• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Period of Limitation for reclaiming Bank of Scotland

orka
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anybody clarify whether the five year limitation referred to applies to the length of time for which you can claim, or just to the period for which you can request statement information.

I am going through the process to obtain details of charges from the Bank of Scotland, but I have just uncovered older bank details pre 2001 which include about £1000 in charges. I'd hate to miss out on this.

Also: is it more effective to ask the bank for the whole lot in the first instance and then divide into £750 blocks or to go for £750 at a time in the first instance?

It's 6 years and it applies to both I think.

Not sure but I think with Scottish claims, people are splitting into chunks of £750 a piece. - check that though....

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

the period of limitation is different up here to....you can only go back 5 years

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU IN REPLYING TO YOUR POST, CAN YOU CLICK ON THE SCALES AND LET ME KNOW

Halifax - Total £2116 - Plus approx £300 in interest plus fees for 3 small claims...settled all within 3 weeks of claim.....Now for the mortgage.....

Clydesdale Bank - Credit Card - Sent Data Protection Act - Awaiting statements

Clydesdale Bank - Current Account - Awaiting statements

Ok but I would imagine it would go from the start of you asking for money back, ie preliminary letter

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

the period of limitation is different up here to....you can only go back 5 years

Hi Scotia,

Can you tell us (I am helping my daughter get her money back) if the bank has waved the charge for 6 years of back statements as a good will gesture although it has not sent back the £10 cheque included, but says that the costs of providing the information regarding the manual interventions is disproportionate to the effort? Help.

Can we claim for the 6 years or must it only be for 5?

The total is in the region of £1200 can we as one of the other site users has done and asked for it all back in one go rather than wasting the bank and the courts precious time????

When we make our claim should the grand total be no more than the £750 or £750 + 8% + court fees???

Sorry to go on so much about this but I work away from home which makes it a little difficult to keep things moving?

Any other usfull pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ray Duffy :confused:

Raymo

In for a penny in for a pound

but says that the costs of providing the information regarding the manual interventions is disproportionate to the effort?

You have received a reply regarding manual intervention.....it may not be what you want, but they have answered it, and as such i would be suprised if they could use this in court now. If they did, then you could argue that if they had the information to hand, why didn't they provide it under the DPA.

Can we claim for the 6 years or must it only be for 5?

As far as i am aware the period of limitation is 5 years in Scotland....i tried for 6 years...but the clerk at the court told me to alter it to 5 years......so it may be worth a try for 6

The total is in the region of £1200 can we as one of the other site users has done and asked for it all back in one go rather than wasting the bank and the courts precious time????

You can go for a 'summary cause'....but rules are different for small claims track...including being liable for other parties costs if you lose (think it may be limited to £500 but not sure)

When we make our claim should the grand total be no more than the £750 or £750 + 8% + court fees???

The £750 limit is for claim only....ie max £750 claim, plus 8% interest plus £39 fee...my 2nd claim is for a total of £869

Sorry to go on so much about this but I work away from home which makes it a little difficult to keep things moving?

Any other usfull pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ray Duffy :confused:

No probs m8, if you need any other help let me know

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU IN REPLYING TO YOUR POST, CAN YOU CLICK ON THE SCALES AND LET ME KNOW

Halifax - Total £2116 - Plus approx £300 in interest plus fees for 3 small claims...settled all within 3 weeks of claim.....Now for the mortgage.....

Clydesdale Bank - Credit Card - Sent Data Protection Act - Awaiting statements

Clydesdale Bank - Current Account - Awaiting statements

A couple of things to clarify on this.

Firstly, there is a question regarding limitations, in that there is a clause (discussed in Legalities) that states the limitation does not apply where there has been "concealment" or "mistake".

The argument runs that the banks have either diliberately concealed the fact that their charges are unlawful - or, if it wasn't deliberate, that a mistake has been made and these charges should not have been levied.

Secondly, it is worth noting that issuing separate claims could be seen as abuse of the legal process - although I am unaware at this stage that this has been used.

Of course, if you sue for the full amount, the charges issue would only apply if the bank went into court, and won. In any respect, claims under £15,000 carry very limited costs - £500 for claims below £10k, £750 for claims below £15k. I am sure it is the same for Scotland on this issue - but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

You have received a reply regarding manual intervention.....it may not be what you want, but they have answered it, and as such i would be suprised if they could use this in court now. If they did, then you could argue that if they had the information to hand, why didn't they provide it under the DPA.

As far as i am aware the period of limitation is 5 years in Scotland....i tried for 6 years...but the clerk at the court told me to alter it to 5 years......so it may be worth a try for 6

You can go for a 'summary cause'....but rules are different for small claims track...including being liable for other parties costs if you lose (think it may be limited to £500 but not sure)

The £750 limit is for claim only....ie max £750 claim, plus 8% interest plus £39 fee...my 2nd claim is for a total of £869

No probs m8, if you need any other help let me know

Its me again!

Do I send the letter (Prelim) to the Bank that the account is in or to the Head Office?? (the original letter was sent to the local branch), then do I wait the 14 days and if no action follow up with LBA? :confused:

Just want to get it right first time so at least it looks like we know what we are doing.

Raymo

In for a penny in for a pound

My first claim, which is partially settled (8% interest has not been paid) was for charges in 2000 -2004. nowhere along the way has it been queried by anyone, bank manager, customer service, sheriff clerk.

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks