• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Yyates v LloydsTsb - **WON IN FULL**

Yyates
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm new to all this so may i ask where do i basically start? Over approx. a 5 year period i feel LloydsTsb have had approx 2k worth of bank charges out of me due to bounced DD's etc. going over my o/d limit. This is what stared spiralling me into debt and i am now on a DMP with CCCS. So can i recover these charges and where do i start, my understanding is that i send a letter stating data protection act and £10 for a full breakdown of all the charges they have taken, please correct me if i'm wrong. Following that negotiations and if necessary file the papers for court? Also will it make any difference that i have a debt with them and pay a small amount monthly to Lloyds Tsb through CCCS due to their horrendous bank charges?

Many Thanks

Y Yates

Lloyds TSB -Settled in full 30/08/06 :)

Now whoes next :)

The first thing is that if the charges which you incurred were imposed by way of excessive penalties, i.e the bank's normal charges then , Yes. You should be able to recover them as the charges are unlawful.

Secondly if you are saying that it was the banks charges which pushed you into debt and lead to your CCCS - (do you mean County Court Judgment - CCJs?), then you should be able to do something about this although it will take time.

Your case would then raise a certain number of issues concerning the amount of damages which you could sue for. If it is the unlawful charges by the bank which has created your situation then it is clear that you have suffered a certain amount of damage as a result and you might think about claiming far more than merely the return of the charges which the bank has taken. At some point I would envisage that you would have to negotiate or better still appoint an intermediary to negotiate a proper settlement for you which would include a refund, additional damages, arrangements in respect of the CCJs and credit score.

However, don't get carried away yet.

Firstly you need to make an accurate assessement of your position.

Are you still with the bank?

Whether you are not you should write to them immediately and ask for a schedule of the charges which they have levied over the preceding (up to 6) years. Send everything recorded delivery and keep copies.

Work out exactly how much you have paid including interest.

Is one of the CCJs the result of a claim by the bank? If it is then there may be a lot of information in the paperwork on that claim.

If you want to go further than merely get your charges back, you then have to construct an argument which shows clearly that it was the bank's charges which caused all of your other problems. This must be not merely convincing but provable. If you can do that then you are in business.

However you should also try and anticipate what the bank will say in repsonse.

For instance the £2000 which you say that you have paid was not taken by the bank in one hit which could very easily be said to have plunged you into difficulty. Rather, the charges accumulated over a 5 year period - dribs and drabs. This might suggest that you contributed to your downfall. This comment is not to be critical of you but merely to be realistic about what you might be able to recover.

The Bank may well offer to refund your money without much of a fight but they are likely to be more difficult about paying you anything on top.

So there you are, get your information, get your story sorted out and then come back here.

Finally, you suggest that you are paying off a debt to Lloyds by means of monthly installments.

Is this the result of an arrangement with the bank or because of an order of the court?

If it is merely an arrangement then once you have a clear view of what has been charged - and especially if you are no longer with the bank, then I would suggest that you should consider stopping your payments as part of your action against the bank. This will help to concentrate their minds.

If the payments are because of a court order then you will have to keep on paying until the whole matter is settled.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not too bothered at the mo about the fact that they slid me into debt i'm more bothered about recovering the charges. Fortunately i don't have any ccj's and the DMP i'm on has not been authorised by the courts, its a voluntary arrangement through CCCS with frozen interest but i'm now coming into paying off the £300 bank charges they slammed on when they were informed i had debt problems.

When i send the letter asking for a list of all charges do i include the £10 fee with it and if so is a postal order accepted or a cheque in another persons name as i don't have a cheque book any more or debit card?

thaks in advance

I doesn't matter which way you pay them. But I would photocopy whateever you send them and make sure that it is all recorded delivery or better still take it to the branch and hand it in and get the name of the person who receives it

can you not say

"I give consent for an amount not exceding £10.00 to be deducted from my account"

My account is at present on a DMP with CCCS so no they would not take the money out of the account added to that have you ever tried speaking to one of their call centres? I gave up the other day :evil:

I just noticed that you say that you gave up waiting on one of their callcentres the other day.

Why don't you call directly to their main comapints department.

There is a Birmingham number posted on one of the other threads on the Lloyds forum. This is NOT a call centre number and will get you directly through to the person you need to speak to.

Also on yet another thread on the Lloyds Bank Action Group forum is an email address which gets you through to the same department.

Don't waste time being given the runaround by the banks procedures and "channels".

Take control of the situation and go Direct!

I just noticed that you say that you gave up waiting on one of their callcentres the other day.

Why don't you call directly to their main comapints department.

There is a Birmingham number posted on one of the other threads on the Lloyds forum. This is NOT a call centre number and will get you directly through to the person you need to speak to.

Also on yet another thread on the Lloyds Bank Action Group forum is an email address which gets you through to the same department.

Don't waste time being given the runaround by the banks procedures and "channels".

Thank you for this information which is just as valuble as all the rest. Indian call centres are a nightmare, please don't get me wrong here, i used to live in asia, i couldn't understand a word and neither could the 3 i tried of what i was trying to say!

Take control of the situation and go Direct!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

I'm new to all this so may i ask where do i basically start? Over approx. a 5 year period i feel LloydsTsb have had approx 2k worth of bank charges out of me due to bounced DD's etc. going over my o/d limit. This is what stared spiralling me into debt and i am now on a DMP with CCCS. So can i recover these charges and where do i start, my understanding is that i send a letter stating data protection act and ?10 for a full breakdown of all the charges they have taken, please correct me if i'm wrong. Following that negotiations and if necessary file the papers for court? Also will it make any difference that i have a debt with them and pay a small amount monthly to Lloyds Tsb through CCCS due to their horrendous bank charges?

Many Thanks

Y Yates

Hi, I'd be inclined to let the CCCS know what you are doing. They are quite cagey when it comes to not letting them know everything regarding your debts.

I have heard of one occassion where someone who was paying a debt off at 20 quid per month and was happy to do so, didn't mention it to them and then at a later date asked for this to be added to their plan, they withdrew the plan completely.

Don't get me wrong the CCCS is a fantastic charitable organisation and should be commended - they just like to be informed completely (understandably) of what is going on with the finances that they have taken 'under their wing'.

Hi Dave

I have missed this post of would of replied earlier. I have informed CCCS of what i inted to do and what they said was that it could well go against me. They said the bank could start added excessive charges on to the DMP if they wished to and decided to end the agrement i have with them :shock: Tonight i sent the template letter by email to LloydsTsb as quite frankly i more than likely wouldn't still be paying off a rather large overdaft currently standing at £500 if it wasn't for their £400 charges on this alone. I am more than ready for a fight :twisted:

I did pass this website on to CCCS and also the thread running on Money savign expert.com which they were very interested in viewing, maybe they will change their minds after reading the whole site

I emailed Lloyds early this morning with the template letter and have received this back

Thank you for the e-mail, which has been passed to this office by the On-line Helpdesk.

I am sorry to learn that you are unhappy over the level of charges you have incurred on your Lloyds TSB account.

Under the circumstances, your e-mail has been passed on to the Manager of the Complaints Unit within Customer Care. I have asked that he notes your comments and issues raised and for a response to be sent you at the earliest opportunity.

Regards

Keith Boden

Lloyds TSB - Customer Care

Birmingham

which i assume is a courtesey mail, so hopefully they will sedn me my info so i can work out what they owe me :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well today i have received all my bank statements for the last 6 years :D , I really feel for the poor postman :roll: . I can't think why but for some strange reason i wasn't expecting so many statements :shock: So you all know what i'll be doing this weekend :twisted: It has only taken 10 days from receipt of my email to them to receiving the statements throught the post today.

Well today i have received all my bank statements for the last 6 years :D , I really feel for the poor postman :roll: . I can't think why but for some strange reason i wasn't expecting so many statements :shock: So you all know what i'll be doing this weekend :twisted: It has only taken 10 days from receipt of my email to them to receiving the statements throught the post today.

• 3 months later...

Litigation filed 24 May 06

Bank charges £2843.68

Court costs £120.00

________

Total £2963.68

________

Time for a coffee i think :-D

(have pm'd BankFodder)

• 3 weeks later...

Well it looks like LTSB are going to fight dirty. I have a DMP with them through CCCS. I have just received an underlying threatening phone call from them saying there is no payment plan on my account with them and they want to know how i am going to pay off my arrears. Told them there is a payment plan set up so she said they would send it to a long term debt collection agency, like I'm really scared, they would be doing me a favour, she didn't like that. Anyway i have contacted CCCS and brought them up to speed but if anyone else out there is on a DMP with LTSB take this as a warning that your payment plan will disappear. Do what i did, put the phone down on them and if they phone again don't speak to them.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had to make a new user name as the site wouldn't let me back in. Anyway i've filed my court allocation questionaire on Monday Can anyone tell me now how long I will have to wait before LLoydsTSB offer to refund the charges please?

Shouldn't be long, Yyates. Hang in there - the court date itself probably won't be for a month or two, and I am 99% sure you'll receive a settlement offer before it's due.

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a letter this morning from Martineau Johnson saying they will credit my account with #2599.42 this is 2080.50 for actual charges plus 393.92 for the interest and 120 for the court fee. I had the amount to just under 3k including interest and court fees. Could I have got the figures wrong? sorry my pound sign has done a runner.

Hi Yyates, I am in a similar position to you in that the solicitors have offered me less than the amount I have asked for. I would say that the choice is yours and yours alone. Some would say stick it out, and some would say if you are happy with the figure then accept. The underlying feeling is that if you stick you will get the full amount. But why is the amount different? Do you know? Mine is different because Lloyds schedule of charges differs from my statements (???????). I personally will fight on, but do what feels right! Good luck!

Hi

many thanks for the reply. Had panic stations earlier as my internet went down anyway i really cannot afford to let the rest of the money go. I'm on Income support and disabillity plus a DMP with CCCS and no moey in the bank at the back of me. I'm going to go through the excel sheet again and check i have the correct figures and if so - (they have knocked my confidence here) i will refuse the offer and fight for the rest of it.

Once you're sure of your figures, write/e-mail MJ:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

May I remind you that only a FULL UNCONDITIONAL settlement will result in my withdrawing the County Court claim in which your clients are the Defendants.

With this in mind, I await your next communication. As of now, my claim continues."

Do NOT write "without prejudice" on your communications. Many people on here do, they shouldn't. :-)

I have had to send the letter by email to MJ as my legs have a mind of their own right now, saying that only the full amount will be accepted, (i have a disability) so my question now is how long will it be before i receive a reply from them, please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks