• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

emmm is this normal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i wrote to royal bank asking for list of charges on 12 march. got a letter today offered 1490 without ever seeing statements. is this likely to be full amount? seems strage to offer without letting me see statements. im v pleased with this offer but wonder if it may be substanitially more given their quick offer. any ideas?

Ta Fi

It's not usual at all! Very strange!

I'd be inclined to wait for your statements and progress that as you would normally and ignore this. I can only assume it is a mistake.

The worst thing is your charges MIGHT be for less that the settlement but they COULD be for more!

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

The problem you have is that if this is a mistake, they could in the future ask for their money back.

This really is an unconventional scenario and I'm a bit concerned about you just accepting it. Perhaps you should wait to see what one of the mods thinks?

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

FWIW, if you don't have your statements then you don't know if the figure is right.

I have seen this with MBNA and Barclaycard, they tried similar things with me although not start off. What comes to light is the banks think you are only entitled to claim back the last six years.

They are wrong or at least they aren't prepared to test it in court and therefore it is more than likely they are wrong.

What they do they is try to send out the last six years worth of data or only provide info for that period. if your account is older than six years its almost certain they wont include that.

Bottom line is accept if you only want back part of what you're entitled to and aren't worried if they unlawfully deprive you of your money a second time.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

This seems very odd indeed and not the usual response as people have said before me. I would be a bit unsure of signing without working out all the charges owed.

Things like this happening confuse me a great deal. On the one hand RBS seem to be taking longer than in the past to even respond to a letter then on the other hand out of nowhere someone gets an offer from and initial letter! Brilliant for you AuntieFi but a bit of a head scratcher for all us still waiting for even an acknowledgement of our first letter! :D

superward vs First Direct - WON!!!

superward vs RBS - WON!!!

I'm sure they wont mind if you say I'll get back to you with an answer after you've sent me my data.

Now there's a good idea!!

I'm sure they wont mind if you say I'll get back to you with an answer after you've sent me my data.

I ber they DO mind, but its tough they cant have everything they want.

glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 1 month later...

Hi

I wrote to RBS on 12th March requested my statements , on 22nd March i got an offer of £1500 without ever asking for a refund. it was the usual bog standard letter, we dont admit liabiility etc etc etc. i accepted it. But I realise now it was probably a lot more I was owed, and i have never received my statements from them. given i never put in a claim, can i go back and claim the rest? or does the signature form specifiy what you are signing for? given the offer says its not a refund but goodwill gesture, is it worth trying?

sorry if this sounds greedy, just wondered if i have a leg to stand on?

i guess im lucky i got an offer (i guess this was a mistake!) so quickly.

Thanks lots

I agree with sparkie, I was also shift the £1500 into another account.

05/03/07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) handed in at branch

Found missing statements at home !!!!

08/03/07 Prelim+ schedule posted rec del

22/03/07 :mad: No reply to prelim LBA posted rec del

05/04/07 :mad: 14 days and no reply to LBA, sent e-mail

27/04/07 :D Offered FULL SETTLEMENT £3375

03/05/07 Cash in bank account :D :D

It looks like they have paid out just to see if you would accept that amount and be happy with it. I would ask for a full S.A.R here to see how much they really do owe you. I suspect it is a lot more..

Ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

it will be a lot more, i've noticed quite a few threads where this has happened lately, and when they get their statements theres always a lot more, seems to be a new trick their using, remind them that their 40 days are up, use the template in the library for noncompliance to your sar

OK I GIVE IN

Halifax £3600 charges, won with C/I £6400

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Bug**r all recieved 03/11/06

Prelim guesimate sent for £3000 03/11/06

Cr*p one CONNED statements 08/06 ROFLMAO

Cr*p one charges=£976

con int 34.9% £1,003.75 £1,979.75.

As you hadn't ACTUALLY made a claim to them in writing

as far as i can see it couldn't be in Full & Final settlement of your claim beacuse you hadn't actually started a claim.

Do as UKAviator says and get a SAR request to them and find out how much they do owe.

Can you post the contents of their letter to you so we can see their exact wording?

Paul

what do you reckon? It says it hopes this resolves my complaint, which i never made.......

RBS LETTER

Than you for your letter of 12 March 2007. I am sorry that you have concerns regarding the charges that have been applied to your account.

We explain all of our t&s including our feeds and charges at account opening and they form the basis of your agreement with us. Full details are available at any time on our website and in our branches, and updates are sent out regularly tour customer. For your convenience I am enclosing these.

RBS has for a number of years provided many every day banking services to customers free of charge when accounts are in credit of within a previously agreed overdraft limit. These services include access to our branch network, cheques, Direct Debits, Standing Orders, UK debit card transactions and UK ATM withdrawals.

Whilst our services are provided without a corresponding charge, we do make charges when customers, by their actions, request an increase to or the creation o fan overdraft in excess of their previously agreed limit. By reviewing such requests we provide an additional service to customers in many instances allowing items to be paid either by creating or increasing an overdraft. These charges can be avoided entirely by arranging suitable borrowing facilities in advance.

For these reasons, we do not agree with the basis of your complain. We believe that the charges we levy are for providing services and that they are not penalties or charges for default. Furthermore we believe that these charges are fair, reasonable and transparent.

However having reviewed your case and as gesture of goodwill and without admission of liability or error, in this instance we are prepared to offer the amount of **** paid direct to your account. This amount excludes any packaged account fees or interest paid.

To accept this offer in full and final settlement of your complain please let me know by completing the attached form and returning it to us in the reply paid envelope provided. If you would like to discuss this offer please contact the number above.

Any charges that properly accrue in the future will be applied to your account in line with our published tariff and in accordance with your agreement with the bank. Should you be unwilling to accept these, we may need to consider if we are prepared to continue to provide you with your existing banking facilities.

I trust this will resolve your complaint.

FSA guidelines state we can regard your complaint as closed if we do not hear from you within 8 weeks. If you do need to take your complaint forward please let me know within this time.

MY RESPONSE

Dear Mr Watt

Account: *

Letter of 22nd March

Thank you for your letter of 22nd March, where a goodwill gesture offer was made for £* and subsequently accepted.

I am a bit confused however, as I am yet to receive my statements as requested in my letter of 12th March or order to calculate the ‘real cost’ of the charges applied to my account over the past years. I would be grateful if a list of all charges, or failing that, all my statements which you have available to you, preferably from the initiation of my account could be sent to me as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

I would definatley send a SAR request, that way they ahve to send ALL info within 40 days to you, if you just ask for statements they will just delay you and not give you all info

You can put your letter initially then continue it with the contents of the template for the SAR letter.

Also state that you only accepted this payment as part payment of charges until the full amount is known (they will probaby then take the money straight back then)

MAke sure you head your letter

'Data Protection Act Subject Access Request'

Paul

can they take the money back? I thought given it was a goodwill gesture they couldn't?

I have paid off my overdraft and taken my limit to zero so there isn't really much money in there to play with, but what I do have i need for living!

I have sent the initial letter but will sent the SAR with the bit about part settlement.

Has nayone had money taken back off them before?

Thanks

I think you will find that in every case where a payment has been made as a 'goodwill gesture' and the person has accepted it as PART payment they have taken the money back as they offer it as full and final settlement.

You will probably get a letter back stating that you accepted this money in full settlement, but we will deal with that when it happens.

As you never initiated a claim in the first place how can they offer a settlement for it?

Keep us up to date and ask if you have any more queries or problems

Paul

• 1 month later...

hi all

just received my statements from rbs. i requested them in March, they sent me an offer of £1500 without sending statements, i accepted and persued statements.

i have totted up and it comes to c£3k without interest. obviously i have to deduct the £1.5k which ive received already. how do i go about this? im a bit unsure how i deduct the 1.5k already received. I'm going to do my request tomorrow so any ideas gratefully received.

i'm going for CI. is this at 29.84%? thats the rate i can find on their website, any confirmation grateful.

also I'm in Scotland so not sure how this affects my claim. once interest is on its about £7k arrggggghh which is well outwith the Scottish limit.

Thanks

Fi

I am putting together my schedule of charges. I've used the following rates, can anyone tell me if they are correct?

interest rate for royalties gold - 16.35%

unauthorised borrowing rate for CI - 29.84%

Thanks