Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    dizzydolly Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2007

Default quick answers please??

Hi, i've just logged on to this site, as I am just going to start a claim. I was hoping for some clear, quick answers for a couple of questions I have please?! I am currently reading through all the FAQs etc, but some of it sounds very complicated! Can anyone help please?!

What is a default notice? How do you know if you have been 'defaulted for a debt which has been caused by unlawful charges'? I am intending on going back through my statements to calculate my charges, rather than write to the bank asking for the total. Is this ok and will it show everything?

Can you just claim back for 6 yearsicon worth only? Is there a maximum you can claim? (I am with RBSicon by the way).

Thank you so much in advance, I think I will find this forum very helpful and useful!

Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative

Cagger since : Apr 2006

Default Re: quick answers please??

What is a default notice? How do you know if you have been 'defaulted for a debt which has been caused by unlawful charges'?
    You should have been notified at the time. You can check your credit record for 2 here:
    Equifax - Your credit history and your rights explained
    Equifax - Your credit history and your rights explained
    Experian - Credit reference agency
    Experian - Credit reference agency

I am intending on going back through my statements to calculate my charges, rather than write to the bank asking for the total. Is this ok and will it show everything?
    Yes that's fine

Can you just claim back for 6 yearsicon worth only?
    Yes

Is there a maximum you can claim?
    5000 in small claimsicon court, 15000 in Fast Track, 99999 in Multi Track

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    isidore Informative isidore Informative isidore Informative isidore's Avatar

Cagger since : Aug 2006

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydolly View Post
    I am intending on going back through my statements to calculate my charges, rather than write to the bank asking for the total.
    Just to add to Michael's response, yes you can but ensure you have EVERY statement. If you have some missing, it might still be worth sending an SARicon to RBSicon for a complete list of statements.

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!
    Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC 498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard 705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    texel Novitiate

Cagger since : May 2006

As far as I am aware RBSicon are very quick to add a default notice to your credit rating and unless removed will stay for six years.I have this problem and settled out of court for payment but they did not remove the default and when I wrote to them they wrote back to say they would not remove it. So I have a new case against them and this time on the papers sent to the court I especially mentioned about removing all my defaults. This time I will not settle out of court unless I get all defaults removed. Be warned

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Dizzy, there is an explanation of a default notice here. I would think though that if you HAD one, you'd know about it?

RBS CA1 2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC 498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard 705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    dizzydolly Novitiate

Thank you all, i dont think i have a default notice to worry about as have never been aware of one, plus all my charges 'just' come from going over agreed overdraft limit, interest etc, not non-payment of specific bills etc.

One more thing though - i have two accounts: one is my current account, another is one where i wish to pay off the overdraft and then close it, i think as soon as i pay it off the RBSicon will close it anyway, so do i start preceedings on this account before i pay off and close it? Or can you still claim on closed accounts?

And lastly, can you claim on the two accounts together, ie, same letter/spreadsheets or seperate letters/spreadsheets etc?

Thankyou again in advance!

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

You can claim on closed accounts. IMO it would be best to close it first because the sooner it is closed the sooner you aren't in debt to them.

You can claim two accounts together but it is best to have two spreadsheets otherwise it will get real confusing.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    dizzydolly Novitiate

Thank you T4FF. I will do, and will post again very shortly needing more help i'm sure :-|

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details