• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBOS agreed to pay but I want settlement by cheque

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have asked to be payed in full by cheque because my rbos account was handed over to Credit Management Services(CMS) This account has a personal loan outstanding on it(taken out only to pay off account which was 80% bank charges)

I wrote to them rejecting their offer of full payment into this account and asked for a cheque in settlement. I will then pay off the personal loan via regular direct debit.

I have recieved a letter stating " The Bank's Customer Relations Unit has advised this office that you have accepted a full and final settlement for the reimursement of fees and charges on your account- I never signed the acceptance letter and did not return it

A figure of £1100.00 has been credited to your account,which after repayemnt of any other borrowing,has bought your accounts into credit by £171.51 A cheque for this amount has been enclosed.

Where do I go from here?

Do I cut my losses or do I fight this all the way and reject this enforced offer and stiil demand a full cheque?

All help gratefully accepted

Cheers

Baslow138

You can fight it, but you need to convince a judge to accept that you should be paid by cheque not through your account. Given that you owe them this money (I know it sucks), you will be hard fought to justify this to a judge because you ARE receiving your full settlement. There are lots of people in similar positions to you and they are generally being told that they don't really have much hope.

JMO - would be interested to hear if anyone has a different opinion to this?

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Unfortunatley T4ff is right.

If you owe the bank money they are entitled to take what you owe them and give you ther difference,

It sucks, but thats how the court would see it.

Unless yo have good mitigating circumstances.

This isn't an attack on the OP, but I can't see why people are getting so worked up about this issue of the bank paying off outstanding debts with bank charge refunds....

Yes it would be nice to have a big fat wad of cash for the use of, but it's just as big a result, IMO, to be debt free and not servicing loans for the next 5 years.

I think that in most cases, it would seem that the overdraft / dca loan or whatever ends up being credited by the refund isn't the worst debt and therefore isn't the most important debt to pay off first.

There can sometimes be those that would rather worry about debt at another time and would rather go see Mickey Mouse but I think the majority are faced with bigger threats hanging over their heads than a DCA managed loan agreement.

Don't believe you are attacking and can understand your reason for asking - I always used to wonder the same. I think you do learn over time though that most people have a genuine reason for trying to obtain cheque payments in order to clear more critical debts first.

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Spot on T4FF I wouldn't have taken out the debt if it wasn't constant threats on my house,family life,etc over a few quid from a 'respected' billion profit making company. We were talking a couple of payments not systematic fraud on my part.

I want the right to pay off any loan I took out over the same timescale previously agreed. Only the unlawful bank charges added to the account took the account into CMS hands. I want control back

Guest NATTIE

I should add which i have on many occasions that if an offer is made prior to suing the bank they can pay into an active account with any funds if it is at CMS and the account becomes in credit to be sent out via cheque as the account would be closed at that point. I know it is not what you want to hear but you will have to accept it. I know you have written to accept it providing a cheque is sent, which they but only for the difference.

I should add which i have on many occasions that if an offer is made prior to suing the bank they can pay into an active account with any funds if it is at CMS and the account becomes in credit to be sent out via cheque as the account would be closed at that point. I know it is not what you want to hear but you will have to accept it. I know you have written to accept it providing a cheque is sent, which they but only for the difference.

Not exactly! I wrote to say I would accept if a full settlement was paid by cheque. I did not accept any offer but they paid it into the account anyway