Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2006

Default Period of Limitation for reclaiming Bank of Scotland

Can anybody clarify whether the five year limitation referred to applies to the length of time for which you can claim, or just to the period for which you can request statement information.

I am going through the process to obtain details of charges from the Bank of Scotland, but I have just uncovered older bank details pre 2001 which include about 1000 in charges. I'd hate to miss out on this.

Also: is it more effective to ask the bank for the whole lot in the first instance and then divide into 750 blocks or to go for 750 at a time in the first instance?

Similar Threads:

Basic Account Holder

Default Re: Period of Limitation

It's 6 yearsicon and it applies to both I think.

Not sure but I think with Scottish claims, people are splitting into chunks of 750 a piece. - check that though....

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter
    09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4
    22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6
    17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

the period of limitation is different up here to....you can only go back 5 years

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU IN REPLYING TO YOUR POST, CAN YOU CLICK ON THE SCALES AND LET ME KNOW

Halifax
    - Total 2116 - Plus approx 300 in interest plus fees for 3 small claims...settled all within 3 weeks of claim.....Now for the mortgage.....
    Clydesdale Bank - Credit Card - Sent Data Protection Act - Awaiting statements
    Clydesdale Bank - Current Account - Awaiting statements

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Ok but I would imagine it would go from the start of you asking for money back, ie preliminary letter

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter
    09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4
    22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6
    17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Cagger since : Apr 2006

Quote Originally Posted by scotia
    the period of limitation is different up here to....you can only go back 5 years
    Hi Scotia,
    Can you tell us (I am helping my daughter get her money back) if the bank has waved the charge for 6 yearsicon of back statements as a good will gesture although it has not sent back the 10 cheque included, but says that the costs of providing the information regarding the manual interventions is disproportionate to the effort? Help.

Can we claim for the 6 years or must it only be for 5?

The total is in the region of 1200 can we as one of the other site users has done and asked for it all back in one go rather than wasting the bank and the courts precious time????

When we make our claim should the grand total be no more than the 750 or 750 + 8% + court fees???

Sorry to go on so much about this but I work away from home which makes it a little difficult to keep things moving?
    Any other usfull pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ray Duffy

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by raymo
    but says that the costs of providing the information regarding the manual interventions is disproportionate to the effort?
    You have received a reply regarding manual intervention.....it may not be what you want, but they have answered it, and as such i would be suprised if they could use this in court now. If they did, then you could argue that if they had the information to hand, why didn't they provide it under the DPA.

Can we claim for the 6 yearsicon or must it only be for 5?
    As far as i am aware the period of limitation is 5 years in Scotland....i tried for 6 years...but the clerk at the court told me to alter it to 5 years......so it may be worth a try for 6

The total is in the region of 1200 can we as one of the other site users has done and asked for it all back in one go rather than wasting the bank and the courts precious time????
    You can go for a 'summary cause'....but rules are different for small claimsicon track...including being liable for other parties costs if you lose (think it may be limited to 500 but not sure)

When we make our claim should the grand total be no more than the 750 or 750 + 8% + court fees???
    The 750 limit is for claim only....ie max 750 claim, plus 8% interest plus 39 fee...my 2nd claim is for a total of 869

Sorry to go on so much about this but I work away from home which makes it a little difficult to keep things moving?
    Any other usfull pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ray Duffy
    No probs m8, if you need any other help let me know

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU IN REPLYING TO YOUR POST, CAN YOU CLICK ON THE SCALES AND LET ME KNOW

Halifax
    - Total 2116 - Plus approx 300 in interest plus fees for 3 small claims...settled all within 3 weeks of claim.....Now for the mortgage.....
    Clydesdale Bank - Credit Card - Sent Data Protection Act - Awaiting statements
    Clydesdale Bank - Current Account - Awaiting statements

Follows
    Following

A couple of things to clarify on this.

Firstly, there is a question regarding limitations, in that there is a clause (discussed in Legalities) that states the limitation does not apply where there has been "concealment" or "mistake".

The argument runs that the banks have either diliberately concealed the fact that their charges are unlawful - or, if it wasn't deliberate, that a mistake has been made and these charges should not have been levied.

Secondly, it is worth noting that issuing separate claims could be seen as abuse of the legal process - although I am unaware at this stage that this has been used.

Of course, if you sue for the full amount, the charges issue would only apply if the bank went into court, and won. In any respect, claims under 15,000 carry very limited costs - 500 for claims below 10k, 750 for claims below 15k. I am sure it is the same for Scotland on this issue - but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

_________________________ _______

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Cagger since : Apr 2006

Question Re: Period of Limitation

Quote Originally Posted by scotia
    You have received a reply regarding manual intervention.....it may not be what you want, but they have answered it, and as such i would be suprised if they could use this in court now. If they did, then you could argue that if they had the information to hand, why didn't they provide it under the DPA.

As far as i am aware the period of limitation is 5 years in Scotland....i tried for 6 yearsicon...but the clerk at the court told me to alter it to 5 years......so it may be worth a try for 6

You can go for a 'summary cause'....but rules are different for small claimsicon track...including being liable for other parties costs if you lose (think it may be limited to 500 but not sure)

The 750 limit is for claim only....ie max 750 claim, plus 8% interest plus 39 fee...my 2nd claim is for a total of 869

No probs m8, if you need any other help let me know

Its me again!

Do I send the letter (Prelim) to the Bank that the account is in or to the Head Office?? (the original letter was sent to the local branch), then do I wait the 14 days and if no action follow up with lbaicon?

Just want to get it right first time so at least it looks like we know what we are doing.

Basic Account Holder

My first claim, which is partially settled (8% interest has not been paid) was for charges in 2000 -2004. nowhere along the way has it been queried by anyone, bank manager, customer service, sheriff clerk.

Bank of Scotland round 1: 740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr
    Bank of Scotland round 2: 629 +101.15 interest +39 costs settled.
    Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details