anon1234 vs RBS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there all,

I'm aiming to claim back charges from RBS, relating to a now closed (by them) Student Royalties Account. The reason for it closing was....can u guess?;) Yup, Hundereds and hundereds of £s of charges. :mad:

I put my head in the sand, ignored letters from them (and debit collection agencies), and moved on. I figured, "if they want to take me to court, let them". But as you can imagine, or may know, I always had that nagging sense that it had to be sorted out some day. Well, when I heard about reclaiming bank charges I fugured now is the time.

At the moment, I have one kinda urgent question Re: DPA/SAR/more than 6 yrs of details..

-I have an outstanding DPA request - letter requesting all transactions on account for last 6 years. No reply yet. I've just read that it's possible to request (and be provided with) info for a longer period. I'd like to do this (get details back to Autum 1998). So I was wondering....

What's the best plan of action?

Should I call them and request the info further back be added to the SAR? Or will I have to write another letter to them?

If so, will I have to enclose another £10?

Any advice much Appreciated icon7.gif

Hi Anon.

You will probably have to send another SARs request, stipulating that you want details of all transactions on your account from the date it was opened.

The big problem is that we are not sure how far back the bank's records go. This is something that we are trying to find out at the moment.

Regards, Rooster.

• Haha 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Thanks Rooster :)

I will give them a phone just incase...then send an additional letter if that gets me nowhere. Only a couple extra years of info to get, but if my recollections are correct, it should be worth the extra £10.

The annoying thing is I remember having statements #s 1-100 in date order in a polyfile. I think I threw them out icon9.gif!! lol

What SAR letter did you use though? If you used the one in the templates area on this site, at no point does it say you are only after 6 years worth of statements.

A standard DPA request is for ALL information that the bank holds on you - and not just statements - EVERYTHING. It is a common misconception because you can only claim back 6 years that the bank is also only entitled to supply you with 6 years worth of statements.

If you have sent the SAR from the templates area then I don't think you need to worry right now about sending further letters or ringing them up because your DPA request is requesting everything. If the bank come back with just 6 years of statements (which they might, they did to me) then you can respond by saying that you require all information they hold, not just 6 years and unless they confirm that is all they hold you will take them to court for non-compliance.

• Haha 1

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Thanks for your reply T4FF,

Unfortunately, the letter I sent was not the template from this site (I only joined last night) - but an amalgam of DPA letters from various other sites, and requests statements from the last 6 years (I was under the misconception stated in your post!).

If I have to send a further DPA (which may be the case), would you advise I just use the CAG template? Is there anything I should add to it, as a 'pre-emptive rebutal' to any refusal on their part to send the 6yrs+ info?

Basically, a less-crude version of "and don't bother wasting my time with [insert stalling tactics]. This is not relevant because xxxx."

Well what I would do would be to add something like this on the end:

"A data access request requires that you disclose ALL information you hold on me, I will not accept the supplying of 6 years worth of statements as you fully complying with my request when I am fully aware that you hold data for xxxx years".

In the general forums, there is currently a thread running called "how far back have you got statements" or something like that, find out the furthest back RBS has gone from that thread and add that in here. I don't know if will do the trick but I can't see the harm in adding this in from the start. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even read the SARs though...

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well got my first six years of statements from RBS, as per my first DPA request. And about to send second DPA. I intend to include a request for transactions/charges over +6 years (as mentioned above), and also a request for ALL transactions/charges on my RBS VISA card. As always(!!) I have a few questions -

My understanding is that this is ok (including 2 accounts in 1 SAR). Am I right on this?

Both these accounts have gone in to default. Is there any other info it would be useful to have further down the line given this, and is possible to request in my SAR?

In particular, the last few transactions (credits) on my final statement for my Royalties account are causing me some confusion.

BAC(automated pay in) - FROM SUSPENSE - £xxx (looks like partial refund of interest since default of account - I have subtracted this from my fees total)

IBP(inter bank payment) - BAL TO BBD FINCON - £xxxx (the full amount of my outstanding balance credited to account, bringing the balance to NIL. What is this all about?)

As always, any input would be most appreciated :)

Here is a draft of my second Data Protection Act, doe sit look ok?

Data Protection Team

36 St Andrews Square

Edinburgh

EH2 2YB

xx May 2007

Data Protection Act 1998 Subject Access Request

Dear Sir/Madam,

Anon1234

Student Royalties Account Sort Code: xx-xx-xx Account Number: xxxxxxxx

RBS VISA Classic Staircase Card Number: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Under the Data Protection Act 1984 and 1998, and including the right of subject access under these acts, please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my banking history with your organisation, regards the above accounts. Alternatively a complete set of bank statements for those periods will be acceptable.

Please note, as regards my Student Royalties Account (Sort Code: xx-xx-xx; Account #:xxxxxxxx)

i) Since I am already in receipt of statements from xx/xx/xxxx to xx/xx/xxxx, I shall not require details of transactions between these dates. I will however require all details of transactions on this account up to and including the date of xx/xx/xxxx.

ii) I require that you provide the contact details (address, telephone number) of the organisation detailed as XXXXXXX which credited my account on xx/xx/xxxx with the sum of £XXXX.XX.

As stated above, I also require a complete list of all transactions and charges relating to my Royal Bank of Scotland VISA Credit Card (Card #: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx)

Additionally, where there has been any event in my accounts histories over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you. If you are unable to supply this data because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response.

If you store any of the older records on microfiche, please be aware that the Information Commissioner deems this to be a relevant filing system under the Act. As such, any microfiche data must be sent to me in fully legible and comprehensible form.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. I look forward to your response within the maximum 40 day time limit under the 1998 Act.

Yours faithfully,

Anon1234

ENC:

-Postal order to the sum of £10

Only thing I might change (assuming you haven't sent it) is...

a complete set of bank statements for those periods will be acceptable.

Up to that point you haven't mentioned any periods, so...

a complete set of bank statements for the periods listed below will be acceptable.

...might make more sense.