• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

cozzie v's the big boys

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I sent my DPA 07/05 and received all documents 10 days later. I am away to put in my preliminary approach for payment but need to calculate the interest but am struggling to understand how the interest in calculated. I'll try figure it out at the weekend, tried using the template but was getting errors on it!

Also, if I calculate the sum total incorrectly can that affect my claim or is it better to get a ball park figure for which Lloyds TSB may correct for you, e.g I say they owe me £648 will they come back to me disputing that figure and say we believe it is £612 or is that them admitting liability?

Having read through everybody else's threads is it me or is TSB playing hard ball compared to other banks? nobody's case has been settled yet?

Away to start on Barclays, Barclaycard & awaiting DPA info from MBNA.

Lloyds TSB - LBA sent for £338

Launched court action on 28-03-2007

Return Date 28-05-2007

There is often a lot of confusion regarding interest - not least because there are effectively 3 types that are referred to....

1) You can claim for the interest that the bank applied to your account solely due to the charges, i.e. NOT for general interest which occured simply because you had gone overdrawn.

This, in my book anyway, is more complicated to work out because you should ideally know what APR they charged you for general overdraft rates and for 'over limit' rates - unless, of course, you are one of the 'lucky' ones whose statements break this figure down for you.

I

t can also be argued that by not claiming this (possibly much smaller) figure, that you are allowing the bank an amount you consider IS proportionate to the costs it incurred dealing with your failed Direct Debit / Cheque etc etc.

If you had to face the enemy in court, you would at least have an arguement to show you have allowed for actual cost. Remember though, you do not have to give them it.....

The choice is yours........

2) If your case gets to the stage of court action, AND ONLY IF IT DOES, then you may claim 8% interest on each and every charge made - this is also from the DAY the charge occured.

Use the spreadsheet in FAQ section (or the new online calculator) which works this out for you - very simple indeed.

3) Additionally, we can finally complicate matters by sticking on interest on a daily basis from the time the court case is started until settlement.

There is also a calculation for this in FAQs.

If you don't understand these, it is VITAL that you spend more reading through the FAQ section. You are either about to, or have already started, a legal process to recover funds from a large financial institution - do not do so lightly - even if the evidence suggests that it is an easy process.

Good luck...!!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

cool, thanks......i've been playing with the sheet and reckon I have a basic understanding of the interest, enough to argue my point anyway!

With regards to the ballpark figure and successful claims from Lloyds TSB, is there anybody out there with an answer? :?

Return Date 28-05-2007

If you make a reasoned attempt to decifer the interest part of the claim, then I'm sure you will be fine. If the banks want to provide the actual amounts (if different) then they can freely do so, as you suggest.

See survey results for info on sucess against them

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My initial request for refund of charges were for the past 6 years. I am now away to send the LBA but as I have fully read and now understand the requirements for scotland I am aware I can only claim for 5 years.

Should I change the amount for the LBA, if I do and Lloyds TSB refuse and I launch a small claims court action, would this change have a bearing on my claim?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Return Date 28-05-2007

No, when it comes to putting in court claim, make sure your claim only covers the 5 years, they are not going to complain about you claiming less, now, are they...;)

PS: Please keep your questions and updates to the one thread per claim, it makes things to complicated to follow otherwise.

Many thanks,

I was slightly concerned that there would not be a consistent approach for refunds and the court may take that into consideration. You know how lthe legal system works.... the smallest inconsistency and the case is thrown out!

Return Date 28-05-2007

Hi,

I am currently waiting for a response to my LBA, expecting the same standard letter, blah blah blah.

What I am trying to do is prepare for the small claims court. I have read through the FAQ's and other threads and letters but am still unsure as to what to expect when I arrive on the day.

I'm looking for any help or information on the proceedings, what happens, do I have to say anything on top of the form that is filled in why you are requesting a court hearing. If Lloyds TSB defend themselves will I be expected to answer any questions from their solicitor.

Has anybody been through the process in Dundee or anywhere that could offer advice on the layout of proceedings.

I would prefer to stride in confident and prepared rather than feeling like a small fish battling the big sharks!

THREADS MERGED. PLS STAY ON ONE THREAD PER CLAIM. IT HELPS US, IT HELPS YOU. THANK YOU.

Return Date 28-05-2007

Sorry, not sure here, but have you read through the great Scottish procedure guide Scotia has posted? Ok, it won't tell you exactly what you want, but it's a good start.

You may want to ask Scotia himself, he's really quite experienced and very very nice to all fellow Scots and even to the odd English one! :D

i've read through the info i have found, but i cant find anything thats sets out what i would call a schedule or agenda.

Sadly, brought up to be a boyscout, always be prepared!

Return Date 28-05-2007

If you look in the 'Guidance Notes' section there are a few threads in there which give overviews. They are geared towards the English Small Claims procedure but you may find useful information in there.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks.......

To be completely honest, i think it would be very worthwhile to start a seperate thread on what happens in court in Scotland, for me, it is still very much a grey area and i'm sure there must be others who have the same questions.

I understand the forms I need to complete and submitting them but as I have asked before, what actually happens in court? Am I required to argue my case, or even speak? Do I have to answer any questions. There is a plethora of information on what the requirements are for claiming back charges but seems to dry up after either using forms 1a & 1b and getting your court date.

Return Date 28-05-2007

Hey cozzie

Not sure if its much help, but was in Perth small claims a few years ago for my boss of the time. Sitting very terrified and judge was most helpful and let me know when I had to give info and basically judge dealt with other sides lawyer and before I knew it I had won. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

I know its not the same, but if the judge is half as nice, you're laughing:grin:

15/6/06 Clydesdale - DAP delivered to branch

23/6/06 - letter received saying they will send statements

14/7/06 - Statements received, calculator ready!

18/7/06 - charges totalled and first prelim letter put through bank's door

12/9/06 lba delivered to bank

26/9/06 - cheque for £371.03 (half) received

I understand the forms I need to complete and submitting them but as I have asked before, what actually happens in court? Am I required to argue my case, or even speak? Do I have to answer any questions. There is a plethora of information on what the requirements are for claiming back charges but seems to dry up after either using forms 1a & 1b and getting your court date.

take a look here:

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/sheriff/small_claims/forms/sederunt_small_claims_2002.pdf

after tomorrow I will be able to give you a first hand account as I am due in court, see here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=986

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

• 9 months later...

ok....time for an update.

My LBA ran out on my birthday no less, 27/03. popped into my local sheriff court, managed to avoid the usual dundee junkies, ha ha, filed my claim in the civil office up the stairs.

The girl behind the counter was very helpful. It turns out the stencils posted on here are for different procedures, i suppose i should have read the instructions closer. The file 1a form is for launching an action against an individual and the form 1b is against an organisation. they are in the office now, getting process, waiting on my court date. Lloyds TSB havent given me the courtesy of a reply to my LBA yet either, now 3 days after it has expired. I never went through with the last LBA but definititely finishing this claim.

Lets see what happens. If all goes well, which i am hoping it will do, i will be starting again on my credit cards. Time will tell

Return Date 28-05-2007

yes i did, sadly it sent me 6 months into the future.....very weird, no recollection.

When it came to filling out the forms the last time, i was so badly skint that i could not even afford the £39 court fees and didnt really have the time to do it properly.

back on the ball now though

Return Date 28-05-2007

ok, an update is required. i filed court action on the 28th March. This morning i recieved the forms back asking me to justify why i am using 12% interest instead of the judicial rate of 8%. I am now thinking that i should actually go for a higher rate but need some guidance on the wording on it, as i need to put it in?

Return Date 28-05-2007

Well, the first question I need to ask is why did you claim for 12%?

i claimed for 12% because i think it is a fair rate compared to the 18.1% i am charged by my bank. i couldnt justify why 12 and not anything else i suppose. plus i also read a few other people had got away with it, chancing my luck i reckon

Return Date 28-05-2007

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Return Date 28-05-2007

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks