Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : May 2006

Default BoS Responding as Halifax/Leeds - English Court Option?

Since all my responses from BoS (accounts held in Scottish Borders and originated with BoS) have come from Trinity House in Leeds, can 'serve an action from a court close to them' (i.e. England)? I'm in the Borders. I am going to ask the question of an English court, but I wondered if any lawyers/legally-astute people had any opinions.

It would be very helpful to me if I could, and I can cross the Border to an English court in 1/2 hour

Similar Threads:
    Bank of Scotland - 4000+ returned. Scottish resident, scottish accounts, but it's Halifax Bank of Scotland now, so took 'em to court in Halifax. One small claims, one defence filed, one refund of all charges + interest! Done and dusted.
    Next - Capital One
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Default Re: BoS Responding as Halifax/Leeds - English Court Option?

Right, thanks for input everyone.

HBoS don't make it easy to figure out what the Leeds /real/ address is - only post boxes - with two major sites there, I've decided to go for the silly move if you have any thoughts of "old boy's networks" and the courts

Yep. Leeds court said "No problem", but for head office, I have to use halifaxicon county courticon. They also said "No problem", so:

Claim for 3,270 + interest (just under 4000) plus costs (120) sent to Halifax County Court, registered post.

If it works, then I have used the English small claimsicon procedure, saved a lot of time, and will have more than I would have settled for had they been willing to negotiate sensibly. The only problem I can see is that this is on their doorstep - I wonder if that might make them more likely to defend? Worst case I lose my 120, or additional costs too?

Bank of Scotland - 4000+ returned. Scottish resident, scottish accounts, but it's Halifax Bank of Scotland now, so took 'em to court in Halifax. One small claims, one defence filed, one refund of all charges + interest! Done and dusted.
    Next - Capital One
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Default Re: BoS Responding as Halifax/Leeds - English Court Option?

And again, I really appreciate all the feedback and help I've had with my posts.

You'll no doubt be delighted to hear that taking HBOS to court in halifaxicon, when resident in Scotland, for accounts started with Bank Of Scotland, worked perfectly - I was refunded 3,270+699.pennies+120 - just over 4,000.

They did indeed play silly buggers with me - I had an account with 5,000 or so owing on it being handled by Blair Olivericon & Scott; fortunately, I called Blair Olivericon & Scott, and they set up an early repayment settlement figure, which was 3,640 or so. The person I spoke to suggested I may get the extra back since HBOS gave me no choice about the matter; either way, I don't owe them ANY money now - and BO&S should restore my credit file.

No need to faff around with multiple claims in Scotland.

Next - Capital One
    Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details