• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Kotum45 v Natwest **ANOTHER WON**

kotum45
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just seen the five news which encouraged me to do a research and I found this site. However before I found this site I wrote an e-mail to Natwest regarding the charges going back only 3 months and I demanded them to be refunded. Also I only asked for £38 and £35 charges (2 £35 and 3 £38) which total £184. I think the other charges are for OD interest. Did I ruin it before I even started by asking for the past 3 months as I am scared it will look like I have accepted the previous charges.

Also I called the customer services and asked for all my statements in the past 6 years, they said "I need to call in the morning before I put the phone down the guy said " oh can you please wait as a customer manager wants to speak to you, it is just a quick review of your account" I said "tell him to call tomorrow" and put the phone down as I thought they might have guessed that I was about to start claiming charges.

Am I being paranoid???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that they have guessed.

Don't worry.

Start again. Send the DPA letter in the library.

Calculate your charges

preliminary letter - 14 days

Letter before action 14 days

Send the Good News

No

The initial email is irrelevent

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

I have one more question..

I am supposed to claiming only OD and DD charges right? I can't claim for charges for gold account or interest?

Also let's say by mistake I claim charges I shouldn't, wouldn't that make my case void.

This is my final silly question, I promise

Read the FAQs and the forum material and you will understand the principles upon which you are claiming.

Don't forget that you could end up in court and you had better understand what you are doing

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX

I have copied the above sentence from the preliminary approach letter. I am confused about the "plus XXX" part. How do I calculate this? Is this the 8% statutory interest or is it different?

I am about to send the letter just making the last touches, could anyone please answer if you know the answer to my question.

Thanks

ok, here goes.

The 8% part is only once you issue court claim, so don't worry about it just now.

The "+ xxx interest" part is for people who want to reclaim the additional interest that was levied on the charges, on the unauthorised o/draft, etc...

I personally think it's easier not to bother, just claim the charges, keep it simple. Also, it means that if the bank use the "we should be entitled to get something", the answer is "you are, you're getting to keep all the accrued interest".

As you might see from my first post, I had written an e-mail to Natwest asking for the charges for the past 6 months. At the time I didn't know that I could claim for 6 years.

Since then I sent them another e-mail asking them to disregard my first request as I will be making a claim for 6 years.

Today I received a reply, I will summarise it for you.

"We are sorry to hear you are not happy. All charges for the past 6 months are correct. You are claiming £184 but as a goodwill gesture we decided to refund you £100. In order to credit the money back into your account please sign below and send this letter to us."

At the bottom of the part I am supposed to sugn it says

" I agree that this is final and full settlement for this matter"

I am obviously not accpeting it.

What do you think?

you seem to be more successful than me - at least you got an offer - but there again I would have been very surprised - nay shocked - if they had offered to repay any part of my claim (£2300) without a fight!

It appears that they know you are in the right and hope you will accept the lesser amount than fight for the full amount.

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't know how much they owe me as they haven't sent me the statements dating back 6 years. At the time I made my initial claim I didn't know I could go back 6 years.

Anyway now I wrote to them refusing their offer and I told them that I will be suing them for all the charges going back 6 years. (Once I receive the statements)

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't know how much they owe me as they haven't sent me the statements dating back 6 years. At the time I made my initial claim I didn't know I could go back 6 years.

Anyway now I wrote to them refusing their offer and I told them that I will be suing them for all the charges going back 6 years. (Once I receive the statements)

Shows the value of reading the FAQs and the forum material

bankfodder, i read FAQ but I was asked to sign a note saying this is the enof this matter and the charges that may occur after this will be charged to my account accordingly.

So I didn't want to ruin my chances of claiming for the past 6 years

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned above I was offered £100 by Natwest.

I sent one letter saying that I am rejecting their offer and that I would wait until my past statements and make a claim for the past years.

Straight after that I received another letter signed by another customer service representative saying that their offer is final and I should sign the bottom of the page and send it back to them. (I didn't respond)

My statements arrived and I sent the first letter asking for £1518 back. Today I received an e-mail saying this:

"Please find attached a copy of our letter to you dated 17 March, the

contents of which remain pertinent. Please let us know if you wish to accept

the offer to refund £100."

Yours sincerely

Frank Claydon

Customer Relations.

What the hell is wrong with these people?????

This was my reply;

Dear Frank,

Thank you for your e-mail. You can see from my previous e-mail that I have rejected your offer. In additon I have given Natwest 14 days to refund £1518 back to my account as this amount is the total of all the unlawful charges you have taken from my bank account. I am surprised that you are still offering me the same £100 when Amanda Jones knows that I have rejected the offer. Please check the trail of e-mails below and you will see that Amanda Jones sent me an e-mail confirming that I am not interested in your offer. You can either refund me the full £1518 or I will not hesitate to take this matter to court.

One final question, I suggest you start a small discussion within your department and try to find out how many people would accept a £100 offer when they are owed £1518.

Kind Regards,

Kotum45, that is a marvellous letter. Please please let us know as soon as you get a reply back!

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

Hi,

I received a reply to "preliminary approach letter" today this time from RBS Group Customer Relations. I haven't seen this letter on the forum so I thought I should share it with you.

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding charges, which has been passed to our office for investigation. In view of your comments, we have asked for a full briefing from those involved. Once this is received, a formal response will be sent to you.

We will aim to get a response out to you as soon as we can but we also want to make sure a thorough investigation takes place. If, for any reason, there looks like being a delay, we will, of course, write to you again to explain why.

If you do have any queries in the mean time, please feel free to contact us.

Yours Sincerely,

Aslam Abid,

Group Customer Relations.

Is it normal that I am being contacted by RBS Group rather than Natwest???

Natwest are now owned by RBS. I'm not sure when the take-over happened, but it's been like that for a while now. Some RBS and Natwest branches even have the same sort codes as one another.

I guess they're now taking you pretty seriously if it's going through RBS. Either that, or they're such complete muppets that they've used the wrong stationery and standard letter.

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

I know they are owned by RBS but it is strange that their coroporate office is writing rather than Natwest. Either way time is ticking and I am looking forward to the deadline I have given them

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks