Symmetrical-Geyser"!...lol...:)

You are tempting me to change my name haha

Anyway, I have already applied for a para account (no pun intended), just waiting for the paperwork. Which, I may add, was a little tricky considering my credit rating isnt too hot, but I managed to get a basic account, which is all I need or want anyway.

Thanks for the pointer Milktrayman.

Okies. A mini update. Not very exciting, but any progress is progress.

Checked out my prelim recorded delivery with the Royal Mail tracker service and the item was delivered from their office on the 9 May.

I've to check back in 24 hrs for the electronic proof of delivery.

So do I take the 14 days from the 9 May?

I'm not sure if this is just the date it left to GO to Nationwide or if it is the date they received it....

Royal Mail says:

"DELIVERED

Your item with reference XXXXXXXXXXXXX was delivered from our DORCAN Delivery Office on 09/05/07 .

Thank you for using this service. "

'Delivered from their office' means the clock is ticking from that day.

Print and file a copy as proof in case you ever need this. The electronic proof contains a scan of the signature, but this facility seems often to not work.

You must allow at least 14 calendar days now to give reasonable time, or you can be accused of not doing so.

Varangian

Hi folks,

I have been reading up on interest and I am wondering, what is the difference between 'contractual interest' and the 8% claimed at the N1 form to court stage and which is the best route to take?

From what I gather, I won't be able to claim the contractual interest as this has to be done at the preliminary letter stage?

Aqua

It sounds as if you are getting confused here between the different types of interest.

The one you mention with the letters before court action is Overdraft Interest, because the charges may have sometimes given you an OD that would otherwise not have happened. This is generally a small amount.

At court stage, you add on 8% interest in the spreadsheets, which applies to every unlawful charge, for every day since it was taken. This is known as Standard Interest, and is the figure that the court will allow you if they uphold your claim for repayment of the unlawful charges.

Contractual Interest is where you claim interest at a higher rate than 8%, because their rate would have been higher had they been charging you interest. This is the case with credit cards, for example, but normally people only claim the 8% with bank accounts. CI is harder to establish the correct rate and harder to frame the case, whereas the 8% is acceptable to the courts anyway.

I hope this helps.

Varangian

Hi Varangian,

Okay, so I just fill out the spreadsheets for the 8% when I am at the filing at court stage then? I'm not there yet as you know, but I would like to get calculations out of the way asap, I can't stand working with numbers, so I thought I should do it while everything else is ticking along smoothly, you never know what might happen! I'm an Aquarian, ANYTHING can happen to us haha

Thanks for your help, you've been a great support.

The complex bank spreadsheet automatically calculates the 8% for you. You just tap in the chatge details.

The middle sheet gives you the charges + OD interest and the third sheets adds on the 8%

Shout if you need help!

V