Barobalti v Currys

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We defaulted on repayments to Currys (unemployed and broke!) a couple of years back and they passed our details on to Aktiv Kapital (UK) Ltd. As it stands our outstanding balance appears to be £547.00. We had bought a cooker and it was installed (by Currys “Engineers”) in August 2001. Obviously I am considering the DPA implications of Currys passing on our details to Aktiv without our consent.

Now it turns out that the wiring had not been securely fixed to the wall socket and the earth connection had worked its way loose over time. As a result of this my wife and I received nasty electrical shocks on occasions when we touched the cooker, and more so when in contact with the metal sink, or pots & pans at the same time; on one occasion I was thrown across the kitchen (and at 6’3” and 108Kg, I’m not exactly a size zero supermodel).

At the time we had no idea what was causing this until we had the installation inspected by a qualified electrical engineer. Now an electric shock is not an entirely unpleasant experience, but it is up there with erotic self-strangulation under “things I’d prefer not to do if I can help it.” (Please note the absence of the word “again”). Id est, given the choice, I prefer to live…

We have retained as evidence the burnt connection leads, the damaged pots and pans, and the written report of the aforementioned electrician. He has verified that death or serious injury would have been a likely consequence had his inspection and repair not taken place. We have two young children at home.

Aktiv has agreed to put the debt “on hold” while we investigate this issue and (wait for it) Currys (Sheffield) are concerned about our problems, but are unable to track or locate our purchase record. It is like – Aktiv are chasing us for a debt to Currys that Currys know hee-haw (Scots expression meaning ‘b#gger all”) about!

Now, we are honest people and a debt is a debt – Now that we’re in a (slightly) better financial position I’m in a healthier state to pay off Currys and any other creditors.

HOWEVER – I reckon that one of us could have been killed (Heaven forfend, one of my children!) due to the incompetence of the installers and I am considering either (a) asking Currys what compensation they may wish to offer in addition to “writing off” the balance or, (b) saying, “Bring it on! See you in Court!”

Has anyone been in a similar situation, and what advice would the subscribers to this esteemed Forum offer?

It is great to be alive.

Best Wishes,

Ian P of Edinburgh

Thread title edited - please do not post libelous comments as they could harm this site

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.