• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bank of Scotland charges - Time for Business.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,

I came across this website via the money saving expert website. I was initially a little sceptical about how i can claim back my charges but after reading some posts on this forum i am determined to get some of the money back the bank has taken off me! :twisted:

I am looking for a little advice on the best way to approach this, i am going to send off a letter and keep you posted on what happens. Is there anything else i should know about?

The thing that has annoyed me is recently i have had had to take a couple of weeks of work due to other commitments (I am a full time student so can only work a few evenings and weekends), so my bank account was a little depleted! I applied to extend my over draft so i wouldn't incur any charges (Why offer a maximum overdraft if you cannot get it?), and i was declined. Today i found out that i have been pushed over drawn by £6 by a £28 "bank maitenance fee". i am now going to get charged £20 for the joy of it and then £28 next month. It makes me mad that a bank who i have been with for 9 years can treat their customers so badly.

I for one cannot wait to work over the summer and leave the halifax group.

Daniel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

ok, now i'm fuming!!! I get paid on the Wed/Thur of every week, and today i received a letter off the bank today claiming i have gone over my over draft level by £10.14 and am now going to incur a £20 charge. :twisted

I called the bank and asked how i can be charged even though the direct debit came out on the same day i was being paid? The reply came a little something like this:

"if there is no money in your account on the day of the the DD coming out, it is postponed till 4pm, then a charge will be levied if no money has been put in over the course of the day". Fair enough, but when i called BOS telephone banking during the day, i had available funds with nothing showing! What is the point in having telephone banking if it doesn't tell you exactly how much money you have?

I was raging. I asked them to explain to me how the charges cover their costs and the guy said he would look it up on the system! I thought, yes i'm in, but after a bit of umming and ahhing, he said he would ask his manager. Well i knew what would happen then, they are not allowed to disclose this sort of information! I asked for the manager but she had "just gone into a meeting".

Well, it was obvious i was going to get no where so i told him i would be closing my account as soon as possible, my letter has been sent asking for statements, a breakdown, a copy of my t&c's and a if there has been any manual intervention?

So, what next? And what is manual intervention? Sorry for asking, and thanks for listening to my rant! :x

Don't close your account.

As to what is manual intevention? If you ever find out, let us know.

Don't know but apparently it takes two people to do it!! :lol::lol::lol:

Halifax - DPA sent 03/03/06.

Prelim Letter - Sent 27/03/06 ignored.

LBA sent 10/04/06 - Ignored

Moneyclaim filed - 26.04.06

Acknowledgement received 3rd May. Halifax state they intend to defend.

Halifax Settled in Full - 17 May 2006

If you've found this post helpful, I would be grateful if you could click on the 'Scales of Justice' button in the top right corner of this post.

Don't close your account.

i copied the letter from one i had seen on here?! dont tell me it was a mistake on someone else's letter! (My day just gets better and better) :Cry:

I had a similar issue with BOS, where Internet Banking showed me in the black but Bank said I had dipped into the red that day.

Internet banking didn't show this so I argued the point saying how can I manage my money with online facilities they provide if it doesn't show all the info properly.

They eventually agreed and retruned my charges for that period.

Will be sending my letter tomorrow.

i goy my first letter back from the BOS. It reads:

Dr Mr xxx

Thank you for your recent letter. I was sorry to learn you are unhappy with us.

We are keen to deal with your concerns as quickly as possible. I will ensure that a full investigation is carried out and you will receive a response shortly but not more than four weeks from the date of this letter (17th March).

You will find enclosed a copy of our compaints leaflet. This tells you how we will handle your complaint. If you need to speak to someone in the meantime, please phone me on 0191 2357817 (option 2)

Your sincerely

Liz Butcher

Customer Services

Ok, so what next? I take it they will not take 40 days to process this but on my letter i sent them i told them they had 40 days to send me my statements, but now they have turned it round on me saying i have 40 days to wait for them. Damn banks. Do i just wait and see?

Thanks for your help

Dan

Ok,

Got the letter from the Bank saying the following:

COMPLAINT

Dear Mr xxx,

I am writing in connection with the above numbered account and my colleague's previous letter dated 17th March 2006. I note your comments and am now responding in view of my particular resposibility for Bank accounts administered by Newcastle Customer Service Centre.

You have requested a copy of duplicate statements for the past 6 years. There is a charge of £5.00 for dupicate statements therefore if you still require statements for the past 6 years please let me know as soon as possible.

I was sorry to learn that you were also unhappy with the charges, which have been applied to your account.

Like other organisations, HBOS incurs aditional costs when an item is returned unpaid, or paid againist an unauthorised overdraft. Rather than pass these costs onto unaffected customers, charges are applied only to the account concerned, so we do not penalise all of our customers. Theese charges only partially cover the costs we incur and compare favourably to our competitors.

Our charging policy is clearly outlined in the terms and conditions that apply to your account and i enclose a copy of these for your reference.

Turning to your request for a list of all the members of staff that have manually intervened on your account. Unfortunatley, an investigation of this kind would involve a disproportionate effect and HBOS Plc is not legally obliged to supply this information.

I trust that i have resolved your concerns but if you have any further information you would like me to consider, please call me on 0191 2357817 option 2. If i don't hear from you in the next 8 weeks, i will assume yo uare happy with my responses and will close your file.

Our leaflet "complaints Here's what we'll do", which was sent to you on the 17th of March 2006. details your options if you remain dissatisfied.

Yours sincerely

J Macciocchi (Mrs)

Customer services

Well then, not exactly a huge surpise is it.

What got me was the fact they never answered my question of how the charges are broken down. Then in the letter (which i assume is a generic document) it says "Bank accounts administered by Newcastle Customer Service Centre". Is this right? Is the customer services centre in Newcastle because it certainly is not where i sent my first letter.

Now then, here is the question. What letter do i send back? I am confident i have all of my statements anyway so i don't have to wait for that. Do i total up the charges and issue a letter to the effect of:

give me back my money in 14 days or i'll see you in court.

Please let me know!!

Thanks!

Please read the Step by Step Instructions in the FAQ

Although i appreciate the help and the ammount of times you must tell people this could you please answer the questions which are not in the FAQ.

Such as the issue of the customer services centre?

Your help is appreciated.

Dan

Ok i have calculated i have had £689.50 worth of charges over the past 6 years! :shock: WOW!!! i am quite surprised they have had so much out of me. I have had a look in the FAQ section but still need clarification on my account because it is a student account.

I am going to write my letter to the bank with help from the one's in the library (Thank you so much!!) and wait for the response. I will give them 14 days to say pay up or court but am tempted to offer them 14 days to give me a response then a further 14 days after the response to say ok then, court it is!

Any feedback would be greatly appeciated.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Ok here is an update. I sent my Letter away via e mail to a contact within the bank of scotland who seems to be dealing with me directly requesting my money back within 14 days. Hopefully the 14 days will be good to me. :) I'll let you know.

Dan

Bloody hell!!!

I got a reply from my e mail already!

It read.....

"I confirm I have received your e mail and attachment and I will refer your complaint to my Head Office for a further review. You will receive a letter direct from them shortly.

thanks....."

I'm impressed! Seems e mail is the way to do it. Come on!!!

Hi Daniel,

Read but don't take to heart the responses from the Bank to your letters, you are making a claim, they WILL use delaying tactics in the hope that a, you will find it too irritating to continue and give up and b, they will wear you down and eventually you may accept something less than you are claiming for. YOU have a timetable, YOU make the rules, they abide or it ends up in a court claim, they will not go to court.

Your timetable should be something like this

1. PDA Letter requested account information (they do not have to supply statements, they DO have to supply all account info including ALL transactions, be careful what you ask for in your PDA letter) Time given 40 days

2. Letter requesting repayment of ALL Bank charges including interest levied on these charges applied by the bank. Time given 14 days

3. LBA (Letter before Action) Letter explaining they now have 14 days to pay in FULL if they do not, you will proceed with court action. time given 14 days

4. Court Action File a claim with the local county court. they have 28 days in which to submit a defence.

At this point gather your evidence and lay out your case to present if needed, in court.

People are calculating around 2 months from initial DPA letter to conclusion of case. If you mean it, stick with YOUR timetable, ignore theirs, you are in command, don't let their tactics put you off.

Rebel

• Confused 1

vs Barclays Bank plc - £1670+interest @ 8% + Costs Concluded 24th June 06 - 5% donation sent

vs Bank of Scotland - £2226.42+interest @ 8% + Costs SETTLED IN FULL 6th Aug INCLUDING 8% pre court.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Rebel!

Its nice to have a reply reminding us exactly what we have to do. Its 14 days tomorrow since i sent off my letter and i have heard nothing. I will send the 2nd letter tomorrow asking why their was no reply and something to the effect of

"I take it by the lack of response you do not intent to acknoledge me, if there is no response within 14 days i will be filing court proceedings".

Is this a good idea?

Cheers guys

Dont bother trying to converse with them, just send your LBA Letter Before Action, giving them 14 days to respond, then go ahead with a claim.

Rebel

vs Barclays Bank plc - £1670+interest @ 8% + Costs Concluded 24th June 06 - 5% donation sent

vs Bank of Scotland - £2226.42+interest @ 8% + Costs SETTLED IN FULL 6th Aug INCLUDING 8% pre court.

They beat me to it....

They have sent me a letter offering me £115 for a settlement and as a gesture of "goodwill". !!! What a laugh that is.

What is the best thing to do now? I know some people have accepted the offer, others have accepted the offer and then pursued the bank for the rest of the money and others have turned round to the bank and said no, give me what i am due.

I am tempted to do the latter but i wanna know the approach.

Cheers guys, i am one step closer to getting my money back!

I had a phone call followed up with same letter. I let them have the full 14 days as stated in my Preliminary approach letter and then sent a Letter Before Action (LBA) giving them a further 14 days to repay, but as I have heard nothing from them I have now proceeded with filing a claim at the Sheriff's court. Just waiting for it to be served.

I have seen this mentioned elsewhere, but also think that since Bank of Scotland became HBoS (not sure who has taken over who) their level of service and that 'personal' touch has gone, now they are just pants, cancelling DDs for no apparent reason, and then unable to find relavent paperwork to find out why DDs have been cancelled (instances include my NI payments and our mortgage payments !!!) and all the time taking more and more in charges and posting increasingly obscene profits........

think I will stop now before rage and hysteria take over...

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

I have seen this mentioned elsewhere, but also think that since Bank of Scotland became HBoS (not sure who has taken over who) their level of service and that 'personal' touch has gone, now they are just pants, cancelling DDs for no apparent reason, and then unable to find relavent paperwork to find out why DDs have been cancelled (instances include my NI payments

Me too. I keep having to pay NI chunks of money because they cancelled the Direct Debit. After (of course) charging £35 to bounce a £2 debit.

I'd love to meet Gary R D Kettle one day, to find out if he has the faintest idea how utterly immoral the thing he puts his name to is.

(Gary Ronald Daniel Kettle, IIRC on the Board, also involved in the FSA IIRC).

Bank of Scotland - £4000+ returned. Scottish resident, scottish accounts, but it's Halifax Bank of Scotland now, so took 'em to court in Halifax. One small claims, one defence filed, one refund of all charges + interest! Done and dusted.

Next - Capital One :D

I'd love to meet Gary R D Kettle one day, to find out if he has the faintest idea how utterly immoral the thing he puts his name to is.

look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2035&highlight=gary+kettle

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

I got my letters of a lady called Helen Kirwin. The Customer Relations Manager. i have been trying to get hold of her e mail because it seems to be the way to do things. Anyway, back to my original question....

Accept, Accept and pursue the rest or decline and pursue?

Cheers guys

Accept the offer but make it clear it is NOT a full and final settlement and you will continue action for the rest.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks