Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    avantiblue Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Feb 2007

Default Offer after first letter but without interest

Hi everyone, i sent a first letter taken from this site for 1521 + interest (390), however the bank wrote back offering the 1521 but no interest. I dont know what to do as i havent filed a case in the court, am i just being cheeky about the interest or do i carry on with a second letter and threaten court action.

Basic Account Holder

Cagger since : Mar 2007

Default Re: Offer after first letter but without interest

Hi avantiblue,

Good news on the offer first and foremost. I would personally take the money and run. As far as I am told the interest can only be claimed in court.

A couple of quick questions...
    1)Who did you send your original letter to? Branch/Customer Relations?
    2)How long did the reply take?

I am waiting for a reply from my prelim letter and it seems it can vary from case to case when they decide to settle. I am clamiing a little less than you so hopefully I will get same result as you have!

Hurrah again for ya!

superward

superward vs First Direct - WON!!!
    superward vs RBS - WON!!!
    Follows
    Following

Mumofthreeboys

Quote Originally Posted by avantiblue View Post
    Hi everyone, i sent a first letter taken from this site for 1521 + interest (390), however the bank wrote back offering the 1521 but no interest. I dont know what to do as i havent filed a case in the court, am i just being cheeky about the interest or do i carry on with a second letter and threaten court action.
    I take it this interest is 8% s69 interest - if so, you can only claim this when you file at court.

You can claim a proportion of your overdraft interest and this should be included in your letters should you wish to work it out.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    isidore Informative isidore Informative isidore Informative isidore's Avatar

Cagger since : Aug 2006

I think the important bit is you clarify to us what you mean by "interest". Is it the 8% as MOTB has said, or is it debited / overdraft interest?

The interest seems too high to be debited / overdraft interest and if you have started with 8% then I would be inclined to accept this letter as you have essentially started off your claim wrong.

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!
    Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC 498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard 705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    avantiblue Novitiate

Cagger since : Feb 2007

i wrote an initial first letter claiming my charges back to my local branch, however the offer came from the following address, i now know that this is the department that deals with claims, so i suggest that you write direct to them

i did send a cheeky letter rejecting the offer asking for interest, however i will now send off the acceptance letter today and take the money they offered which was 100% of my charges.

Royal Bank of Scotlandicon
    Customer Relations Unit
    The Forthstone
    56 South Gyle Crescent
    Edinburgh, EH12 9LE

Basic Account Holder

Cagger since : Mar 2007

Thanks for the reply. I think you are doing the right thing by accpeting the money. Good to hear you sent the 1st letter to your branch...I did the same thing...sent letter to branch but still waiting. Not to worry though - got a PS3 today So, that will take my mind of the waiting on the postie which is torture! haha.

superward vs First Direct - WON!!!
    superward vs RBS - WON!!!
    Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details